Chiappa Alaskan

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Chiappa Alaskan

Post by Scrumbag »

Hi folks,

Thought I would share a (rubbish phone camera) picture of my Chiappa (Taylors) Alaskan in .44 mag

The action is an 1892 clone and a takedown.

Have mounted a Leupold VXR 1.5-5x33 on it. Quite like the scope but wouldn't mind if it had an extra couple of inches of eye relief. (Only 6")

Seems to be quite fun to shoot though. Hoping to get a munjac with it in the next couple of weeks!

Next thing to get is a sling. Got a slogan "shotgun" sling coming meaning in theory no drilling for studs (The Kodiak, takedown 45-70 has a front swivel stud). Not sure why the Alaskan doesn't have the same.

Scrummy
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Chiappa Alaskan

Post by earlmck »

Now that's a slick looking set-up. And what is this "munjac" you're hoping to shoot with it?

I also put a scope on a m92 type (Browning) a couple weeks ago. I looked at that Leupold scope as being almost perfect for my needs but the eye-relief thing tipped me over to the Burris 2.75x.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice. I really like .44mag out of a rifle. I have a couple and they shoot well.
I use it more than 44-40 cause I'm getting lazy and the 44mag is easier to load.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Where you from Scrummy?
Nice rifle.
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

earlmck wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:02 am Now that's a slick looking set-up. And what is this "munjac" you're hoping to shoot with it?

I also put a scope on a m92 type (Browning) a couple weeks ago. I looked at that Leupold scope as being almost perfect for my needs but the eye-relief thing tipped me over to the Burris 2.75x.
Barking Deer
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That's a good gun.

I have NO problem putting sling studs on a gun; it results in a far more reliable sling system, with way less hassle, than the 'no-stud' slings people mess with. I guess on a 'vintage collectible' I would avoid modifying the gun, but then most 'vintage guns' that valuable, I'd just carry them in my hands anyway.

So I'd drill and tap the buttstock, and the forend cap, and put a normal sling on it...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BlaineG wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:01 pm
earlmck wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:02 am Now that's a slick looking set-up. And what is this "munjac" you're hoping to shoot with it?

Barking Deer
Lots of them in the UK, hence I wondered if this fellow is from UK
The deer are tiny but good eating.
Live in dense woodland and can be tricky to get on.
They do bark. Roe deer do too.
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Nathan, Axis deer bark as well, sound just like a little alarmed dog.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

octagon wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:54 am Nathan, Axis deer bark as well, sound just like a little alarmed dog.
Sure. Not familiar with them though bud.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Nice rifle. I'd just drill that fore-end cap and put a nut inside for the stud. Trim the screw short and maybe have to remove a little wood to get the cap back on. I think it would hold just fine.
You know, our whitetail "snort" with such an explosion of air that it could just as well have been described as a bark. Cherokee word for deer or buck is uh-how, with the how part sort of accented 'til it sounds like a snort, sort of. Many animal names sound like the noise the animal makes. chitock = chicken selow = squirrel geestu = rabbit
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Well folks, to give a little update, the eye relief on the VXR got to me a bit and sold the scope. (It's gone to a guy with a 450 Marlin that needed a scope so kinda fitting)

So far the "Slogun" sling is doing OK but may well hit up getting the stock drilled and tapped for a slingstud.

Still hoping to get a muntjac. I hunt in an area of the UK called Norfolk

Scrummy
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

IRRCthe muntjac have fangs/ tusks ?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:24 pm IRRCthe muntjac have fangs/ tusks ?
They do indeed!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I like the gun a lot, but now I think some photos of the aforementioned muntjac are in order, eh?
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

with tusks visible

It's like I give you people what you want ;)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup that's the deer I was seeing in my mind- the vampire Bambi.
They are tiny little deer right?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks for the portrait. what's the geographic location and range?
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:04 am Yup that's the deer I was seeing in my mind- the vampire Bambi.
They are tiny little deer right?
Yes sir, quite small:

Good size buck is 20" at the shoulders and would top out at 40 lb

Scrummy
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

According to the British Deer Scoiety (Which is well know for being conservative in it's estimation of distribution and numbers):

Though there are reports of them further North into the Scottish borders and NI as well

Scrummy
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hope you get a crack at a good buck with your .44 !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:12 pm I hope you get a crack at a good buck with your .44 !
Me too. Current project is to find a lower /shorter front sight post as shoots rather low at the moment.

