Question for the American members regarding serial numbers.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Question for the American members regarding serial numbers.

Post by EG73 »

Always wondered this.

In regards to firearm serial numbers, whenever an American posts there number in a forum it’s always like 12**

Whilst on the Australian forums I’m on we just go 1234

Don’t bother hiding it etc. So my question is - why do people hide the number?
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Re: Question for the American members regarding serial numbers.

Post by rossim92 »

I wanna know also.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Maybe they know it was STOLEN AND DO NOT WANT THE COPS TO SEE THE FULL NUMBER?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Whenever I have done that it was because I didn't want anyone to know. It was not a stolen gun as I have had it since I bought it. Just because.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just sort of a custom here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Savage wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:23 pm Just sort of a custom here.
Yep.

Think of it this way.....we've seen everyplace else get guns confiscated, after they were just 'registered' under some lame excuse, so we want 'plausible deniability'....."what gun....'1234...?'....no that's not the one I had; I had some other one.....I forget the number on it though...."

I'm not sure it would work though; it seems the only realistic defense against gun confiscation is to REFUSE to 'register' them in the first place. Widespread anonymous civilian ownership of 'military-style' firearms appears to be the single best way to assure a society will remain stable and not morph into a police-state.

Otherwise, bullets wind up being the next step, which seldom ends well (although I'd say the American Revolution is a sterling example of an exception to that).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Firstly, it's nobody's business what the SN is of a firearm someone else owns.

It's also a hedge/defense against the possibility that some lowlife will give the SN to law enforcement, claiming that the gun with that SN was stolen from them whenever.

Human beings being human, the accused may not have saved, or even received (as in the case of a local F-to-F buy), a bill of sale that proves their legitimate ownership.

The claimant may even have gone as far as making up a bill of sale in their name, in an effort to bolster their false claim.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:36 pm
I'm not sure it would work though; it seems the only realistic defense against gun confiscation is to REFUSE to 'register' them in the first place. Widespread anonymous civilian ownership of 'military-style' firearms appears to be the single best way to assure a society will remain stable and not morph into a police-state.

Otherwise, bullets wind up being the next step, which seldom ends well (although I'd say the American Revolution is a sterling example of an exception to that).
Tangent Alert...

Sure, the citizens are still armed, but there are politicians openly advocating for door to door confiscation, mass arrest and imprisonment, and even the use of nuclear arms on U.S. soil against disobedient American citizens.

They allow the citizens to remain armed in order to "Soothe the savage beast". It creates a false sense of security, when the truth is that elements of our government are willing and prepared to kill us all.

Look at society. There is no privacy. Your every electronic communication, all of your purchases and financial transactions, are recorded and stored for no other reason than to use the information against you at some future date. Perhaps it's hard to recognize, but the U.S. A. is already an authoritarian police state. Just because they haven't yet kicked down your door in the middle of the night doesn't mean they wouldn't hesitate to do so.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

Thanks for the answers. I just assumed it was “if this gun was stolen at some point I don’t want the owner recognising the number and wanting it back”. Which is pretty dodgy lol.

Anyways, cheers lads :)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I totally agree with Pete's reasoning, and that is why I don't post the full number on my guns. Many of mine are old antique guns that came to me as cash purchases at guns shows, so no sales receipt. If someone knew the full serial number they could (as Pete mentioned) claim their stolen gun was the one I had if they simply made up a false receipt.
I actually had this happen many years ago when displaying my guns at a National NRA Gun Show. A man came up to my table and claimed a Schoyen Ballard I had on display was his stolen gun. He was extremely agitated, and no doubt had indeed had a gun stolen that quite possibly was similar. He demanded I let him exam my Ballard, and I told him in no uncertain terms he couldn't even touch the gun without law enforcement there.
I asked if he'd filed a police report, and if the report listed the gun's serial number. He assured me he had, so I told him to go get a copy and bring it back. Then with law enforcement at the show, we'd compare his report to my gun and I'd gladly hand the gun over to him. In this particular case I did have a receipt, as I'd purchased the gun from my LGS.
He left the table and said he'd be back the next day with his police report. I never saw him again, and I realized either it was a scam, or he didn't have any serial number listed on his police report.
I never allow strangers to handle guns I own, and I wont post serial numbers complete on any public forum. Too easy to file a false report with police once someone has your information, and probably pictures you posted with it!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good question, good answers.... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Pete44ru wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:25 pm .

It's also a hedge/defense against the possibility that some lowlife will give the SN to law enforcement, claiming that the gun with that SN was stolen from them whenever.

Human beings being human, the accused may not have saved, or even received (as in the case of a local F-to-F buy), a bill of sale that proves their legitimate ownership.

The claimant may even have gone as far as making up a bill of sale in their name, in an effort to bolster their false claim.

Exactly this! The main reason I didn’t list them.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"It's also a hedge/defense against the possibility that some lowlife will give the SN to law enforcement, claiming that the gun with that SN was stolen from them whenever."

Wow....I thought I was fairly non-naive, but I hadn't thought of THAT....

Makes sense though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

If I had any guns (mine were all lost in a boating accident) I would never consider putting the serial numbers in any public forum for all the reasons Pete cited.

Post by Twodot »

Marvin S wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:43 am

Exactly this! The main reason I didn’t list them.
Can anyone actually point to a real life example of this happening? Or is this another piece of internet "wisdom" like the one that claims handloads should never be used in your every day carry gun because .... you know the rest.?

And for the record, I never will post a serial number on line, just because.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Marvin S wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 10:43 am

Can anyone actually point to a real life example of this happening ?

Or is this another piece of internet "wisdom" ?

Yes.

A fellow gun club member had that pulled on him about 4 years ago, but luckily had a bill of sale that pre-dated the date of the so-called theft/claim.

This is why I place the bill-of-sales I get with a gun under the gun's grips or buttplate.