4 frame arrived

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

4 frame arrived

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bought a Parker 0 Grade top lever hammer gun at the Rock Island auction a couple weeks ago and received it Monday . Bought it because it’s a 4 frame and has 34” factory original barrels gun was made 1887 . It’s functional but needs work . Oh yeah unstruck weight for just the barrels is 6 pounds 15 ounces :shock:
1E8777A2-F4C3-40F1-A555-241C014B2CA0.jpeg
D093F45B-DFB8-4D88-950F-387EBD39BA19.jpeg
793ACDAE-7091-4138-9AF0-62B20D1434AB.jpeg
B772DED8-3CEF-48B1-A6B5-A1DBEAE2B655.jpeg
CA34AAA5-1040-4045-B103-DEA99157C5FE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 4 frame arrived

Post by 6pt-sika »

After I get done running a chain saw today I just might try a couple buckshot loads in the old brute .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Shot it a few times with 000 buck at 25 yards .
0A740E21-84B5-40D3-8876-A1A296FD5900.jpeg
FF95FFF6-B04E-4D0E-89EA-D4298064600E.jpeg
C4A08CEB-EF72-45B6-9426-9798D2F23FBC.jpeg
CAC479EE-5989-474F-8229-348E96D13511.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Looks like a keeper! Throws decent patterns too.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

They sure knew what they were doing when they made those Parkers......... 8) ............. :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

That’s awesome. Thanks
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well thanks for the compliments but this one has some slightly major issues .Firstly the first two to three inches of top rib at the muzzle end have started coming loose ,so the entire top rib needs to be relaid . Secondly the guns a bit loose and needs to be tightened a bit . Thirdly someone put a set of Remington hammers on . Fourth the stock is not the factory original . And lastly the fifth thing someone in their infinite wisdom added metal to the upper pistol grip tang . No ones fault but mine I didn’t ask enough questions . Ifb theirs a next time more will be asked .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:26 pm They sure knew what they were doing when they made those Parkers......... 8) ............. :mrgreen:
I have a trio of W&C Scott guns 10 , 12 and 20 that are pretty nice also . All hammerless with little glass windows in the sides of the locks so you can tell if the hammers are cocked .
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: 4 frame arrivedd

Post by gamekeeper »

Regarding the rib, I can honestly say the ribs on a Parker are without doubt the easiest ribs to lay.
I resleeved a few Parkers and always found the ribs much more substantial than those on English or European shotguns.
All done with wired down floorboard nails and solder, very little if any striking off required.
Churchill ribs were without doubt the worst.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 4 frame arrivedd

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:14 am Regarding the rib, I can honestly say the ribs on a Parker are without doubt the easiest ribs to lay.
I resleeved a few Parkers and always found the ribs much more substantial than those on English or European shotguns.
All done with wired down floorboard nails and solder, very little if any striking off required.
Churchill ribs were without doubt the worst.
To do it “properly” do they need to remove the entire rib and relay the whole thing or can they possibly do it without total removal ?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My screwed up rib . I will say if I’d known this before I bid I wouldn’t have .
B4734B1E-3DFD-435B-9C73-02341B718166.jpeg
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If the rib is OK it may be possible to re solder the lifted part, I had to remove the ribs to fit the new sleeved barrels so I only ever refitted them complete but Parker ribs were pretty tough compared to English ribs so I would assume it's possible as long as too much heat doesn't warp the rib. Try wiring the rib in place and gently push a floor board nail under the wire but on top of the rib, if it looks good then it should be easy to solder. When it's cold you can remove the wire and nail, I had special strikers that sat on the barrel and against the rib, that would take off surplus solder and if necessary trim the rib if it looked a bit lopsided when looking down the barrels.
After fitting ribs the barrels were put in boiling water to make sure no holes were in the solder, occasionally we would get what we called a mouse in side the ribs, just a tiny ball of solder that made a noise as you moved the gun. If that happened we just open up the solder at the muzzle and let it out.
Don't put too much pressure on the rib with the nail or you will see a dip in the rib when finished.
I guess if the lifted part of the rib is too springy then the whole rib may need to come off so it can be straightened. At least then you can check the hidden part of the barrels and check for rust etc.
From your photograph it looks like an easy fix but photographs can lie.
One other thing, if the top rib is plain you can strike out any bumps but if file cut or engine turned like most Parker's I've seen you can only strike out bumps on the sides of the rib. This is why only enough pressure on the rib with the nails is so crucial.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:52 pm If the rib is OK it may be possible to re solder the lifted part, I had to remove the ribs to fit the new sleeved barrels so I only ever refitted them complete but Parker ribs were pretty tough compared to English ribs so I would assume it's possible as long as too much heat doesn't warp the rib. Try wiring the rib in place and gently push a floor board nail under the wire but on top of the rib, if it looks good then it should be easy to solder. When it's cold you can remove the wire and nail, I had special strikers that sat on the barrel and against the rib, that would take off surplus solder and if necessary trim the rib if it looked a bit lopsided when looking down the barrels.
After fitting ribs the barrels were put in boiling water to make sure no holes were in the solder, occasionally we would get what we called a mouse in side the ribs, just a tiny ball of solder that made a noise as you moved the gun. If that happened we just open up the solder at the muzzle and let it out.
Don't put too much pressure on the rib with the nail or you will see a dip in the rib when finished.
I guess if the lifted part of the rib is too springy then the whole rib may need to come off so it can be straightened. At least then you can check the hidden part of the barrels and check for rust etc.
From your photograph it looks like an easy fix but photographs can lie.
One other thing, if the top rib is plain you can strike out any bumps but if file cut or engine turned like most Parker's I've seen you can only strike out bumps on the sides of the rib. This is why only enough pressure on the rib with the nails is so crucial.
Thanks , very informative explanation :!:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

