ballistic`s of shooting a rifle when on the moon.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

ballistic`s of shooting a rifle when on the moon.

Post by Booger Bill »

Inquiring minds want to know. Will the bullet keep going forever? Will it ever slow up? Will it have any impact at all if it hits something? Will the object it hit`s just go like a cue ball? Will the bullet orbit or go in a straight line forever? Will the spaceman and rifle go backwards? Have fun!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ballistic`s of shooting a rifle when on the moon.

Post by vancelw »

It won't go forever because there is gravity on the moon. The bullet will eventually hit the ground. (I don't know what will happen if you shoot straight up. Might break exit velocity? ) There's very little atmosphere, so almost no friction. Wouldn't try it with a super sniper 6.5 Creedmoor. Might hit yourself in the back of the head. :lol:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Booger Bill wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:10 pm Inquiring minds want to know. Will the bullet keep going forever? Will it ever slow up? Will it have any impact at all if it hits something? Will the object it hit`s just go like a cue ball? Will the bullet orbit or go in a straight line forever? Will the spaceman and rifle go backwards? Have fun!

The ballistics are the same on the moon as on the earth except for 1, virtually no wind resistance on the moon to slow the bullet down. This actually makes the physics easier and the bullet will have a more perfect ballistic (parabolic) trajectory. 2, gravity is still present on the moon but will only have 1/6th the effect as gravity on earth.

To answer the questions: No the bullet will not go on forever. Even if shot straight up and exceeding escape velocity of the moon, the earth's gravity will capture it and it will fall towards the earth and impact the earth. The bullet will slow up due to the force of gravity acting on it. Simplest case again shooting it straight up gravity will be trying to pull it (slow it) back down. Since the bullet still has mass, it will transfer its kinetic energy and momentum to whatever it hits just like on earth. If the object it hits is not a solidly planted object it may cause a small rock to move, or throw up some dust when it impacts the lunar soil. It will not likely act just like a cue ball as the collision will not likely be close to being perfectly elastic, not will the object hit be perfectly round and not resting on a hard low coefficient of friction surface. Since the bullet from instant it is shot it behave as a purely ballistic object and trajectory, it will not go on forever but will either impact the moon or impact the earth as stated above. Also, since gravity is acting on it it will not go in a straight line but will follow a curved parabolic path. If the spaceman is holding the rifle and is standing on the lunar surface the spaceman will feel the recoil just as it is felt on earth. If the gun and recoil is powerful enough, it may set the spaceman back down on his behind just as on earth as Newton's second law of motion will still be (and always is) in effect.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

"it will fall towards the earth and impact the earth" Did you mean earth or moon?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You mean when the shooter is female, and on her menses...? I'm that case, everyone had better get behind cover right NOW....!!! :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I wonder what the necessary velocity and trajectory would be for it to escape the Moon, miss the Earth, and ultimately wind up hitting the Sun....?

Or for that matter if it would be possible to hit one of the other planets, or even escape the solar system altogether...?

I would assume any of those things are possible with enough velocity in the right angle of departure.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I was wondering if a fanny burp has the same smell on the moon as it does here....or...let's say you has a mega fanny burp on the moon....ya think, because of gravity being 1/6 as opposed to earth that if the blast was so severe, would it lurch you forward, and possibly "shoot" you back to earth? -----6
Model A Uzi’s
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

If you fanny burp in that space suit yer a goner. Faster after picked eggs

Why would you assume a bullet would fall to earth? If fired away from the earth it would go a long way, assuming it could escape the moons pull to start with.
I may have to dig up some calculations. The earth's pull is less than the moon's at 254000 miles or Earth's gravity would suck you and your fanny burp right back home
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

One point. Regardless of direction or velocity it will never reach the earth or sun. It will vaporize before it impacts either.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

According to Google

On the moon, the acceleration due to gravity is about a = 1.622 m/s2. So we can use that fact and find the velocity necessary for a bullet to be in orbit just above the moon's surface: That's about 5,500 feet per second. A standard 9mm bullet travels at about 1000 feet per second.

