S&W 6904 acquired

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

S&W 6904 acquired

Post by wm »

New to me S&W 6904 (reimported by Century from Israel LE surplus) Typical cop turn …… well worn but not abused example. Got it for a song ($165 PLUS s&h, & what not). Trigger reset is a little "off" and I may need to do a bit of tinkering there eventually but it is tight and accurate. Very pleased.

But research indicates that finding 12 round 6900 magazines is going to be tougher then I expected. Fortunately 15 round 5900 magazines fit. May end up feeling compelled to add a 5900 just because :D .

Right now its just a range toy but I could see myself using it as a carry option or maybe replacing my long suffering S&W model 10 as my truck gun.

Anyone with experiences with S&W autos they would like to share?

Wm

P.S. The first handgun I ever bought as a 21 year old (1988) was a S&W 3906 (still have it) and while I occasionally fretted over the capacity as the number of 15 round+ firearms seemed to be de rigueur as the 90's wore on the handgun itself never disappointed me.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W 6904 acquired

Post by GunnyMack »

I remember seeing slo-mo video of the S&W semi autos, it sure looked like the slide stuttered & stammered in motion, the slide stop lever flapped like a dumbocrates lips when recoiling- BUT they work!
Good find and ya got a great deal!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

nice score...and nice gun as well
I have had 59 series and carry 4506 when hiking in bear country...
very accurate!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Is this an evolution of the S&W Model 39?

If so, I have not evolved!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

crs wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:22 am Is this an evolution of the S&W Model 39?

Yes ..... shorter barrel, wider grip (12 round capacity).

Wm
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

"Anyone with experiences with S&W autos they would like to share?

My wife and each have and shoot S&W M39 pistols. WE both used them to qualify for concealed carry licenses years ago. Both pistols are accurate and a pleasure to shoot - plus they look nice and we get "what is that" questions at the range from folks that have never seen one.

We also have smaller 9mm and .380 concealed carry autos that are more concealable, but not as nice to shoot.

This reminds me that the rain has finally ceased and the temp is approaching 70 degrees - it is range time I north Texas!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Range Report on the 6904 …… accurate and eats everything I fed it. Shot 250 rounds/5 varieties of ammo. Fed everything without a hint of trouble. Accuracy was good but not great. Definitely MoBG (Minute of Bad Guy), I had no trouble with either double taps or head shots (Mozambique drill). Those S&W/Novak sights were always my favorites but as my eyes age they seem to be better suited to me.

The bad news is the trigger reset is definitely not quite right. There is a 'false reset' just ahead of the actual reset that wants to fool the shooters senses. I'm not sure what would cause it but before I trust 6904 I will have to deal with that. Probably just a funky sear or kinked spring or something simple. I may just replace most of those parts figuring after 30+ years of service a overhaul is not a bad idea.

All in all I am tickled to death.

These old metal and hammer fired handguns definitely feel better in the hand then the polymer and striker fired handguns that dominate the market today. At least for me they do.

I just wish I could dress up the 6904 a little with some nice grips but I don't ever recall seeing anything other then the as issued S&W grips and the rubber ones Hogue offered. AT least the first and second generation S&W autos lent themselves to aftermarket grip options …… the 3rd generation with their wrap around style didn't.

WM
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

crs wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:22 am Is this an evolution of the S&W Model 39?

Here's a page showing the evolution https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/guid ... ic-models/

The third generation were good guns, but S&W stopped supporting them and some parts can be a bit hard to find now.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I have quite a few 3rd generation S&W pistols and the false reset could be a weak trigger spring. Take the slide off and see if the trigger is dragging on the drawbar as you pull the trigger rearward as if firing it. The is also a small retainer spring on the front of the trigger that could have broken.

Springs are available from Wolffs and the spring and rivet from S&W but bear in mind parts are becoming hard to come by.

Mike