One rifle, one pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Re: One rifle, one pistol

Post by David »

fordwannabe wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:12 pm Doc, in my Ruger MkII the Aquila Super Colibri will not cycle the slide suppressed. If I want it to go semi auto Inhave to use the Remington subsonic or equivalent. I also have a Fiala manually operated magazine fed 22 handgun that is..well manually operated.
Have you tried they make it (can't remember the name) the one with the long a... bullet in the short case? That might cycle it but isn't a standard long quiet enough?
I have a couple Fiala's actually thinking about tossing on gunbroker just recently.

The other thing with semi-auto 22's I didn't think of it at first (made a special safety that also had a position to shoot and lock the slide) you can just use your thumb there's not enough kick behind a 22lr to push hard enough to matter.

Also is that an add on suppressor or is it the actually suppressed MKII?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BigSky56 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:38 pm Jeepnik, the most reliable semi rifle will have a adjustable gas piston system not a DI gas tube that can get so plugged gas won't go down it. For ammo my pick is 62gr speer gold dots. danny
Danny, my PTI-91 is roller locked blow back. it uses gas to unseat the brass, but via a fluted chamber. very reliable. neither DI nor piston to reckon with.... quirky and torquey, but reliable.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I inherited from my dad a Remington 760 in 30-06. Has a peep sight. It sat in the closet for years and I finally took it to the range a couple years ago. I was pleasantly surprised. It`s accurate, light and fast handling. Dad shot his last buck with it at about 86 years old. I figure on carrying it as my UTV gun and bug out gun when we trail ride. Could do a lot worse and not much better. Could use extra magazines if "The day" ever comes. Like most of us on these gun sites we have many good guns that would do to choose from. I own many calibers but I think there is something to be said for taking a popular standard caliber. Another consideration might be in a "Red dawn senario" is the probable fact that we wouldn't look like guerrillas looking for trouble to enemy troops or just citizens too carrying a pump or lever rather than a AR 15 or such and you still are as effective. In other words we might be just dismissed as another citizen that had to run for his life and not a swat wannabe looking for trouble.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Booger Bill wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:58 pm I inherited from my dad a Remington 760 in 30-06. Has a peep sight. It sat in the closet for years and I finally took it to the range a couple years ago. I was pleasantly surprised. It`s accurate, light and fast handling. Dad shot his last buck with it at about 86 years old. I figure on carrying it as my UTV gun and bug out gun when we trail ride. Could do a lot worse and not much better. Could use extra magazines if "The day" ever comes. Like most of us on these gun sites we have many good guns that would do to choose from. I own many calibers but I think there is something to be said for taking a popular standard caliber. Another consideration might be in a "Red dawn senario" is the probable fact that we wouldn't look like guerrillas looking for trouble to enemy troops or just citizens too carrying a pump or lever rather than a AR 15 or such and you still are as effective. In other words we might be just dismissed as another citizen that had to run for his life and not a swat wannabe looking for trouble.
that rifle is pure Americana.......
m.A.g.a. !
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Grizz, my bad I forgot about h&k style actions as I was thinking about brass. With the right bullets the 223 is a proper big game round. danny
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My wife ask me the other night what I would use the 30wcf and the COLT SAA .45 that I bought in 1959. I thought about my 1917 92 32wcf and the old Ruger 6 inch with both cylinders. Or maybe the Rossi 92 carbine and the .22!!!!!! to many choices.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

I would pick the most general-purpose rifle and most general-purpose handgun I own, based on my location/situation.

What that means to me for a rifle is one that can be used for urban/suburban/exurban self-defense (0-150 yards) and heavy-woods southern deer hunting (0-150 yards), and which won’t attract negative attention but will still have the capacity needed for multi-opponent tactical scenarios and which can be rapidly operated.

Result: Marlin 1894c .357

What that means to me for a handgun is one that can be concealed for discrete carry when necessary but is powerful enough to harvest medium game at archery distances, is effective on feral dogs and startled black bear, and which is credible in a fight.

Result: S&W 686 4”

The fact that the two are capable of swapping ammo is incidental, but valuable.

mos
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BigSky56 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:16 pm Grizz, my bad I forgot about h&k style actions as I was thinking about brass. With the right bullets the 223 is a proper big game round. danny
that action is hard on the brass, but I put a dollop of shoe-goo snot at the rear if the ejection port, and the brass comes through fine. hard to find, but reloadable.

I am interested in the right bullets for 223, what's your recommendation for a round to disconnect the central nervous system of a steer, moose, grizz, or horse built creatures? I know a 22 can put them down, but what about when their blood is up? thanks, grizz
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I figure the 7.62 NATO is the minimum. I want something more than a varmit round.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

What do you think 6, here is one approach, .357 and .45.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Lots of ideas on here. I can't really argue with any of them due to individual taste and experience. I think I would be OK with most of the choices. I do happen to think that most of the guns chosen would likely last a long time with minimal maintenance.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I would pick the most general-purpose rifle and most general-purpose handgun I own, based on my location/situation.
This is what I was getting at with my choice. MOS said it better than I did. 8)

For my individual situation, a 357 rifle seems a touch light. ('Course, I don't have one, so I can't choose it, eh? :lol:
Might have to remedy that situation some time.......)

A 4" 357 is a terrific choice, IMHO. Very, very versatile handgun.

-Stretch
mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:22 pm I figure the 7.62 NATO is the minimum. I want something more than a varmit round.
This is an interesting perspective. Not sure why it would be true, and would like to hear if others agree or not. Also not sure that 180gr SJSP in a carbine qualifies as a varmint round. I tend to think not.

Assuming it is true, though, and that my prior rifle pick was deficient due to inadequate caliber, I will revise my selection accordingly.

Rifle: USGI M1 Garand .30-06 (satisfies my previous criteria almost as well as the carbine and adds range and the tactical advantage of turning “cover into concealment”)

Handgun: Same as before (or substitute a USGI Colt 1911 Govt. .45 ACP for thematic consistency)

mos
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:53 pm What do you think 6, here is one approach, .357 and .45.
I like this solution it's my I'm going into the woods solution but I wanted only one ammo (it's heavy) so I went with 45 Colt.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well David, you might think of it this way. If we both take 40 rds mine is lighter. I can get 1800 fps for the rifle for better trajectory, you can't get close without really pushing the rifle, Those rounds would likely blow Colt. Paco had that happen. The rifle could handle anything up close that the Colt would.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Of course I could solve the pressure issue with a Vaquero but I wouldn''t REALLY want to shoot them in a pistol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:28 pm Well David, you might think of it this way. If we both take 40 rds mine is lighter. I can get 1800 fps for the rifle for better trajectory, you can't get close without really pushing the rifle, Those rounds would likely blow Colt. Paco had that happen. The rifle could handle anything up close that the Colt would.
Your just a better shot and shoot farther.....

I use a Vaquero and a Winchester 94.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Too many needs to be handled by one rifle and one pistol.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Grizz, I run speer bullets a 62gr gold dot bonded now and before it the 70gr semi spitzer hot cor, after I saw my Dad dump elk with a savage 22 HP I loaded up the speer 70s it dumped deer and elk just fine. I have taken everything cept moose & grizz so far and in the past used fmc on predators, shot placement is the key to save fur. Speer makes gold dots in 55,62 &75, federal fusion makes a 62?, Norma makes a 55 bonded and nosler & swift both make a couple bonded but they have plastic tips which I don't care for.
It's the Indian not the arrow. danny
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

This is like asking a lady to pick one pair of shoes anda pair of boots! Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You are all spoiled. Griff, what if you ride off on your horse in the old west. How many of each would you have?

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks for the info Danny. got it in my notes now... agree about shot placement, we aim small..
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

David, that is a different discussion.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:53 pm What do you think 6, here is one approach, .357 and .45.
Sure......your original question was "one rifle...one pistol" . That leads me to think "the life we are currently living", not some survival, desperado thingy. I've been around enough guns for enough time to know semi automatics are problematic. They depend of near perfect ammo at a set pressure level. Failure to follow that will lead to other issues with parts breakage and other failure to fire/function. Picking a semi auto would be like picking a Ferrari as a "one car" gig.

