Marlin 336 Mainspring

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kjorgy
Levergunner

Marlin 336 Mainspring

Post by kjorgy »

Does anyone know an easy way of getting the plate on that holds the mainspring? I would like to get the plate to the first notch on the upper tang closest to the hammer but cannot get it done. any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks! this is a marlin 336 from the '50's.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Marlin 336 Mainspring

Post by mark »

I use an adjustable wrench on the plate that tensions the mainspring.

Mark
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I install the lower tang loosely with the spring on the hammeri strut but no tension. I have a tool I made (plate with a hole for the strut) but in the past I used to keep the retaining plate off to one side put the muzzle on a piece of carpet on the floor and use a semi stout flat blade screwdriver to push the retaining plate down and into place in the notches. Easy peasy. The bottom is the only part that has to be in a specific spot.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Whoa whoa whoa just reread the op and 336’s from the 50’s don’t have notches on the upper tang the model 36 has them and the very early 336 from the 40’s may have had them. Is your “plate flat or sorta L shaped? Different animal all together.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
kjorgy
Levergunner

Post by kjorgy »

Correction on my post. Those notches are on the lower tang or trigger plate. the piece that is inserted is curved "L" shaped.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Then what I said in the above text will work. Largish flat blade screwdriver pushing bottom of L shape into notches on lower tang :D