GK did you use straight TIN solder for rib work or a different formula? What flux- violin bow rosin?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:14 am GK did you use straight TIN solder for rib work or a different formula? What flux- violin bow rosin?
Westley Richards did everything the old fashioned way when I worked there. When I first saw the gunroom I thought it was some sort of museum. So yes tin solder and violin bow rosin. Mind it was about 50 years ago when I worked there. Great memories.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Did you know a Leonard Bull ? He was an instructor of mine, got his start at Westley.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:05 pm Did you know a Leonard Bull ? He was an instructor of mine, got his start at Westley.
No, the name does not ring a bell. What was his job there?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I think I might get the gun tightened in the next two weeks then ship the guns off to Kirk Merrington and see what he says .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I made a deal for another 34” Parker 10 gauge . Gun is in Canada so this is gonna be a new experience although the guy I’m getting it from sells a bunch of nice old doubles that come to the US .
CFF13DD3-FE66-48E0-BFCF-7A28A68BDEB3.jpeg
A03AC390-7B07-4FD0-9B0D-005BCB57898E.jpeg
93884E82-2796-496E-93A2-B84BA67D4B56.jpeg
6253F7EA-0C9C-438F-B519-79D121EC7A59.jpeg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

B833BEB9-2E1B-44D0-AF64-64B7B4FB3CC2.jpeg
EF075DF6-5C81-4BF6-9704-493BE28F0F6E.jpeg
C121517B-19B1-4167-9EE0-94B59D2F2756.jpeg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

This ones actually marked GH and not EH made 1904 . So provided this thing gets to me in decent order I’ll have Parker EH/GH 10 gauge guns with factory original 28” , 30” , 32” and 34” barrels . Now to find a 24” a 26” and a 36” :wink:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

It should come back fine, please post a picture showing the rib.... :)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

As far as I remember GK he apprenticed at 14, learned the trade and was then sent to South Africa to run a shop for W.R. , left that and became a game ranger then came to the US. I learned a lot from him, wish I learned more!

6pt- that's quite the collection you have! I'd really love to see them all in person! I am very happy you are giving those American icons a great home!! Jealous- YOU BET!!!!! :mrgreen:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:25 pm As far as I remember GK he apprenticed at 14, learned the trade and was then sent to South Africa to run a shop for W.R. , left that and became a game ranger then came to the US. I learned a lot from him, wish I learned more!

6pt- that's quite the collection you have! I'd really love to see them all in person! I am very happy you are giving those American icons a great home!! Jealous- YOU BET!!!!! :mrgreen:
Gunny, I guess most of the guys I worked with are sadly long gone, those that are left were youngsters like me back then, Charlie Eaves was the master gunsmith and about sixty at the time when I worked there, perhaps your friend mentioned him.