Cannot find any moon fanny burp information :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Why would anyone take a rifle to the moon, there are no Squirrels up there ????
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I was thinking the same except trade squirrels for elk... though I suppose it would be hard to get a helmet around a 400" 6 point rack!

With virtually no atmo to speak of bullet velocities should be higher and allow easier escape velocity .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:13 am
With virtually no atmo to speak of bullet velocities should be higher and allow easier escape velocity .
I guess your gun might need an oxygen tank to achieve optimum ignition.
With a perfect burn, you might melt your barrel. Ought to get a bazillion parsecs per eon.

Don't talk about squirrel hunting in a public forum...the Secret Service might accuse you of threatening politicians.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:04 am One point. Regardless of direction or velocity it will never reach the earth or sun. It will vaporize before it impacts either.

You are correct, it will burn up in the atmosphere.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Booger Bill wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:05 pm "it will fall towards the earth and impact the earth" Did you mean earth or moon?

I mean the earth.

When the bullet leaves the volume of space that is dominated by the moon's gravity it returns to the volume of space that is dominated by the earth's gravity i.e the earth's gravity is again the dominant force. If the bullet is shot straight up from the moon's surface and directly towards the earth with enough velocity to escape the moon's gravity, the moon's gravity will act to slow down the bullet while until the earth's gravity becomes dominant, then the earth's gravity will pull on the bullet and accelerate the bullet towards the earth.

If the bullet is shot straight up from the moon and directly away from the earth, both the moon's and earth's gravity fields will both together pull on the bullet to slow it down. Again even if the bullet escapes the moon's sphere of dominate gravity, the earth's sphere of gravity is much larger and will continue pull the bullet back towards the earth and moon. If we simplify the situation and say the moon is stationary, then the bullet will hit the moon. If we allow for the movement of the moon, and the bullet falls back and misses the moon due to the moon's movement around the earth, the bullet will continue to fall back to earth and Hit the earth. Actually it will vaporize in the atmosphere due to the high velocity it gains by the time it reaches earth.

To completely escape the earth the bullet would have to shot with a velocity meeting or exceeding the escape velocity of the earth. The theoretical escape velocity at the surface of the earth as about 25,000 mph or over 35,000 feet per second, or over 7 miles per second. At the altitude of the moon relative to the earth, the earth escape velocity would be somewhat less. Compare that to a high velocity or hi powered rifle bullet is about only 3 to 4,000 feet per second. Thus it would be a truly impressive gun to shoot a bullet at the required velocity to reach the earth's escape velocity.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

vancelw wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:20 pm If you fanny burp in that space suit yer a goner. Faster after picked eggs

Why would you assume a bullet would fall to earth? If fired away from the earth it would go a long way, assuming it could escape the moons pull to start with.
I may have to dig up some calculations. The earth's pull is less than the moon's at 254000 miles or Earth's gravity would suck you and your fanny burp right back home

:lol: :lol: :lol: Don't let Blaine egg you on!
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

vancelw wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:42 am
GunnyMack wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:13 am
I guess your gun might need an oxygen tank to achieve optimum ignition.
Nope, and nope. Acceleration ceases the instant the bullet leaves the barrel. The lack of atmosphere ahead of the bullet in the barrel won't amount to much, if any, greater acceleration within the barrel. It will maintain its attained velocity, but won't go any faster.

And a cartridge carries it's own oxygen, so to speak, as part of the makeup of the powder is an oxidizer; otherwise, it wouldn't fire even in earth atmosphere as the cartridge is pretty well airtight. Think about it -- a gun will fire underwater for the same reason.