While you may not be warding off thousands of bad guys you will, in a normal life, likely to be spending time in the woods for a week or more. You want the gun to be as simple, accurate, versatile and powerful enough for a variety of needs. A bolt action rifle, along with a single action handgun gets as simple and durable as you can get. Forget the single shot, there is a real need for multiple shots. You want both guns to be centerfire...if the big boy breaks or is lost in the Canadian wilderness....or your home hunting cabin, you don't want a .22 single Six to do your work for you.

Handloading allows you to make ammo for either gun powerful enough for deer or light enough for squirrels. One can easily back up the other if need be.

In 2003 I was in the Rockies for a week.....an original 1886 Winchester in .33 and a near new single action Colt in 38-40. The Colt may have had 2-300 rds out of it at the time. I killed an elk on the first morning so the rest of the week I just played, leaving the rifle back in camp, toting the Colt. A raven was flying slow about 20 yards so I pulled the Colt and let loose..got off one shot..missed..the next shot was "click". Inspection showed the pawl leaf spring broke. Yea, who carries an extra pawl spring with him? I still had a couple of days left to play but that did not bother me on the breakage of the spring. I just had to remember to either tilt the gun down when thumbing back the hammer or turn it by hand.

That's why I said in my earlier post my handgun would be a Ruger with coil springs throughout ---6
Model A Uzi’s
mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

Following Sixgun’s rule:

“A bolt action rifle, along with a single action handgun gets as simple and durable as you can get. ”

I would pick:

My Cooper Excalibur 22” .308 (B&C stock, OD Cerakote) and my Dan Wesson Valor 5” 1911.

I know he probably meant single action revolvers only, but I don’t own one of those and the single action 1911 is as close as I can get.

This game is fun!

mos
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: One rifYou know Six, le, one pistol

Post by Old Savage »

You know Six, of the possible combos I guess I could go with the first pistol and rifle I ever bought. That would be a Miroku 81 BLR in ..243 Only :-).that is how it is labeled but it shoots .243 Win just fine. And then a K 22 from 1966. They are also the most accurate in each category.. BLR has a 4x Leopold Compact on it. There used to be golf balls sitting around at the 100 yd line. This was the best for shooting them.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:32 pmYou are all spoiled. Griff, what if you ride off on your horse in the old west. How many of each would you have?
At least one... :twisted: A spare Colt in a saddlebag... and Sixgun... why wouldn't you just put a Ruger spring & plunger in the Colt? I have done all my Colt's that way... perfect balance and now... reliability!

And I have to admit, I'm torn between the Sharps in .40-90BN or the 1903A3 as the 2nd rifle. Ah, to heck with it all... why am I worried about this... don't you think you'd have a pack horse? Shotgun, extra ammo, camp gear & supplies... maybe even two pack horses!!!! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff, some pics of the Colt - Ruger Springs? I am no horse guy and I see you have done some ridin and shootin. What could you reasonably carry, two rifles, four pistols?

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

:Had two friends that used to pack the high Sierras for a month each summer with horses and mules. Matt talked about throwing a diamond hitch. They took two guns. One carried a Ruger .22 Single Six, the other a Ruger Flattop .44 Mag. Later in the fall for deer they each had one rifle: a 30-06 Model 70 and a Savage 99 in .300 Savage both made in the 50s. Matt gave me Ray's .300.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'll have to get back to you on pics of the Colt mod...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:40 pm David, that is a different discussion.
Yes, I just later realized my post may have been rude, that was not my intent.
I'm thinking I'm in the mud because the bear attacked when I was sleeping if I find ammo I want it to go into something :) (But it should be loaded already)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

People sometimes tend to think extremes in these questions. I was originally thinking ... for the shooting I usually do. I have three pistols with 5,000.or more through them: a Springfield 1911, a S&W .44 Spl and a K22. It would be one of them and likewise a few rifles with 1,000 ish. But the .357 is a recent acquisition and actually I think my first rifle was .357 B92. Those would generally be my thinking.

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OK...OK...I'll relent......it's funny....the very first guns we ever buy are usually the best choices.....because when you have nothing, you don't want junk. Make sense?.....my very first handgun was a brass framed Ruger Blackhawk in .357 and my first rifle was a 94 Winchester Canadian centennial. It's after we already have "Mr. Necessity" we start to branch out buying junk.