Scrummy
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Scrummy just file the front sight down a little, shoot a group , file some & shoot until you are happy with POI. Just go easy or you could take too much with a heavy hand!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Nice! thanks for the info and education. The wonders of creation never cease to amaze me.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:04 am Scrummy just file the front sight down a little, shoot a group , file some & shoot until you are happy with POI. Just go easy or you could take too much with a heavy hand!
That was my first thought Gunny but it's a fibre optic one. The sight looks like a Williams Firesight which is about 0.45" high so will try the .343 they make.

Scrummy
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Grizz wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:55 am Nice! thanks for the info and education. The wonders of creation never cease to amaze me.
They are very cool little deer. One of the more "primitive" deer out there too
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah I understand your search now, guess I missed the fiber optic part.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I have added saddle rings to a Rossi, a BLR and an ‘86 and use a single point sling.

Do an image Google search for:

Junior Doughty sling
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Tycer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:41 am I have added saddle rings to a Rossi, a BLR and an ‘86 and use a single point sling.

Junior Doughty sling
CHecked that and apparently you can't fit a saddle ring to the Alaskan. Nice to know I'm not alone in that thought process though!
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:03 am Ah I understand your search now, guess I missed the fiber optic part.
No worries buddy!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Scrumbag wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:18 pm
Tycer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:41 am I have added saddle rings to a Rossi, a BLR and an ‘86 and use a single point sling.

Junior Doughty sling
CHecked that and apparently you can't fit a saddle ring to the Alaskan. Nice to know I'm not alone in that thought process though!
Well as I don’t have an Alaskan in front of me I can’t refute that.
However, the hammer screw is a screw. A saddle ring can be attached with a screw. I threaded a saddle ring to replace that screw on my BLR. Works a treat.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Tycer wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:22 pm
Scrumbag wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:18 pm

Junior Doughty sling
Well as I don’t have an Alaskan in front of me I can’t refute that.
However, the hammer screw is a screw. A saddle ring can be attached with a screw. I threaded a saddle ring to replace that screw on my BLR. Works a treat.
Hi Tycer, you wouldn't happen to have a picture would you?

Scrummy
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I don’t. When I went down to take pictures I realized I’ve sold the Rossi, swapped out the hammer screw back to original on the 1886 so I could install a model 21 sight and remembered I had just simply drilled and tapped a new hole in the BLR aluminum receiver.

What I did on the 1886 was have a replacement screw drilled and tapped for a standard saddle ring. I think I might have used a takedown screw from a Winchester 9422 on that Rossi. I seem to remember buying one off eBay. Take a look at the Winchester saddle ring on eBay.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Tycer wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:29 pm I don’t. When I went down to take pictures I realized I’ve sold the Rossi, swapped out the hammer screw back to original on the 1886 so I could install a model 21 sight and remembered I had just simply drilled and tapped a new hole in the BLR aluminum receiver.

What I did on the 1886 was have a replacement screw drilled and tapped for a standard saddle ring. I think I might have used a takedown screw from a Winchester 9422 on that Rossi. I seem to remember buying one off eBay. Take a look at the Winchester saddle ring on eBay.
Thanks, will do!
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Well, as an update I ordered a 0.25" Williams Firesight this morning so hopefully that will help things on the aiming sighting front!

Scrummy
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Well folks, a bit of gun plumbing here this afto.

Found the front bead on my .44 mag lever action is too tall for a lot of my shooting so I ordered a shorter Williams firesight. Not here yet but hopefully next couple of days.

My brass punches arrived today so I drifted out the front sight.
As I took the 1.5-5x33 Leupold Scout Scope off it (Eye relief too short), I removed the Burris FastFire from my Supernova pump and put it on the 44's scout rail.

Whilst I had the Supernova out I noticed from the Speadbead manual (Mount for the Burris) that the Benelli was supposed to come with some standard spacers (Lettered) that you had to move around to fit the Speadbead. Me thinking to myself "I don't remember those spacers ever being on the gun" I thought I should try some (That Benelli has always shot a bit high for me). So I put on the "middle" amount of drop and cast spacers in and "Wow" now I'm looking straight down the iron sights of the slug barrel and it comes to my eye much easier.

I bought the gun as an ex demo so I reckon the shop had taken out the drop and cast spacers...

So, hopefully 2 successful bits of gun plumbing this evening! (And as I'm typing, just got an email saying my Firesight has been dispatched!)

Scrummy
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Well folks,

Firesight arrived this morning and installed on the gun whilst heating up lunch.

Now to get some range time booked!