6pt I too am pleased to know that those old Parkers have found a good home and yes I'm jealouse too.... :mrgreen:
I loved working on Parkers but I hated cutting down those beautiful Damascus barrels and replacing them with steel tubes.
I remember resleeving one for a guy in Texas, he wanted it with 20" barrels, I enjoyed taking it down the range to test it... 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I gotta lay off buying for awhile , hopefully I’m headed to Sanford NC in late April for the Southern Side by Side and this time I wanna carry some cash with me , not that I’ll be able to afford much that I like . But still one never knows :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Might carry my W&C Scott 12 and 20 hammerless as trading material towards a Parker 28 gauge .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:06 pm

6pt I too am pleased to know that those old Parkers have found a good home and yes I'm jealouse too.... :mrgreen:
I loved working on Parkers but I hated cutting down those beautiful Damascus barrels and replacing them with steel tubes.
I remember resleeving one for a guy in Texas, he wanted it with 20" barrels, I enjoyed taking it down the range to test it... 8)
I’ve got one LC Smith Field Grade that was sleeved by Westley Richards but I didn’t have it done we bought it that way . I can remember as a kid everyone saying oh oh don’t shoot Damascus or steel twist they’ll ignite almost in your hands ! Now I’d just as soon shoot solid Damascus guns as anything . Heck at the moment my favorite “skeet gun” is a little circa 1911 Parker GH 16 that now has 27” Damascus barrels (it had an inch removed before we bought it 20 years ago) , think we got it for $100-125 . Several times I’ve shot 4 rounds of skeet and broke 94 or better out of 100 . Nothing great for a guy on the competitive trail but not bad either .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The Parker GH I have coming from Canada has 40 and 42 points of constriction so in essence xtra full and extra fuller ! It’s going to be intresting to see how that one patterns #1 and #2 Bismuth at 40 yards before the early goose season gets here !!!!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I reckon there's going to be some unlucky geese next season. Especially if they have you down as a " modified 12 gauge guy...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

40 & 42 !! Yeah that's tight! My Perazzi bunker gun has 42 in the top barrel , just crushes targets into a black cloud!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:03 pm I reckon there's going to be some unlucky geese next season. Especially if they have you down as a " modified 12 gauge guy...
First goose I ever shot at I plunked with my grandfathers old W&C Scott 10 gauge back action . I’m not sure how tight that one is to be honest but I’m sure nominal bore diameter is less on the Scott than any of the Parker’s I have .
6AA83450-3BB3-4FD5-9976-1628A99C5F43.jpeg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My super tight Parker GH 10 has not arrived from Canada yet . But negotiations started today with another fellow on a DHE 16 gauge 28” barrels . Dunno yet if it’s an 0 or 1 frame , but if the price is right I’ll not turn my nose up at either . Guns circa 1919 by the way 8) “If” I acquire this DHE and if I go to Sanford NC for the Southern it’ll just be to see and visit . As Mr Piggybank will be hungry dead and buried :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Any word on our Canadian 10ga? How's our DHE 16 coming along?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:16 am Any word on our Canadian 10ga? How's our DHE 16 coming along?
The guy in Canada (and I don’t blame him) has the check and told me he’s waiting it to clear . So “hopefully” he’ll ship late next week or the following week . As to the DHE a friend is the go between and he’s going to get me a price and some pics next Friday . The big “if” is gonna be whether I can afford it or not :roll: Last night I “thought” I had a circa 1970 Browning A-5 20 Mag coming but I lost out in the end , it was at a local auction sale . Last year or so Remington made a run of some 260 REM’s on the 700 action with 24” heavy fluted barrels with the 5R rifling and stocked in I believe HS Precision stocks if not HS perhaps they’re B&C with aluminum bedding blocks . Anyway I’ve been wanting a HB 260 for a number of years and I happen to know where a couple of these are still NIB .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Incidentally there’s a guy about forty miles from me that does rib work . I sort of met him thru a friend and we talked about my 4 frame barrels , he seems to think he can do it without relaying the entire rib and at a more reasonable cost then Kirk Merrington . Nothing against Kirk , but if a local guy can help me out I’d just as soon give him the buisness . I’ve also since talking with this fellow got great feedback from two friends that have had him do work for them .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Local guy that can do the rib work is a great guy to know! Not to mention ya don't have to ship the barrels... Less chance of them getting bent on a 45!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:19 pm Local guy that can do the rib work is a great guy to know! Not to mention ya don't have to ship the barrels... Less chance of them getting bent on a 45!
Merrington gets $500 to relay a rib flat rate whether 2” or the entire rib . This guy I talked with was sounding like $200ish . I’m not Exactly cheap but a dollar saved :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:16 am Any word on our Canadian 10ga? How's our DHE 16 coming along?
The DHE 16 is at a standstill the owners under the weather and the go between rightly so doesn’t want to push the issue ! The 34” 10 gauge however arrived today . And it was slightly better than I anticipated .
89FF9947-59B5-4DEB-88EB-B65D62D7B436.jpeg
FE08066C-2CF4-4405-9D27-43E7E4A7EF91.jpeg
2DEADE8E-C95D-4AE8-94C1-83DA381E5E6F.jpeg
2E234204-9658-40D7-997C-68BF95BA60EA.jpeg
3A1087A5-84D7-4C87-A194-41D9A12BE811.jpeg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