A good solid levergun of American make..or possibly a Japchester would do fine. A double action Smith or Ruger would suffice...I'm not 100% on Colt double actions....great guns..expensive...but they get out of time easier than a smith....dunno, could be my luck pounding tens of thousand of rounds out of them....the Ruger double actions are by far the best for durability....

Hey, it's a free country...for now anyway......get yo self a homey gun and turn it sideways....mount the sights on the right side, right over the ejection port....and blast yo way through the hood....wit yo ho right behind yo.---6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My first pistol was a Ruger Mark II, and my Dad signed for it as I was too young. Back then it was ignored even though the law still read that the signer was who it was for. Small towns where everyone knew each other, and the man at the store was aware that I was not going to do stupid things with the gun. I still have that gun, and have taught both of my kids on it. It would go with me if I could take more than 2 guns. It is accurate and reliable. A .22lr should be available to anyone who is going camping or hiking where there aren't any bears or wild pigs. I stick by my original choices where there is a possibility of anything that could harm me, such as bears or wild pigs or feral humans. It is just that a reliable and accurate .22lr will handle so many situations and chores that it should always be a possible addition.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I um... have at least 4 or 5 mkII's and was just gifted a competition target MKIV I haven't gotten out yet to shoot.
This one you don't have to have gravity shoe's to hang upside down to reassemble ;)
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Rifle .. .22 rimfire single shot. It can be suppressed easily if need be. Easy to keep running no matter the conditions. And with it you can get anything else you need if you use just a bit of caution and imagination.

Handgun ... .22 Ruger Single six with a .22 Magnum cylinder. You can carry 500 rounds of ammo easily and take anything you need to keep you in protein. Or clothing.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

rifle--357 magnum levergun
pistol--357 S&W wheelgun
unlimited support--38 short or long for plinking, small game,38 special for personal protection, 357 magnum for big game.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

These are always interesting threads, and to some extent they boil down to four combinations, although 'shotguns' and 'muzzleloaders' complicate things - anyway - here's the pattern that comes out:

1. Centerfire Handgun, Centerfire Rifle
. a) Same cartridge
. b) Different cartridges
2. Centerfire Handgun, Rimfire Rifle
3. Rimfire Handgun, Centerfire Rifle
4. Rimfire Handgun, Rimfire Rifle

Rimfire/Rimfire doesn't make much sense to me, as you sacrifice power, and a really-good 22 LR handgun is close to as accurate as a 22 LR rifle, unless your 'niche' for the 22 LR handgun is a sub-compact gun, which isn't likely an "only two guns" goal, as even large 22 LR handguns are fairly concealable.

If there were a big need for CCW for self-defense against two-legs or bears, of course the Centerfire Handgun is vital.

If there were a big need for hunting or defense against really large game, of course the Centerfire Rifle is vital.

Keeping some sort of 22 LR is a good idea, because there is the potential to have a HUGE amount of ammunition portable, plus they are pretty quiet, even if unsuppressed, and suppression is fairly easy.

So what about a Centerfire Handgun AND a Centerfire Rifle...? That would sacrifice having at least one quiet, lots-of-ammo gun capable of small-game or quietly eliminating tactical 'problems'. When would that be worth the sacrifice...? I would submit that the primary reason would be if the Handgun and Rifle SHARED the same chambering, which means you could have lots of ammo (though not as much as a 22 LR) and supply both guns with the same inventory. A 'pistol caliber levergun' and companion handgun are perfect for this (though I guess so would an Encore pistol in 308 and a M1A). The only other scenario I could think of would be if there were a need for a Centerfire Handgun (bears, two-legs), but ALSO a need for a long-range rifle in one of the bottleneck cartridges like 223, or 308, or 30-30 or 45-70 or even 338 Lapua. That doesn't seem as likely other than if the scenario were 'urban survival', where you'd clearly be advantaged with an AR-15 or M1A or long-action levergun or whatever, AND wanted a snap-shootable handgun for surprises that came at you. BUT in that kind of crowded, highly-armed, environment, it would be likely that you could re-arm with any number of popular firearms if you weren't in the initial body count, and it might well be that having a quiet (suppressed) 22 LR pistol would serve you better in acquiring additional firearms than a noisier Centerfire Handgun.

