Jeff Quinn review of the Ruger Wrangler

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Jeff Quinn review of the Ruger Wrangler

Post by JimT »

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Jeff Quinn review of the Ruger Wrangler

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Thanks for the link.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thanks Jim, I looked at Gunblast today and couldn't find the review. Looks like just what I've been waiting for, no worry's if it get wet or dirty. Sure is Good to see Jeff up and around. :D .
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Jim..Ring a bell, this "new" Wrangler? Remember the Ruger "Lightweights" and "Tri-Color?----6.
Model A Uzi’s
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:24 pm Hey Jim..Ring a bell, this "new" Wrangler? Remember the Ruger "Lightweights" and "Tri-Color?----6.

Not too many of them made ... they weren't popular. The standard Single Six was affordable. In those days they did not need a cheaper one. Nowdays the Wrangler can be bought for under $200 which makes it a steal!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea....never could get my hands on a tricolor...well, never gave it any effort....those big bore flattops bit me good.

Is that yours? ----6.
Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good to see Jeff in action again but he sure is a lip readers nightmare....... :shock:
I hope those six-guns sell well, they seem well thought out for the money... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:40 pm Is that yours? ----6.
No. I never saw one outside of a gun show. Never was interested in them.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, now I am more interested in the Wrangler. I honestly never had much love for the Single-Six.
As others noted, it is good to see Jeff looking better, but it is also clear he has been in a heck of a fight. Sure do wish him well, this Easter Sunday.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Well Jeff looks to be doing much better. Good to see that.

It looks like the frame, gate, etc, are metal injection molded. They look quite well done. Cerakote hopefully bonds well to aluminum. I'm sure they etch it first. It does allow for a consistent finish though. And by that I mean that the barrel and frame look the same. I find it hard to get excited about a gun with too many disparate metals and finishes. They tend to look like they are separate parts that someone slapped together.

I think this is an investment in the future for Ruger. When I was 16 and wanted to get my first handgun, I loved the Browning and Colt 22 autos but I couldn't afford one. What I could afford was a Ruger Mark I. For younger people starting out, the single-six is really kind of expensive. A lot more fathers are going to be able to afford to get their kids a Wrangler now.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"For younger people starting out, the single-six is really kind of expensive. A lot more fathers are going to be able to afford to get their kids a Wrangler now."

Yep. That's the draw. I don't see any downside; if you're gonna plunk down that much (but not enough for a Single-Six) you couldn't do better.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pretty nifty....Since I've had my stainless Single Six with both cyls, I'm not inclined to get this model. If I were to bite on another .22 wheel gun, it would probably be the Single Ten....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Nice review, and at under $200 I think they should sell well. But I hope I don't step on any toes by saying ALL those finishes are pretty utilitarian, and ugly to my eyes. I'd rather pay a little bit more and have blued barrel and cylinders, and a gloss black anodized frame. The flat finish doesn't do a thing for me.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Vall I heat what you are saying but today’s kids are different. When my son got his new (to him) truck the first thing he did was flat black plastic-dip the aluminum wheels. Arreggghhhh. They just see cool differently. We used to make fun of my Dad because he would wear black socks with sneakers .....now that’s the COOL (dumb as helll) thing.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I'm sure they'll sell a pile of them, but they don't interest me. I wouldn't put much stock in reviews that accept advertising dollars though. I'll stick with the single six and bearcat models.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

JimT wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:52 pm
Sixgun wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:24 pm Hey Jim..Ring a bell, this "new" Wrangler? Remember the Ruger "Lightweights" and "Tri-Color?----6.

Not too many of them made ... they weren't popular. The standard Single Six was affordable. In those days they did not need a cheaper one. Nowdays the Wrangler can be bought for under $200 which makes it a steal!

A short American Rifleman article on the 1950s aluminum alloy Ruger single six.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... ingle-six/

I myself could be inclined to buy a Wrangler but I think I will hold for now waiting for 22lr/22mag version to be offered. Or even more appealing to me a 32 mag version (wishful thinking probably).

I think they would make a nice woods walking sidearm for me in the appropriate holster.

Wm
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

fordwannabe wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:47 am Vall I heat what you are saying but today’s kids are different. When my son got his new (to him) truck the first thing he did was flat black plastic-dip the aluminum wheels. Arreggghhhh. They just see cool differently. We used to make fun of my Dad because he would wear black socks with sneakers .....now that’s the COOL (dumb as helll) thing.
I know I'm a dinosaur Tom. I still love gorgeous walnut, and rust bluing! Even if the cost was double these prices, it would be more appealing to a dinosaur.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am with ya Vall. I didn’t say it was me, just the kids. We ended up putting his wheels on Mrs fordwannabe’s truck and I couldn’t wait to get that stuff off of them and polish the aluminum. I have an old Hawes 22 revolver but keeping a low budget eye out for a single six in 22 lr/mag. The only problem is that darn Hawes hits where I point it.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

fordwannabe wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:27 am I am with ya Vall. I didn’t say it was me, just the kids. We ended up putting his wheels on Mrs fordwannabe’s truck and I couldn’t wait to get that stuff off of them and polish the aluminum. I have an old Hawes 22 revolver but keeping a low budget eye out for a single six in 22 lr/mag. The only problem is that darn Hawes hits where I point it.
IIIRC those Hawes single actions were made by J.P. Sauer and Sohn. They were and remain a on the upper end of quality material and machine work.

Wm
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

WM they seem to have made two versions of the 22. My buddy has one that is more a bearcat size, and mine appears to be the same size and weight as my Hawes 357. The 22 has liners in the cylinder and barrel but it is marked as a 22. She shoots soooo I am gonna keep it
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've owned a couple SAA style .22 revolvers, including a 1960's Colt dual cylinder version. Just never warmed up to a single action .22 revolver. I've always preferred my K22 S&W revolvers for both accuracy and reliability.