1892 Winchester tang bolts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

1892 Winchester tang bolts

Post by fordwannabe »

Oh enlighten ones a buddy of mine has a 1892 circa 1897. When he purchased it it had a screw of sort sort that was NOT Winchester and a square nut as a tang screw. He bought a screw from gunparts Corp supposedly fits 1892 and 1894. Nope won’t fit in the threads. Any idea if the 92 and the 94 should use the same tang screw? Thanks
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1892 Winchester tang bolts

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, the tang screws are not identical, but if you message fellow forum member Steve ( www.stevesgunz.com ) he can tell you for sure.

OTOH, did the tang screw threads in the lower tang get messed up when the stovebolt was installed ?

If so, you might be able to just chase the threads & use the tang screw you ordered.

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Should use the same screw. 12-28 by about 1.8 or so.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks guys. He is gonna bring it over this week and we are gonna try a couple out of my guns. With your responses now I wonder what’s up?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

earlmck wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:42 pm Should use the same screw. 12-28 by about 1.8 or so.
Earl hit it right Tommy......I keep a couple of dozen laying around....even have a tap and die......if the threads are buggered up most hardware stores carry that size. ----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Most gun screws are bastard sizes. 6-48, 1/4-22(Mauser guard screws), 12-28, yer not going to find these at local hardware stores.

In this situation I'm wondering if the threads were drilled out to allow the nut & bolt to be used...? Yes it's a good idea to keep old/odd screws on hand. Numrich is your friend!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

In this case the hole in the tang is smaller than the screw they sent. It looks like the screw is approximately.020 bigger than the hole. 😏
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey FW, does the screw fit from the top but the threads do not?
According to a tap/ drill chart a 12-28 should have a hole of .1812 or a #14 drill for optimum threading.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Another thing is to try screwing it in from underneath....sometimes people only bugger the threads up half to 3/4 way down.
Model A Uzi’s
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

12-28 IS a standard size and quite common. Taps and dies are generally available at your local ACE hardware or similar. I've seen them at Lowes. Most gun screws are from the extra fine series and only common in guns and instruments.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Doesn’t fit too or bottom.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Tom..it comes down to this...get a 12-28 tap....and a die ...you will need it again in the future........and run it through...if it looks like there's enough meat to grab the screw, your in business. If not, your going to have to go up to a preferable 1/4 x 28 and probably will have to make the screw. The common 1/4 x 20 will be too coarse..it will work but eehhh, I don't like coarse screws on guns except for the wood.

Worst comes to worse, spend $50 on gas and stop over...I have all the stuff to make you a screw. Bring a stack of Ben's with ya....maybe something you want to go home with. :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sounds to me like they sent you the wrong screw. My local NAPA store has been real good about telling me what I have when I bring in a mystery screw. You might give yours a try with both the old screw and the replacement to see what you are working with.

Ford, why not pull a tang screw out of one of your rifles and see if it fits your buddy's?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I too think you have the wrong screw.
Every gun guy should spend the money for a thread pitch gauge.
20190416_083826-600x800.jpg
This will not do metric but they are available.
Just try different pitches until you find the right one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!