So.....it seems like the most logical alternatives would be:

> 22 LR Pistol, Centerfire Rifle
> 22 LR Rifle, Centerfire Pistol
> Matching Pistol-caliber Guns

Those combinations were among the most common on this thread, which either means 'great minds think alike'. . . or. . . 'we are all doomed'.... :lol:

I don't have any 22 LR rifles that can do all that much better than my 22 LR Ruger Mk-3, so the Centerfire Pistol, and 22 LR Rifle is probably out. That leaves either a 22 LR pistol with some sort of centerfire rifle, or a pair of 357 Mag/44 Mag/45 Colt firearms of some sort. The 357 is probably the best unless in bear country, because the guns are noticeably lighter, and so is the ammunition, plus it is more likely you can 'find' 38/357 ammo versus the other cartridges.

So....

a) 357 Mag Marlin 1894 and 357 Mag handgun (.....hmmmm.....Desert Eagle or Speed Six....???)

or

b) 22 LR Ruger Mk-3 and some sort of rifle. Probably an AR-15 since they are SO common (...but again, that means you could use your M1A, Enfield, BLR, or whatever to GET an AR-15....).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I think you missed my post, which of course is totally off on a different tangent, but one I can live with... :lol:

good analysis, I've been through a lot of those combos.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Sorry David didn’t look at this thread for few days. My MK II is an add on can. My point with the Aquila super colibre was that I don’t need a special safety or bolt latch it barely moves the slide, as in quiet. The manufacturer does not recommend using the Aquila super long(I think that is the name but know what you are talking about) in a suppressed application and I do not remember why.
As to those Fialas I sure could use a couple detailed pictures of a couple parts. I will send a PM tomorrow. Thanks
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A little surprised the .32 Mag has not come up it will fire shorter loads including the .32 Auto for a sub load. Likewise the .327 for more power.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Very interesting thread, the many geographic differences are obviously going to influence the choice of weapons. I do not foresee me taking up big game hunting or moving to a dangerous city environment. So as I said in an earlier post, a rimfire rifle for small game and a cap n ball handgun for fun would work for me. If change was thrust appon me for some reason then my choices might suck but what I use most now is going to be more useful and likely to continue to be frequently used, so as I love shooting I only want guns I can use every day rather than something I might only hunt with once a year or use only at a range.
It sure gets the old grey matter going though, just thinking about all the different scrapes one might find yourself getting into and what you'd need to get you out of..... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:11 am A little surprised the .32 Mag has not come up it will fire shorter loads including the .32 Auto for a sub load. Likewise the .327 for more power.
In a world where ammo is in short supply it would make sense to have a firearm that can fire an assortment of ammo... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Coloradoyaler
Levergunner

Post by Coloradoyaler »

My Choice. Big Horn Armory 500S&W and a S&W 500 6"

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Coloradoyaler wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:45 pm My Choice. Big Horn Armory 500S&W and a S&W 500 6"

Ouch, that's good for Jurassic Park XII
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that'll shoot those hooters and tree rats who is boss :lol:

on third thought, that's what arrows are for ...
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

An older S&W 10 and a Hagn miniature in .357 or .300 AAC would do what I care to do with firearms.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...The manufacturer does not recommend using the Aquila super long(I think that is the name but know what you are talking about) in a suppressed application and I do not remember why."

It is because the slow velocity doesn't adequately stabilize the long bullet unless you have a super-fast twist, so it may 'yaw' in the suppressor, and cause baffle-strikes. I'm guessing that use of a larger-bore suppressor might mitigate that risk, although I'm not sure enough to risk my Mystic (.357") suppressor doing such a test. Other ammo like the CCI stuff that is hollow-point 1,000 fps is almost inaudible with a suppressor on a Mark-II(I) anyway. OR just use the Super Colubri without a suppressor - it's pretty darned quiet (not tested for accuracy though, and if it 'yaws' right out of the barrel it could be problematic.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

Has to be my winchester 30-30 and my s&w model 28 -357.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Mod 24 Savage 22/20ga and a Browning HP or maybe a Ruger Blk Hawk 357/9mm.