Ithaca 66

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Ithaca 66

Post by gamekeeper »

Just on the unlikely off chance I ever find one in the UK, are they well made and likely to last ?
I know they were made between 63 & 78 but I have never seen or heard of one in the UK.
The reason I ask is that I'm looking for a single shot 20 gauge and being a Levergunner I just like the look of the Ithica.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ithaca 66

Post by wm »

If my memory serves me correctly JimT had one.

I know they show up on GunBroker and at gunshows with regularity so they seem to have a long life.

Wm
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Funny thing Gamekeeper...I've seen a million of them but never owned one....don't have an answer for that as everything I've read and the people who talk about them all say they are great outdoor plinkers.

Hey, come on over, I'll set ya up real good.....we can BS, shoot, then go out and find ya one....we will take that baby apart and ship it back to the U.K. in a load of bananas ....the same way those cartel people do it.- :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Six, that sounds like plan that could cost me more than a few shekels :lol: I do like the banana idea I could even eat the packing the Ithica comes in.
Wm, I had an idea Hobie had one too, I do see them on GunBroker occasionally and the prices seem reasonable.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I was intrigued with the Ithaca 66 -- and the Model 49 single-shot .22 "Saddle Gun" as advertised in Boy's Life magazine a looooong time ago ...

:lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill, I did very briefly have a model 49 in .22 magnum, it worked fine and accuracy wasn't bad, however it did not look like it was built to last long enough to become a family heirloom, I was just wondering if the 66 was any different. The 49 was a bit neglected when I first saw it so my comments may be a bit unfair, it still sits in the rack at my local toy shop and I often think of getting it back, perhaps if I find a 66 I will.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

had an Ithaca 66 in 12 ga as a teenager....very light weight and had full choke , 3" chamber....so of course I had to shoot it with 3" buck shot....that hurt a bit, but made tight patterns. . was kinda ugly but worked quite well

even with the full choke , that gun shot slugs beautifully...like a rifled slug barrel might. that gun was my sidekick for many mountain hikes and camping trips...shot grouse, quail, squirrels and rabbits with it, and one white tail

sold it when I needed $ in college.
cable
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I have one in 12 gauge. Built like a TANK.

Solid lockup. Few moving parts and they all look like things you could make it needed. Mine has a gold bead front and notch rear, and is accurate with slugs. Light weight so kicks like a mile.

And best of all......it IS a "lever" gun..... :mrgreen:

My neighbor has one and it was his only deer-gun for forty years; probably 100 deer with it, because he not only hunts regular season but gets on the military base hunts and cull-zone hunts and so on. His is scoped. Irony think he's ever had to take a second shot on a deer, and when he came over a few years ago to sight it in, he was cloverleafing slugs at 75 yards.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Just had a reply from Les Hovencamp of Diamond Gunsmithing, Ithaca NY. He confirmed what I thought, that the early Ithaca 66 was made with a cast steel receiver. I very much doubt that I'll find any 66 over here let alone a steel receiver model..... :(
Shame because all I've heard is that they were ALL, steel or otherwise, good shotguns. They were I believe a stop gap firearm like the model 49 rimfire, made when Ithaca was in financial trouble. Sometimes cheap and simple firearms happen to be popular if well designed, especially at the time when everyone watched Westerns and wanted something with a lever... :wink:
Trailboss
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Trailboss »

Got one as a present when I was a kid. Never really warmed up to it's looks, though it was built like a tank. I saved up and bought a Remington 1900 side by side. Gave the Ithaca 66 to my brother. Still have that Rem 1900.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I just read on the Ithaca Owners forum, some lucky dude in England found a 66 20 gauge two years ago, it may be the only one over here but I live in hope.
Some of you may wonder why I want a cheap old single shot when I had all those top grade Westley Richards to play with but not own, I can honestly say I've had more fun with inexpensive guns than all the "cost an arm and leg" firearms I ever owned. Of course I still appreciate the workmanship and quality of fine firearms but for foul weather, climbing over barbed wire and bouncing around in a Landover you can't beat a good old single barrel.... :wink:
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Set up a search on Guntrader matey, will email you when something comes up.

Also worth checking out Holts and Southams auctioneers.

Scrummy
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks Scummy, I have just put a wanted add on GunTrader and I search as many places as I can but I have always had a fantastic gift for wanting guns that are completely unobtainable.... :(
It must be something to do with my hunting instinct... :lol:
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

The hardest part may be finding it in 20 ga. My best friend since we were 13 had a 66 and still has his .22 single shot. His 66 was a 12, and all the ones owned by folks I knew were 12's. And you are correct, not the best made products Ithaca turned out. His M49 shows it's age but still shoots extremely well. More of a family heirloom than a collector. Like my American Arms 28 ga.
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Larkbill wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:35 am The hardest part may be finding it in 20 ga. My best friend since we were 13 had a 66 and still has his .22 single shot. His 66 was a 12, and all the ones owned by folks I knew were 12's. And you are correct, not the best made products Ithaca turned out. His M49 shows it's age but still shoots extremely well. More of a family heirloom than a collector. Like my American Arms 28 ga.
I have noticed that some on Ithaca Owners show their distain of the 66 & 49 :lol: I saw my old 49M today at my local toy shop and it did look a bit tatty next to my old Miroku Browning.
Perhaps I should give up my quest and look for a quality 20 gauge Parker instead, that is if our good friend 6pt-sika hasn't bought them all.... :D
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:23 pm
Larkbill wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:35 am The hardest part may be finding it in 20 ga. My best friend since we were 13 had a 66 and still has his .22 single shot. His 66 was a 12, and all the ones owned by folks I knew were 12's. And you are correct, not the best made products Ithaca turned out. His M49 shows it's age but still shoots extremely well. More of a family heirloom than a collector. Like my American Arms 28 ga.
I have noticed that some on Ithaca Owners show their distain of the 66 & 49 :lol: I saw my old 49M today at my local toy shop and it did look a bit tatty next to my old Miroku Browning.
Perhaps I should give up my quest and look for a quality 20 gauge Parker instead, that is if our good friend 6pt-sika hasn't bought them all.... :D
That 6pt chap does seem to like'em ;)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I don't blame him, when I worked in the trade Parkers were my favorite to work on, pity we don't see many over on this side of the pond.