Escape velocity from the moon is 2.38 kilometers per sec, which roughly translates to 7800 fps, meaning the bullet ain't heading to earth or anywhere else unless it's a heckuva rifle. Now, lunar orbit -- maybe. Lunar orbital velocity is approximately 3280 fps, so with a really fast cartridge and the correct launch angle...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Here's the answer to the general question:

https://scienceblogs.com/builtonfacts/2 ... t-the-moon
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Are you a smart feller or a fanny burp smeller?
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Bet Alexandria ocasio cortez has the answer
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

4t5 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:50 pm Bet Alexandria ocasio cortez has the answer

Her answer is to ban guns from the moon,.... and from the earth for that matter.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

My hat is off to the smart guys......in laymans terms, if all this stuff about earths gravity being greater than the moons, than how come the earth does not pull the moon in?
Model A Uzi’s
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:28 pm My hat is off to the smart guys......in laymans terms, if all this stuff about earths gravity being greater than the moons, than how come the earth does not pull the moon in?
Duh....great wall!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Actually Six the moon is slowly getting farther away over time. Someday it will stop having any effect on the earth- no more tidal flow and the oceans will stop .

While we are at it, the cold of space could just possibly cause said rifle to splode upon firing...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You'd have to have a really good crimp to not have the cartridge pop apart in a vacuum....

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Yer making my blood boil. ..
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ah Doc....that ain't nuttin.....before heading off to the moon, just use a Lee Factory Crimp die on the jacketed rounds, a hard roll crimp on cast bullets along with the use of slow burning powders to take up space. I also would not use any kind of a primer sealant......in fact thinking further, no crimp would be the best way to go....it'll allow air pressures to even out. On my last moon trip I drilled .0000001 holes through the side of the case. It worked, no issues. ---6
Model A Uzi’s
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:20 pm . On my last moon trip I drilled .0000001 holes through the side of the case. It worked, no issues. ---6
If you had taken a 6.5 Creedmoor you coulda shot a Martian from there...
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Model A Uzi’s
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

vancelw wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:45 pm
Sixgun wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:28 pm My hat is off to the smart guys......in laymans terms, if all this stuff about earths gravity being greater than the moons, than how come the earth does not pull the moon in?
Duh....great wall!
The moons gravity is strong enough to cause tide changes on earth.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

The earth is trying to do exactly that. For the same reason a spaceship or the space station stays in orbit: The earth's gravitational pull is balanced by the tangential linear velocity of the moon or any other object that is in orbit. In other words, the gravitational force of the earth pulling on an object is in balance (equilibrium) with the centrifugal force of the object wanting to fling the object off into intersolar space. Remember as a kid when you held on to the edge of a merry-go-round and the centrifugal force you felt trying to make you fly off away from the merry-go-round? The same thing happens to an object in orbit. SInce the centrifugal force is in balance with the force of gravity there is zero net force on the object and therefore the object and a human in that object, as in the case of the spaceship or space station, experiences weightlessness. Not because there is no gravity acting, but because gravity is being cancelled out by the centrifugal force. This is also why a spaceship has to achieve such a high velocity (of approximately 17500 miles per hour) to achieve lower earth orbit.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:56 am Actually Six the moon is slowly getting farther away over time. Someday it will stop having any effect on the earth- no more tidal flow and the oceans will stop .

While we are at it, the cold of space could just possibly cause said rifle to splode upon firing...

On the other hand if on the moon or earth orbit in the sunlight, the heat from the sun may actually cause the gunpowder (propellant) to cook off and ignite prematurely.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks beaker for explaining in a way I could understand. It really is amazing with all of these forces around us, we just go about our lives and shoot old Winchesters.

