Any love for the Browning BLR?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Any love for the Browning BLR?

Post by EG73 »

Anyone have any comments about them? I didn’t end up getting a Winchester 88. I’m on the wall about BLR’s as to whether they’re alright looking or just ugly..

Seeking a general hunting rifle, thinking a BLR in .30-06 may be the go. But as said, unsure if I like how they look still..
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Any love for the Browning BLR?

Post by Old Savage »

Very accurate, the 30-06 I handled was inordinately heavy. Might go with the .308 as it would be in the 88.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

They do not please my eye and they feel “funny” when I lever them. OTOH I have buddy who is head over heels in love with them. So pretty much up to you.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Not a fan of the long action ones. 308 is the cat’s meow. The bolt cams into the barrel lugs so no worries about the aluminium’s strength.
I’m a 35 cal fan so mine is a 358 Win. It wears a scope.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Henry Long Ranger?
Just 7 pounds.
https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

My buddy had a .243 that seemed to shoot well enough when it worked. But it went back to get the gears retimed at least twice that I know of. Seemed a bit heavy but nothing that seemed to terrible. I wouldn't mind having one but there are a lot of other guns I want to pick up first.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I know a guy that works for a bear guide, he has a BLR in 325 mag and wont leave home without it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Very popular for lever action competition shooting here in Australia.
I had one in 222 and was silly enough to let it go, wish I hadn't.
All the ones I've seen here are in short action, mostly 222, 223, and some 308.
I've never heard anyone say they had a problem with accuracy. Mine would shoot sub - moa groups consistently with hand made ammo and a scope.
Once you get one running smoothly they are reliable, but if you Bubba with them you will have problems. If the guts needs cleaning take it to a gunsmith who understands the BLR.
If you think they are ugly, I'm guessing you have looked at the ones with pistol grip stocks, I find them ugly too.
A straight grip stock looks a heck of a lot better.
The preference over here is for the older Browning, and Miroku models with the steel receivers.
Triggers are a big complaining point on the BLR, and from the factory they are really bad, but a competent gunsmith who knows his way around a BLR can make them as smooth as glass, and very light.
They may lose some appeal as a hunting rifle because they are a bit fussy, drop one in the dirt and it may not come up smelling like roses, and you can't strip it down in the field to clean out the action.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

They're beautiful guns, but I think they're a bit too complex on the insides. I've seen more than one that wouldn't function correctly after the owners stripped them down then had troubles getting everything back together correctly.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:59 pm I know a guy that works for a bear guide, he has a BLR in 325 mag and wont leave home without it.
I was enamored with them for awhile and thought one in 270 WSM and a second in 325 WSM would cover all my earthly needs . Well I was enamored with them until I held one in my hands and that killed it for me . I didn’t care for the feel .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The BLR in 308 with straight stock is closest thing to carrying a Win 94 or Marlin 336 in 30-30. The weight and balance is excellent. I have had many BLRs in magnum calibers and other long action claibers. The long actions feels like a full size rifle. But the short actions with 20 inch barrels feel like a 30-30. Mine all shot excellent and piled up plenty of deer. My BLR in 308 will be one of the last guns to go. It is an excellent tool for hunting whitetails.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have never owned one but have refinished the stock on one. I like the design and feel of them. Early steel frame guns would be what I would want.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Mine has had a trigger job.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

I was considering one in .30-06 as a reliable go to gun for pig and deer - something I currently don’t have.. plenty of guns but none I’m confident with to do the deed. Going to have a sell off and maybe convert to mostly lever actions. Trying to revamp an interest in firearms they nearly died after close to 10 years being interested.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

The early BLR magazines , pre 81 models , are hard to come by (hence expensive if you do ). I don't think that is a problem with later ones.IMO the long actions one are bulky defeating the purpose. Love mine in .308 but it does kind of puts a crimp in needs department for another rifle.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

ugly! :shock:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

From what I've seen the Henry LONG RANGER seem to look like one on the outside, not sure about the insides. I'd sure look at the Henry first. IMHO
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have bought 15 or 16 of them so far as gifts for my Grandchildren. Only 1 boy wanted a 30-06 which, of course, takes the long action. I didn't care much for the feel of it but he has killed several whitetail with it. I really like the straight stocked short action guns but must admit they have not all been trouble free. A couple had rough chambers and would stick the action for a minute or so. Polishing the chambers fixed them.

Whatever you do, DO NOT remove the gears as they are a booger to re-time. I can do it but believe me, you don't want to. Hobie's web site has the procedure or a link to it if someone else has taken it apart and you must fix it.

Mostly 308 but middle son likes 243 and one of his sons has 243 also. Same mag for 243, 308, and 358 but the older shad belly ones are EXPENSIVE! I think the 358 kicks but my 3rd ex-wife likes hers.

To me they handle like a 94 SRC but are truly good to 350 yards with a low, fixed power scope. I think the BLR in 308 could make you a one rifle man especially if you top it with a 2 1/2 X Redfield or Leupold.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Always thought a 358W or a 338 Federal BLR would be great for driven boar / pigs in the thick stuff

Scrummy
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Do they do a BLR with an aluminum receiver version these days like the lightweight BAR? I've only handled the regular straight grip short action version but they do seem nice. Are these Miroku guns?

Edit: I guess I should have gone over to the Browning site first. They ALL seem to be the lightweight version today. Yum, still available in 358 Win.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Current offering is Miroku made and has aluminum receiver but the bolt locks into a barrel extension so the light metal takes none of the pressure. Newer ones have a flat bottom magazine that improves handling a little though I still really like my old Belgian made rifle. No blue left on barrel and the bore is worn but still shoots little bitty groups.

I recently bought one with a long magazine that holds 7 or 8 rounds. It's not marked with the maker's name though. I wish Magpul would make some just standard replacements at a decent price. I've seen the old shad belly ones bring over $300 at auction and that's just ridiculous!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
EG73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by EG73 »

Thanks for the responses. I’ve had a look at those Henry Long Rangers. Look to be a nice rifle!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

M. M. Wright wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:27 pm Current offering is Miroku made and has aluminum receiver but the bolt locks into a barrel extension so the light metal takes none of the pressure.
Yup, just like my Lightweight BAR ... except with a lever instead of a gas port, etc. I was always curious as to how many parts the BAR and BLR had in common due to the similarity of the bolt mechanism.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.