Who on here is old enough to remember......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Who on here is old enough to remember......

Post by AJMD429 »

.....shooting rats at the city dump.... :twisted:

https://youtu.be/aQpZhJBipoA

That was SO cool.....especially if there were ceramic toilets, sinks, or bathtubs involved and you had a semiautomatic....they shattered SO satisfyingly.....! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Who on here is old enough to remember......

Post by ollogger »

Oh yes I can recall the fun at the dump on a Sunday shooting spree, tons of rats & when they got spooked
there was no shortage of other targets, towards evening if ya quit shooting the bear would come in & give you a good show
all lots of great fun, but jeepers that was 40 - 50 + years ago, how did that happen?

old logger
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

I'm just a pup at 52 compared to youse geezers but I'm old enough, when just a wee lad, to have attempted to put a discarded antique thick-screened picture-tube telly out of its misery with an H & R topper 20 ga. and federal #3 buckshot. It took me months of grass mowing and pecan harvesting to pay for the hunting uncle's passenger-side f-150 window but pop had to pay for the poor guy's trip to the e.r. and the hole in his shin.

Bad idea !.....Bad Ray !
m.A.g.a. !
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

The small town I grew up in was divided by the Arkansas river. Guys would bow fish from the bridge and shooters would drive down around the bend and shoot whatever they brought and mostly clean up after themselves. If you wanted to hunt, there were old pecan orchards everywhere for squirrels or you could walk the train tracks leading out of town and get rabbits. No one thought anything of it. My Grandmother's place was just 2 acres but she had 12 pecan trees and there were always squirrels to keep out of her pecans.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

When I was a kid in the 1950's we shot rat at the dump .. also shot all the glass bottles we could find. It was a great time to be a kid.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

My Uncle owned the marina across the road from the city dump. We'd go up on the roof of the pole barn he had shoot at them sniper style.

Wm
Last edited by wm on Wed May 15, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Rodents, Yes.
Rats with Daisy pump from under a goat pen two blocks away and prairie dogs galore 400 yards from back door with Winchester M61.

PD ARE STILL THERE AND HAVE ALSO MIGRATED NORTH A BIT AS OF MY LAST VISIT TWO YEARS AGO.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Didn't have a city dump nearby as a kid but we had pigeons at the local dairy farm. Great Grandpa brought them in and they became flying rats to the later generations.

We hunted with Crosman pellet rifles and my pump pistol. My brother used to wing shoot them from inside the hog feeder as they came in to land. We got a dime apiece for the carcasses and after one of the owners saw the trick from the hog feeder and how fast you had to be to beat the hogs to the dead pigeon he put us on the honor system. We would have never thought of cheating and turned in a paper every couple days with our count.

That and picking up beer and soda bottles along the road were are major sources of cash flow until we got big enough to do farm work or caddy at the golf course.

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I always heard about this, but Dad wanted no part of it, so never had the chance.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Another old "rat basher". We used clubs on the slow ones. Ben Luker had a dump out side Riverside, Michigan. Friday night get in the back of his pickup, his son driving and ease up to the piles with not lights. 22 rifles and shotguns pointed over the roof. Hit the brights and the fun began. Expend the ammo, jump down with the "bashing sticks" and take care of the slow ones.
Come back in about 30 minutes and do it all over again. My 22 was a Savage 187 with an old Iver Johnson 12 gauge 32 in full choke matt rib barrel. Still have both.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Aaahhhh - the arcane art of dump rat shooting ! :mrgreen:

My best friend & I used to go every Sunday, when the dump was closed.

I once had a .22LR Remington Nylon 76 that I dedicated to close range (like, feet) dump rat shooting by removing the rear sight elevator so the rear sight sat all the way down on the barrel - but, the then-new sanitary landfill process soon put an end to that.

I didn't feel too bad, as dump rat shooting became so popular that instead of having a dump to ourselves, many other shooters started showing up.

We quit when some of the shooter's, instead of standing atop the dump & shooting down, climbed down in there and started shooting up. :shock:

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

No I feel ashamed as I do not remember such things. All we had was acres and acres of prairie dogs and about a bazillion jack rabbits. But I am okay with that trade.😉
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Oh heck yea, we had a city dump and when i was a young whipper snapper we would strap on our 22 pistols and shoot rats.
Big fun and we wore our pistols on our hips and nobody gave it a second thought, now days well you know what happened. :roll:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

My brother and I used to regularly walk the banks of the Delaware river kicking drift wood and other things looking for em....those suckers were fast and as we used old model Rugers in .357.....using light loads ...We didn't hit too many. But the many other inanaimate targets were a blast......this was in the years '72-'74....

Next door, my inlaws had a dairy farm with a huge old barn.......the cows were on the ground floor and the rats ran the second, third floors and of course, were always the in the feed rooms. Obviously we couldn't use single projectile guns or heavy shotguns so I devised an excellent shot load for an 1886 in 45-90 which fed from the mag and was deadly. This was in the day before flashlights had any brightness using D cells the best we could.....had some serious fun.

Then during my 43 years as a Teamster the warehouse and rest of the plant was full of rats but these were the two legged variety and there was a law against elimination of these pests.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

That’s how my old 18.5 barrel 870 got its name! ( The Dump Broom )

This was a demolition dump about 30 years ago.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

There was an old dump North of town when I was young. My older brother and I used to use .22s and have a lot of fun. It is a housing area now.

I did get to where I could empty my Marlin Glenfield 60 in about 3 seconds. I missed a lot of rats that way, but it was sure fun. I got accused of having a full auto a bunch of times, but no one ever figured out the trick. Hold the rifle in my left hand and squeeze the stock between my ribs and upper arm. Take my right hand and point the index finger straight out. Put it in the trigger guard and jerk it back and forth as fast as I could move. Those rats moved like their heads were on fire and their butts were catching. My older brother then would shoot at the moving targets. It was a lot of fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

It was closer to the beach, than the dump... and guns in my adolescence were verboten... But... still remember the first bikini I saw...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!