Browning Model 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hap
Levergunner

Browning Model 71

Post by hap »

I have a problem with misfires in my model 71 Browning. I have read everything here and elsewhere and tried them all plus several things I came up with myself. I feel I am an expert(almost) at disassembly and reassembly as I have done this many times trying all of the various procedures. The last thing I am going to do is to try filing down around the firing pin to see if that will let it protrude out of the hole farther. Yes, I know this will probably weaken the pin but I am at a loss as what to do next. I have ordered a new pin from Midwest Firearms hoping that maybe my pin is too short to begin with and, I will have a spare(for$59).
Some things I tried was using a small rod in place of the spring inside the firing pin body and making it a solid one, and shorting the return spring. Several other major things I attempted did not help such as filing down the slot that the hammer passes through to hit the firing pin. That was my last big hope that did not work but the hammer can definitely hit the pin with full force now. I really hate to put this rifle to rest in the safe because I have spent so much time checkering and installing receiver sights and other improvements to it. I also just received new 250 grain bullets fro Alaskan Bulletworks I was planning to use on a big bull elk. Darn!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning Model 71

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the forum !

Since Browning 71's don't have the later model's rebounding hammer (notorious for light strikes), there's usually three things that can cause your .348's light strikes:

1) There might very well be crud built up in the bolt's FP channel that's retarding FP fall
2) The mainspring might have lost some power
and/or
3) The rifle might be starting to acquire excessive headspace. ( The .348 headspaces on it's rim)

The first thing I would do (economically) would be to remove the FP from the bolt & flush/brush out the FP hole, then inspect it and the FP for any very small burrs or metallic shards.

If that didn't cure the light strikes, I would add then a thick washer to the rear end of the mainspring, which would (in effect) strengthen the MS by pre-loading it.

The next (more expensive) step would be to have the headspace checked & maybe corrected - which excessive headspace might be corrected by reworking the forward end of both locking lug recess' in the sides of the bolt. (or replacing the locking lugs)

hap
Levergunner

Post by hap »

Thanks a bunch. Tried all the things you recommended except the headspace check. I did replace the old mainspring with a new one too. Will see if I can find a gunsmith capable of working on this rifle-there are no good smiths around here so I may have to send it off which is what I was trying to avoid by working on it myself.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

One of my Browning 71s had a bent firing pin.
It would fire if the lever was cycled, but if I ever let the hammer down, then cocked to to fire, it would not.

Can you take pencil or punch and lightly push on the back of the fire pin and make it protrude through the face of the bolt? Or do you feel resistance?
If you roll the firing pin on a flat surface, does it roll true, or can you see daylight under it on one side more than the other.

I simply used my hands to coerce the pin into a straighter shape, and test by rolling it on the table until there was no variation.

Worked like a champ after that.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

vancelw wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:58 am
One of my Browning 71s had a bent firing pin.

It would fire if the lever was cycled, but if I ever let the hammer down, then cocked to to fire, it would not.

Can you take pencil or punch and lightly push on the back of the fire pin and make it protrude through the face of the bolt? Or do you feel resistance?

If you roll the firing pin on a flat surface, does it roll true, or can you see daylight under it on one side more than the other.

I simply used my hands to coerce the pin into a straighter shape, and test by rolling it on the table until there was no variation.

Worked like a champ after that.

Good to know, as I never experienced that - Thanks for posting about it. :)

kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Does anyone make an old style (free float) replacement firing pin for these Browning 71s and 1886s? That would probably solve all the problems involved. My older B92 carbines have the original style firing pin, and as would be expected, no reliability issues. From a reliable source, I understand Rossi firing pins can be used to replace the current Miroku 1892 spring-loaded style. It would be nice if there was such a remedy for the Miroku made Browning and Winchester 71 and 1886.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Being the proud owner of a slowly diminishing stock of 20k CCI primers with the slightly irritating characteristic of having 2 to 3% "dead primers" I would assume you have assured yourself it is the gun and not the primers? If it still fails with a new batch Federal (easiest to ignite) primers it is for sure the gun.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
hap
Levergunner

Post by hap »

The firing pin is straight, tried different primers, and have come to the conclusion that the headspace must be off, so I'm trying to find someone to check the headspace.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Anyone who has difficulty putting one back together -ask and I will help if possible.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

IIRC, Miroku makes all the "new" 1886 and 71 rifles for Winchester (and is actually a part of the same parent company).

Again IIRC the light hammer strike symptom was not unusual on the new Miroku 1886 rifles.
When new, my 1886 .45-90 rifle often just dented primers of factory 45-70 and 45-90 ammo without firing.
Also the action was not as slick as my 100 year old M92 action.

I met a very experienced CAS shooter who said he could fix both for $100, so I took the rifle to him.
When he finished with the rifle it functioned flawlessly AND he told me to use only Federal Match primers (like he and all his CAS buddies did) because studies showed that they fired with less impact than other large rifle primers. I switched and have never had any more such problems with the rifle.
I also switched to using only Federal GM215M primers in any rifles with a compressed powder charge. I bought several thousand Fed GM215M primers and should be set for life.

When 86er, Rkrodle and I worked up 400 grain African DG loads (all compressed) for my Miroku 1895 .405, I switched to Federal GM215M primers for the final load and gained approx 35 fps over the other mag primers I had tested! That load reached 2076 fps MV with zero deviation for the last 5 shots chronyed! I quit there and went to RSA and shot a cape buff. :)
PS I have 4 witnesses for the final chrony event and the bench log for proof! :)
PPS The final load averaged 48,000 PSI on my Pressure Trace II and might not have been safe had I not had the chamber lengthened to allow dummy loads with 400 grain Woodleigh bullets crimped at the cannelure.

Results may vary, but the Federal primers are worth the money for me.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

crs wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:34 am
IIRC, Miroku makes all the "new" 1886 and 71 rifles for Winchester (and is actually a part of the same parent company).

Again IIRC the light hammer strike symptom was not unusual on the new Miroku 1886 rifles.

Actually, the light hammer strikes only occurred in Miroku's that were built with a rebounding hammer.

The OP's Browning/Miroku Model 71 has no rebounding hammer, as it was built before the corporate rebounding hammer lawyer requirement.