29E64714-3B53-4982-A4A3-0B90CC7637CD.jpeg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

003AF6A3-EA41-46D2-975B-851B32938E33.jpeg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sorry the pictures aren’t so great I’ll see Wednesday if I can’t do better and take a group pic of the four EH/GH 10’s 28” , 30” , 32” and 34” .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Brite metal, wood looks dark but in good shape- how do the bores look? I'm sure that ol 10 killed a bunch of waterfowl in Canada.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

This thing oughtta be intresting shooting trap from the 27 yard line :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 pm Brite metal, wood looks dark but in good shape- how do the bores look? I'm sure that ol 10 killed a bunch of waterfowl in Canada.
They don’t appear to be pitted , some shadowing but nothing major . The plan is to shoot Sporting Clays Thursday , can’t use a 10 there however . So I might ease over to the club Tuesday or Wednesday for some step and n the pickle shooting at Trap targets .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The Parker letter on this jewel says it weighed 9 pounds 13 ounces when it left the factory in 1904 . And it doesn’t feel like it went on a diet . Although it’s a heck of a lot more lively in my hands than the couple 8 gauge Parker’s I’ve fondled :wink:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

With 34" pipes it should swing very well!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:12 pm With 34" pipes it should swing very well!
I used to do very well with a K-32 shooting a 34” un-single barrel and not to shabby on doubles with a 32” O/U set of barrels . But this thing is a bit more metal . But on the other hand I shot a friends Kolar a couple years ago that was 32” but a touch on the heavy side and I shot it very well until I got tired from lifting it ( we were shooting wobble trap and the round was done in about 4 minutes only three on the squad).
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes those Kolars are heavy! My bunker gun is just at 8 lbs , about 2 lbs lighter than a friends Kolar. The Kolars are very nice guns, little pricey but well worth the money. However I'll stick to my Perazzi's!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:45 am Yes those Kolars are heavy! My bunker gun is just at 8 lbs , about 2 lbs lighter than a friends Kolar. The Kolars are very nice guns, little pricey but well worth the money. However I'll stick to my Perazzi's!!
Kolars and Perrazzis are nice guns but I’m more a R-32/K-32/K-80 kinda guy :wink:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Took some more pics of the Canadian gun at the shop today !
0AA297CB-AFA0-4AF6-BF89-E930C2E49A11.jpeg
6EC35C2E-B859-41FB-BA98-A06E6BF2F7C3.jpeg
30CA659D-2892-4A86-A584-F211CBC4CD27.jpeg
5DEDA1CD-48EC-4AB7-8377-DCC71AD7004C.jpeg
79A481D7-8231-48BC-97F4-B5BD34296095.jpeg
FD9D4FE4-7645-4809-ACC2-2B0A49D5CCA8.jpeg
555F0AFD-FD55-4659-871A-22E95FCC4F71.jpeg
0BB7957A-BF06-43CF-AC51-70FF1F9097FC.jpeg