New toy from 1900

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

New toy from 1900

Post by M. M. Wright »

I managed to come away from last weeks show with this old shooter. 5 1/2" full blue, (refinished) from 1900. Has a bright side hammer too but the lockup is unbelievable. Front base pin hole is bushed too so whoever worked this old COLT FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER over really knew what he was doing as far as making a shooter. Killed most of the collector value but hey, I like it. Shoots good too. I perforated my burn barrel with it.

M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New toy from 1900

Post by Ray »

que calibre?
m.A.g.a. !
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

COLT FRONTIER SIIX SHOOTER is all the caliber ID Colt put on the 44-40.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

M. M. Wright wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:30 pm COLT FRONTIER SIIX SHOOTER is all the caliber ID Colt put on the 44-40.
And the coolest Colt ever. I can't believe they don't make and mark them as such today as a standard model.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

NICE!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Congrats ! That's a barn-burner of a find, for sure. :)

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Dang Ron that`s a beauty. 8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Pitchy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:01 pm Dang Ron that`s a beauty. 8) 8)
Thanks Lenn, I have too many of them but this one just called out to me.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That gun looks like another example of "someone who was bored on a Sunday afternoon". By that I mean it looks "clean" and not all pitted/beat up. The grips are honestly worn with no dents, cracks, etc and I'm sure the rest of the gun was the same way....used and not abused.

I'd strip that gun down to every part.....get rid of the $29.99 gunshop reblue.....acid it up and get it right again.---6
Model A Uzi’s
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:34 pm That gun looks like another example of "someone who was bored on a Sunday afternoon". By that I mean it looks "clean" and not all pitted/beat up. The grips are honestly worn with no dents, cracks, etc and I'm sure the rest of the gun was the same way....used and not abused.

I'd strip that gun down to every part.....get rid of the $29.99 gunshop reblue.....acid it up and get it right again.---6
The gun is so tight and in time that and the lettering is still so crisp I'm thinking about re-casing the frame and hammer and just keeping the blue. Inside of bbl and chambers look new and it shoots to point of aim with my ffg loads. If I just put it in my holster and drag it around with me I'll not live long enough to wear it down to how it should look. Wish I could just go shoot a match with it. Do you have a recipe for unbluing the frame? I actually have a couple of SAAs that are full blue
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:34 pm That gun looks like another example of "someone who was bored on a Sunday afternoon". By that I mean it looks "clean" and not all pitted/beat up. The grips are honestly worn with no dents, cracks, etc and I'm sure the rest of the gun was the same way....used and not abused.

The gun is so tight and in time that and the lettering is still so crisp I'm thinking about re-casing the frame and hammer and just keeping the blue. Inside of bbl and chambers look new and it shoots to point of aim with my ffg loads. If I just put it in my holster and drag it around with me I'll not live long enough to wear it down to how it should look. Wish I could just go shoot a match with it. Do you have a recipe for unbluing the frame? I actually have a couple of SAAs that are full blue. One from the custom shop with ivory and the other a commemorative that I made into a match gun with ivory. Maybe I should put ivories on it?
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
1894c

Post by 1894c »

that's a nice find, great old COLT...lucky... :)