So there's like a perfect balance between the earths gravity and the speed of the moon....that's about all I can get....I'll let you figure out the smart stuff...I'll shoot!--6
Model A Uzi’s
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Actually farting in the spacesuits WAS A PROBLEM at one point. I listen to podcasts while I drive using the Stitcher podcast ap. There is a podcast there called HOUSEHOLD NAMES. They did a story some time back called NASA UNCUT where they talked about some little known facts about NASA. One of the things they talked about was when the astronauts were drinking TANG on the flights. It seems that at one point of the problems the astronauts were having in space was muscle cramps. The flight doctors tried to solve the problem by adding more potassium to the TANG they were drinking during the flights. It seems that for some reason the added potassium also caused a great deal of gas. On the podcast they have a recording of two of the astronauts complaining about it during a moonwalk when they thought they were on intercom mode. It turns out they had an open mike and were transmuting right back to mission control. It was a hoot to hear!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

That's funny Rusty....
I'd rather be known as the first man to fanny burp on the moon rather than walk on it.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Somewhere I seen a cartoon of a couple astronauts on the moon and a Giant golf club is swinging in on them.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:11 am Thanks beaker for explaining in a way I could understand. It really is amazing with all of these forces around us, we just go about our lives and shoot old Winchesters.

So there's like a perfect balance between the earths gravity and the speed of the moon....that's about all I can get....I'll let you figure out the smart stuff...I'll shoot!--6
That's actually not true the moon is slowing moving away from the earth.

Escaping the gravity of moon/earth should be possible aimed away from earth however escaping Jupiter I would not bet on.

Catch a (gravity) wave and your sitting on top of Jupiter, who knew the beach boys believed in gravitational wave theory.
Now if we could just slap two black holes together we could, never mind.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

About the only thing I could tell you about anything past our atmosphere is what I learned in high school. I figured there is no reason to learn anything more as I'd never have use for it...it was like algebra class...I aced algebra 1 and barely passed 2...I figured, "what in the hell am I going to need this pelosi for?" Two years of German and the only thing I remember is 1-10.

Who gives a rats azz about the moon...I ain't going there....but....What do you want to know about early Winchesters and Colts? Now, THOSE I have a use for. :D And yes, farting is important...ya never know when you'll need to start a fire or chase away some ugly girl.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

David wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:22 pm
Sixgun wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:11 am Thanks beaker for explaining in a way I could understand. It really is amazing with all of these forces around us, we just go about our lives and shoot old Winchesters.

That's actually not true the moon is slowing moving away from the earth.

Escaping the gravity of moon/earth should be possible aimed away from earth however escaping Jupiter I would not bet on.

Catch a (gravity) wave and your sitting on top of Jupiter, who knew the beach boys believed in gravitational wave theory.
Now if we could just slap two black holes together we could, never mind.

The moon is moving away from the earth for other reasons, not due to gravitational forces. The moon's average distance is increasing approximately 1.5 inches per year. This is due to the action of the moon on the tides on the earth's oceans. The moon's pull on the oceans (tides) also contributes to the slowing down the earth's rotation on its axis. This means that our "day" as defined as one one complete rotation on the earth about its axis, is slowly getting longer. This phenomena, however is not relevant to the discussion above and the effect is so slight it can be ignored for all practical purposes. A more relevant issue, and which we have not discussed, is to keep in mind the moon's orbit is not perfectly circular about the earth but is actually elliptical or that of an ellipse. This is true for virtually all heavenly bodies in their orbits. This is why the moon is closer to earth at times and further away at other times or at perigee and apogee.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Inch and a half a year? That sounds about as easy to prove as when my mother told me there is no two snow flakes exactly alike.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Booger Bill wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:17 am Inch and a half a year? That sounds about as easy to prove as when my mother told me there is no two snow flakes exactly alike.
Exactly! I is such an infinitesimal amount compared to the distance between the earth and the moon that it can be completely ignored and is not relevant to the original conversation. It is like worrying today that our sun in another 3-5 billion years will expand into a red giant and burn up the earth.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

The was two statements,
It's true ok not gravity then but Jupiter will get it.
Most everyone I talk to is a physicist here however most are very liberal, I'll ask the "Hallo" guy, he's cool.