Which Lever Gun to use?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Which Lever Gun to use?

Post by milton »

While considering hog hunting in some swampy rough areas which lever rifle would hold up best under sustained use , a Rossi '92 in .357 or a marlin 336 in .30-.30 ?
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Which Lever Gun to use?

Post by Pisgah »

Either one of them will hold up a whole lot longer than you (or me).
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Which one do you shoot better?
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Well,I shoot the Marlin better.In fact it is a natural fit for me but some kinfolk are wanting to know this and I am not sure what best fits them.
"Knowledge without understanding is a dangerous thing. For a little knowledge entices us to walk its path, a bit more provides the foundation on which we take our stand, and a sufficient amount can erect a wall of knowledge around us, trapping us in our own ignorance."
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

A heavy for caliber bullet, like a 180 grain in the 357 would work well and a 170 grain in the 30-30 would also work well. My opinion...you can’t loose as long as they can shoot whichever one they pick.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Marlin has fewer, larger, parts, but if you're in a swamp, any part that comes off you're out of luck... :D

Rossi maybe more 'open' and easier to flush out with creek-water if you fall in the mud, but the Marlin is pretty open as well, and one screw allows major cleaning with only one small leaf-spring (ejector) and the lever screw to lose.

Bottom line - pick whichever you shoot better with, or whichever one you don't mind mucking up and scratching a bit.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Depends on how far you want to drag the hog. I’ll take a true rifle round over a handgun round as it’s likely to anchor the critter quicker with equal shot placement.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:01 am Depends on how far you want to drag the hog. I’ll take a true rifle round over a handgun round as it’s likely to anchor the critter quicker with equal shot placement.
How big of a hog, my friend it TX said come shoot a pig, went it turned I expected a trunk.
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

Well actually I am planning on shooting some very large hogs but we plan on running the hogs until they are close to our vehicle and then shooting them !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

jeepnik wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:01 am Depends on how far you want to drag the hog. I’ll take a true rifle round over a handgun round as it’s likely to anchor the critter quicker with equal shot placement.
What he said!
The bigger the better, I haven't used anything smaller than a .33WCF on a boar and haven't had to chase any either. Favorite hog killer is my .450 Marlin. Boom, down, twitch, and done.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

2ndovc wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:51 am
What he said!
The bigger the better, I haven't used anything smaller than a .33WCF on a boar and haven't had to chase any either. Favorite hog killer is my .450 Marlin. Boom, down, twitch, and done.

jb 8)
This northerner doesn't know what a "twitch" is.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

David wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 am
2ndovc wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:51 am
What he said!

jb 8)
This northerner doesn't know what a "twitch" is.
That last little shudder before assuming room temp.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

TWITCH;

VERB

give or cause to give a short, sudden jerking or convulsive movement.

"the dog twitched his ears" ·
[more]

synonyms:

jerk · move spasmodically/convulsively · spasm · convulse · flutter ·
[more]

You want to explain to me what I got wrong?
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I thought it was something YOU did not the pig/hog/elewoatrunk
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

milton wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:44 am Well actually I am planning on shooting some very large hogs but we plan on running the hogs until they are close to our vehicle and then shooting them !! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Be sure you send the hogs a memo so they will know which way to run. They tend to be contrary critters.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
milton
Levergunner 2.0

Post by milton »

What you do is, you send out the memo telling them which way they need to run and then park just opposite that.That way,seeing that they are so stubborn and contrary they run right to you.Now if I can just figure out a way to send a memo they will read. :shock: :lol:
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Is there any Democrats available that could possibly used if I want to propose a solution?