New Schuetzen Rifle -- Original Buchel Meister single-shot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

New Schuetzen Rifle -- Original Buchel Meister single-shot

Post by Old No7 »

Well, I'd sold off the Schuetzen Martini rifle (click for older post) that I'd bought last year about this time and finally fully repaired in the fall, as someone at the range made me an offer that I just could not refuse...

Turns out it was worth much more when restored to firing condition than it was when I first bought it. I'd had my fun with it, and fixing the non-working toggle was an interesting gunsmithing challenge, the toughest I'd ever faced, but I finally got it working well. And the sale allowed me to then upgrade to another German single-shot rifle that's in much better condition, and has some nicer features too.

Thanks to the assistance of some forum members over on the GGCA (German Gun Collectors Association) website, I have successfully identified all of the proof marks on this new-to-me "Original Buchel Meister" Schuetzen Rifle that I've recently acquired; which I've also identified from vintage Buchel info as a "Model 7226". That model # is listed in Buchel's catalog descriptions as an:
"Original-Meister-Buchse DRGM with automatic latch, 3-lever trigger set, Tyroler stock, without engraving."

There is a lot of excellent information about Buchel's rifles in the superb "Alte Scheibenwaffen" books (a 3-volume set), as I had acquired them from the GGCA shortly after joining. The writer of the section on Buchel said that:

"Of all the German Schuetzen Rifles, the Buchel Meister is, in my opinion, the finest of the lot but the virtues of its design and the quality of its construction have been virtually ignored by arms writers. The Bushel Meister ("master"), unlike most of the other Schuetzen actions, appears to have been made only by, or under the direction of, the Buchel firm. Buchel was one of the foremost makers of fine target rifles and pistols from around the turn of the century until the late 1920s. It is a true falling-block in the tradition of the Sharps and Winchester whose clever design is the ultimate in simplicity for this kind of action."

I'm really pleased with this rifle so far, and very impressed with its design and features too; as the block and trigger assembly are easily removed by turning 2 levers, and the rear sight base is offset so it can be cleaned from the chamber end (unlike the Martini I'd had); plus the case colors and finish are in great shape for its vintage. I do need to get it out shooting some again before I can comment more on its accuracy or that of the load I am using (a stop-ring 180gr bullet, resized .30-30 cases and SR4759 powder). For sure, shooting a Tyrolean-stocked Schuetzen Rifle off the bench -- for sighting-in, to get the most in accuracy -- is an exercise in itself, but it's been a fun journey so far.

This rifle was proofed back in September of 1925, on ledger number "28" at the Zella-Mehlis Germany proof house.

Here she is...

( Click on any image to enlarge )
Buchel Original Meister 01 (Medium).jpg
Buchel Original Meister 02 (Medium).jpg
Buchel Original Meister 03 (Medium).jpg
Buchel Original Meister 04 (Medium).jpg
Buchel Original Meister 05 (Medium).jpg

I can't wait to get her* back out to the range again for some more serious load development work.

.....* "She" doesn't have a name yet, but at 13.6 pounds... She is at risk of being called -- "Das Stählerne Mädchen!"

"The Steel Maiden"

Tight groups, and Waidmannsheil!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Schuetzen Rifle -- Original Buchel Meister single-shot

Post by M. M. Wright »

Aw man 7, that is a beautiful rifle. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! That is beautiful. Congratulations.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Cool !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve worked with two 8.15x46R schuetzens . The first was a Martinni that belonged to a dearly departed friend . It seemed to make his day when I got it shooting fairly well for him . And shortly after that I got one like your new one , that one took a bit more work .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The first time I ever heard of Scheutzen rifles was back in the 70's when I read an article in THE AMERICAN RIFLEMAN about a match sponsored by the Coors Brewing Company. At that time I had never heard of Scheutzen or Coors. Living in Florida at the time Coors was something that we were only made aware of after SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT.
As I recall the match that was reported on was won by a guy shooting a Ruger #1 in .30-06. There just aren't a lot of those rifles floating around in my part of the country. They are beautiful though.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice find Darryl, no need to go to the gym if you carry that rifle a lot... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A fine example of craftsmanship. We are awaiting a range report.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I love schuetzen rifles by any maker, and that's a beauty!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Congratulations, Darryl. There is just nothing the feels quite s lovely as a schuetzen rifle snuggled against shoulder and cheek. I had a chance to buy a System Aydt many years ago, and have regretted not buying it ever since.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Congrats !

I see you're mentioning .30 cal boolits & a .30-30 case, but I thought that Scheutzen rifles were chambered for a metric cartridge.

What's the chambering ?

wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

She's one curvy, gorgeous piece of kit!

Wm
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Pete44ru wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:21 am Congrats !

I see you're mentioning .30 cal boolits & a .30-30 case, but I thought that Scheutzen rifles were chambered for a metric cartridge.

What's the chambering ?
Gee, guess I'd left that detail out...

6pt-sika nailed it -- it's the 8.15x46R, what some call the "German .32-40" (not quite, but close). Before 1909, there were as many variations of that chambering as there were makers of it, but an attempt was made to standardize dimensions by then.

Here's the case dimensions:
x 8.15x46R Case.jpg

And this image shows you that cartridge as formed by using .38-55 Starline brass (formed/sold by Buffalo Arms, BACO), with two very different lead "stop ring" bullets that I will plan to thoroughly test:
x 8.15x46R Cases.jpg

My rifle came with 150 cases (and RCBS forming dies) all neck-annealed and sized from .30-30 cases and the length is a little longer than the BACO brass that I'd bought for my older Martini. Comparing it to the chamber cast that also came with this rifle, the longer .30-30 formed cases should be best -- for my rifle, that is. Further testing will tell for sure.

Thanks to all for the comments!

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH