For you older guys, what type of shooting glasses do you wear?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
horsesoldier2019
Levergunner

For you older guys, what type of shooting glasses do you wear?

Post by horsesoldier2019 »

I am looking for other options. I really don't care for progressive lenses. Currently I use Safety Glasses that are .75 power with full lens magnification. Curious to know what is working for others.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Re: For you older guys, what type of shooting glasses do you wear?

Post by guido4198 »

I've been wearing Decot HyWyd shooting glasses for 39 years. As my vision deteriorated with age...they recommended adjusting the power in the strong side lens to better see the sights. Leave the weak side lens power alone for seeing the target, and keep both eyes open. Works GREAT and allows me to shoot iron sights on handguns and rifles without having to use red dots or scopes. Added Bi-focal lenses as well, when that became necessary. They aren't cheap...but they are a quality product, and the Decot folks KNOW how to build glasses for shooters.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

AND Decot lenses are changeable, I have been using their glasses for trap for many years, clear, vermillion,target brown and yellow lenses in my shooting bag.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I just use my everyday frames and lenses. Being legally blind without corrective lenses takes away most of my options.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Decot makes Rx lenses too
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

When I used to wear contacts I used Ray Bans . Now that I’m wearing prescription lenses again I wear my normal glasses . Depending on the day I wear always clear or the ones that darken in the sunlight . I find st the clay target games I do better with my clear prescription lenses and not the ones that darken . Doesn’t seem to make much of a difference from the bench although if I think about it beforehand I opt for the clear . I always wanted to try Decot HyWids in burnt target orange but never would cough up the scheckels .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Regular prescription glasses with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6a20stHk6k

I used flat black paint around the hole instead of electrical tape, worked much better.

I've also tried the diopter thing by Lyman that attaches to your glasses with a suction cup. Works, but kind of annoying to use.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
horsesoldier2019
Levergunner

Thanks for the ideas. I still get away pretty good with the lower power lenses allowing me to see the sights and still have the target in pretty good focus too, but I can tell changes are coming again soon. I will look into other options as well.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I need glasses period. I tried contacts but never found them comfortable. Besides I work with chemicals and the last thing you want is to get splashed with a chemical wearing contacts. So I happen to have a pair of very expensive prescription safety glasses. These things are progressives with all of the bells and whistles. They work very well for me.

It took a bit with the progressives to not have to hunt and seek for the sharpest view of sights but like anything once you find the magic spot muscle memory builds and it becomes automatic.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Sadly it is a issue I have been wrestling with for a couple years now and have not found my ideal solution. I appreciate you bringing the issue up as I am always open to hearing others views on it.

I actually have the best luck shooting sans glasses these days …… which I take some comfort in because if I ever deploy my handgun in a self defense situation it will likely be without my eye glasses (I use them mostly just to drive).

Wm
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

First I changed all my standard buck horn sights to the truck glow replacements, helped me some, helped the wife a lot. Then I tried the skinner peep sights. Execellant results for me wife is still with tru glow., I tend to lose glasses in the thick stuff, revolvers have to have retaining straps, loose them too. Most shots less than 10 yards.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

'Nudder' vote for Decot Hy-Wyd. Satisfied customer for 25 years.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
horsesoldier2019
Levergunner

Good to know about the Skinners. I don't have scopes on my levers yet but getting close to not being able to focus. CCW should be another concern for those needing glasses, as several have stated.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Speaking of Skinner sights ……

https://gunsmagazine.com/gear/skinner-s ... lot-45-70/

Wm
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Nice rifle but it’s been done on Marlin 1895’s. While a take down is convenient for some applications parts that come apart get lost at the worst possible time.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I should use them but dont. I have strong astigmatisms and dry eyes which fluctuate how well I see at any given time and with heat and swamp moisture I get tired of them fogging up and getting dirty. I stick to red dots these days, or should I say 'red crooked L shape slashes' which is what I percieve the dot as. :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I usually use the fuzzy red circle in the center. My astigmatism sometimes shows a line of 3 fuzzy sort of round things.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've been using Bolle Vigilantes for many years now. They have a snap in frame or the Rx lens which is behind the colored lens which is changeable and the glasses come with 4 or 5 different sets of lenses. Not cheap but very comfortable and great protection from lead splash. Really nice on the bike too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I also use the Decot Hy-Wyd, but mine are pretty old. If I had to buy them today I'm not sure I'd pay today's $275-$300 price for the frames and 4 lens sets I have in my older set. Glad I got them when they were 1/3rd that price!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

piller wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 5:24 pm I usually use the fuzzy red circle in the center. My astigmatism sometimes shows a line of 3 fuzzy sort of round things.
:lol: sorry that just rang true for me too, I have gotten pretty good at picking the killzone of the great Red L
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

COSteve wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 9:33 am A hole punch, black electrical tape, and a small nail will make a great paste-on diopter. I use them on my yellow tinted, progressive shooting glasses. BTW, the smaller the aperture hole, the longer the Depth of Field increase so make them small. In addition, because the tape is too close to your eye to focus on, it disappears into a ghost image with the center clear and sharp giving you a clear image of both the front sight and the target.

THis has abeen a good thread. Im going to try all these.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

For my EDC Glock 23, I cheated. I usually walk around with my glasses up on my head. And if I needed to pull from concealed I would not have time to move the glasses so I had the 23 milled for a holosun red dot. Fairly small, lightweight, good customer service(as I had to send it back) and with three sight options I found one I really like and can see with my glasses on my head. Reddot has 100,000 hour battery life, a solar panel built in, and if it does “go to sleep” has the shake awake feature that when it gets moved it instantly is back on full power. But being a two is one, one is none kinda guy I put silencer height open sights on it to co-witness with the reddot. Some money yes, but I can see what I am shooting at with or without my glasses.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.