12 Gauge Flare Guns As SD In Gun-Prohibited Areas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

12 Gauge Flare Guns As SD In Gun-Prohibited Areas

Post by Blaine »

I've been thinking about something to have when the commie state I happen to be driving thru prohibits actual handguns.

They make CS shells for them, but do actual 12ga shotgun shells fit into them and fire? Not regular loads, but, say, a really light load of large pellets?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 12 Gauge Flare Guns As SD In Gun-Prohibited Areas

Post by 2ndovc »

Marine flares are shorter than 2 3/4".

When my dad went on his sailing trip from Lake Erie to the Caribbean, he took along an H&R 12ga that I'd bought and had been cut down to 18 1/2". He did everything legally, checking it in at each island along the way, but knew he could break it down and stash it all over the boat if he needed to, or just chuck it over the side if necessary. There's gotta be a good hidey hole in that camper somewhere. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Blaine, Kennasaw Cannon Company makes a 22lr or 45/410 adapter for them. Tidd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

RST makes the low-pressure shotshells that I use in two of my pre-WWI 20 & 28 gauge shotguns with complete confidence, AND they also make low pressure 2" (fired length) & 2-1/2" 12ga ammo.

http://www.rstshells.com/store/m/2-12-Gauge.aspx

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Some cool suggestions above I didn't know existed, but I'd be more tempted to just have a 'regular' firearm that was inexpensive enough to consider disposable. A 12 gauge something-or-other does sound pretty cool though, if you could work around dumb laws legally.

Bummer to have to do that kind of thing though.... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Aquila makes 12 gauge shells that are only about 1 1/2 inches long but nearly full power. My wife uses them in her Remington s x s double.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BUT 8) Will a 12ga shell fit into a 12ga Flare gun?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

No, they go from 12gauge down to 14gauge for that reason. Picture a square bottleneck.. You would have to shorten the 12 gauge shells to less than 2". Look at the flares at Malwart or Tractor Supply in the boating section.

Pete, i found those RST shells for a guy who wanted to shoot an old shotgun, then last week there was a guy selling them at the gunshow.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Go to 4-50 for what happens when a short shell is discharged in the flare gun.
The rest of the video is pretty good, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjVw1_H3wXM

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Has anyone researched the use of the flare cartridge in a legal flare gun as a way to defend yourself in an emergency situation..??
It seems to me that catching a flare in the chest at close range wouldn't be a good choice and presented with that option might be sufficient to send a bad guy off looking for easier pickins'.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I would and have resorted to carrying a cap & ball revolver in circumstances where a modern firearm was not an option.

Jack
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If they outlaw handguns and you are not accosted while sailing down the street in your boat a flare pistol is still going to be an illegal firearm. Step up to a long gun for primary defense. A used pump gun will get all the respect ya want.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:30 am BUT 8) Will a 12ga shell fit into a 12ga Flare gun?
NO. the 12ga flare gun has a short chamber to prevent that, but I believe the aquila short shells will fit. what I have is a combloc 26.5mm flare pistol with a 12ga adaptor. It can go thru Canada on my sailboat and is required as safety gear. the modern west marine plastic flare pistols aren't up to firearms grade, but I suspect a belly with phosphor in it would be quite disabling...

https://www.apexgunparts.com/more/surpl ... steel.html
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Yep, I believe a flare gun, although it's original intention is emergency signaling, is still a gun. Just an odd shape, big and clumsy, but still a firearm. Kinda like that nice 12" chef's knife I have, originally it was intended to cut veggies, but when it's in my car, it's a weapon (sword!)...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

mikld wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:43 am Yep, I believe a flare gun, although it's original intention is emergency signaling, is still a gun. Just an odd shape, big and clumsy, but still a firearm. Kinda like that nice 12" chef's knife I have, originally it was intended to cut veggies, but when it's in my car, it's a weapon (sword!)...
not in Canada... the flare device I posted is, specified in Canadian law, a signaling device, designed and built for signaling purposes. been through this with Canadian equivalent of attorney general's office.

if a firearm has been converted to use as a signal device, THAT IS SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITED.

IT IS EASY TO CARRY A PUMP SHOTGUN IN CANADA. AND A FLARE SIGNALING DEVICE IS NOT PROHIBITED, it is required as a safety item aboard a boat.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:27 am If they outlaw handguns and you are not accosted while sailing down the street in your boat a flare pistol is still going to be an illegal firearm. Step up to a long gun for primary defense. A used pump gun will get all the respect ya want.
The Sarcasm is very good, comical, and much appreciated, but having the Orion Flare Gun, in it's orange Kit Box, while on a multi-state vacation is not far-fetched. So, if you get stopped for a tail light what are you goind to tell the cop? Hey, I've got this flare gun kit to shoot people with, or I was hoping to get in some fishing in Ohio and wanted this along in case of emergencies on a cheap-azz rental boat. :roll: :roll: ?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

How about taking the flare ammo, emptying ipthem, and putting in some hard rubber balls or marbles?

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:42 am Go to 4-50 for what happens when a short shell is discharged in the flare gun.
The rest of the video is pretty good, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjVw1_H3wXM
Those idiots in that video fail to comprehend that that particular flare gun goes from 12 to 14 gauge (as mentioned earlier) and that the pressures spike because of that.
You would have trouble shooting the lightest possible load through that.
And they bemoan the fact that the flares are 12 gauge to begin with. I'm sure that is tradition. Once upon a time sailors probably didn't have to stow a special flare gun, and could use the the most common one they happened to already have.

Blaine, all states have their own weapons laws, in addition to the federal ones. So there is no one, pat answer as to legality.
A flare gun is a signalling device and probably legal to transport in all 50 states. To carry on one's person....I'm not so sure about that.
Once you use something with expanding gases to shoot someone, it becomes a weapon, or a firearm, or maybe even an illegal or prohibited weapon.
So...if you have to use it, you are screwed.

So, if you are going to take that risk, why not just carry a real firearm? If you are not comfortable transporting a handgun, take a 16" bbl rifle or shotgun.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Over here in not so jolly old England, I can only have a Flare pistol on an ocean going boat. Blaine, I like your thinking though, if things get as bad as they are over here it's nice to know a way to "legally" stay armed and dangerous.....of course the "illegal" way is just too easy… :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

a can of 20 foot wasp and hornet spray has been used in these conditions before......
m.A.g.a. !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:51 pm a can of 20 foot wasp and hornet spray has been used in these conditions before......
Since we're parsing the fine print vis-a-vie legalities, those cans of chemicals always say it's against the Law to use in any manner not in accordance with it's intended purpose.
My short blade, quick open folder is probably the best bet. Besides, I've always had my little LCP handy, legal or not. It would suck to be in an accident have have it recovered by LEOs....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV