Spring is springing in North Texas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Spring is springing in North Texas

Post by crs »

Plum and peach trees are blooming and pears are budding.Many of the native trees are budding.
Tulips are up, but not yet blooming. Yellow daffodils are blooming, as are some native vines. The flowering quince is way behind , but should bud sometime before summer.

Rye in pasture is green and eaten as fast as the ponies can find it, but my yard rye has been green all winter and will stay that way until the Bermuda comes up in 80 degree weather. Makes for chores too - gotta fire up the riding mower tomorrow to cut yards rye down a bit.

Man, after months of cold rainy weather( 2018 was second wettest year on record), I am needing some decent outdoor weather. Going hunting for exotics at Hondo in two weeks and it should be even nicer down there. I plan to give my .405 double some much needed exercise.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Spring is springing in North Texas

Post by Twodot »

Good to hear.
Kind of chilly here still in Montana.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thinking of spring... do any of you Dallas area guys have a rototiller? I need to till up my yard from where the contractors, (plumbing, plumbing, foundation & concrete) tore it all the get-out... ruts deep enough to fish in... mini lakes the size of small cars! I'm going to be home next week, and want to get it done before family comes a'visitin' in April.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

It's the same here on the San Gabriel River. I spent about 2 hours running the weed eater ... got just the obvious stuff. And I was on the mower for about 3 hours after that. But the weeds are knocked down and it's starting to look presentable again ....

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Griff,
I will be working with my farm helper tomorrow and will ask about the roto tiller.
How much ground you need to till?

We had one years back, but it was puny and only for very little garden plots. I personally never used it.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

crs wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:01 pmGriff,
I will be working with my farm helper tomorrow and will ask about the roto tiller.
How much ground you need to till?

We had one years back, but it was puny and only for very little garden plots. I personally never used it.
About an acre and a half.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Those picture about destroyed me...while it's nothing compared to Old Win, it's still cold and windy...about 34, dismal, wet.....

Come this time of the year, I've had enough.---6
Model A Uzi’s
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Looks Marvelous.... :D . It's 20* here with light snow falling if I didn't feel like pelosi right now I would be screaming . :cry: .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah the only thing green here the trim on the house,shop & shed! The yard is mud between the frost in the ground and the inch of ice on top. I'm going to need a tiller myself, with all the rain we had here and the dogs my grass is gone!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
TWHBC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TWHBC »

Only sign I have seen of spring here in the Black Hills is increased daylight.
Still getting below zero at night and sometimes stays close to zero during the day.
Come on spring!!!!!!!!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Gunny Mack,
We have evolved to a touch of green on house and all outbuildings. Not bad, actually. Green goes well in the country.
If the building is green, it has white trim and vice versa. Here is an example, shop is white with green. Barn is some of each and new guest house is green with white trim.

Naturally, NO ONE messes with the John Deere colors!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Freeze coming this weekend... So much for all those tender young buds and shoots.

:?
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

FWiedner wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:08 pm .
Freeze coming this weekend... So much for all those tender young buds and shoots.

:?
And there's another ray of sunshine ^ :lol: ^

Yes, the daffodils (jaunquils) have been up for a couple of weeks, tulip trees are always the 1st to bloom out. The pear trees are in full bloom today. Winter weeds are getting a couple of inches on them. Some have bloomed out....
I also have moss growing on the trees, in the yard, on the house, on the driveway :roll: . There are new forms of moss an swamp weed sprouting up.
I have seen plenty of years where we had more amount of rain, but I have never seen it spaced out like it has been since last Spring.
Usually, in late July and August, everything dies and turns brown. We begin to moan the fact that we don't remember what rain looks like.
But last summer everything stayed green all year. Thank God for chemicals or I would never have been able to keep up with mowing the yard.

But I'm not yet ready to dance on Winter's grave. The latest I have ever seen it snow here is April 9th.
In 1987 we had a week-long snow (not ice) storm the last week of February. Then, exactly 4 weeks later, another week-long snow storm in March.

I cannot even clean up the yard. Leaves and sticks are everywhere. Can't even walk in the yard without leaving deep footprints. I may have to put balloon tires on my mower. :(

But anything beats an ice storm.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Griff wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:31 pm Thinking of spring... do any of you Dallas area guys have a rototiller? I need to till up my yard from where the contractors, (plumbing, plumbing, foundation & concrete) tore it all the get-out... ruts deep enough to fish in... mini lakes the size of small cars! I'm going to be home next week, and want to get it done before family comes a'visitin' in April.
Sound almost like you need a 3-point PTO tiller, which I don't have.

But I do have a front tine walk-behind tiller you can borrow.
I also have a 9-foot disc harrow you can borrow. Might be kinda big for the yard.
After tilling, an old set of metal bed springs is great to drag around and smoothe the yard. It busts up the clogs and fills in the low spots.

PM or message me on FB if you want to use either one.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

vancelw wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:13 pm
Griff wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:31 pm Thinking of spring... do any of you Dallas area guys have a rototiller? I need to till up my yard from where the contractors, (plumbing, plumbing, foundation & concrete) tore it all the get-out... ruts deep enough to fish in... mini lakes the size of small cars! I'm going to be home next week, and want to get it done before family comes a'visitin' in April.

I also have a 9-foot disc harrow you can borrow. Might be kinda big for the yard.
After tilling, an old set of metal bed springs is great to drag around and smoothe the yard. It busts up the clogs and fills in the low spots.

I have a 6' disc harrow, and a 3pt contraption that uses railroad spikes to level out the dirt after it's disc'd up. I'm probably going to rent a rototiller the local rental yard has that attached to the front of a bobcat... after I get done grinding down the stumps...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Griff wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:54 pm
vancelw wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:13 pm

I have a 6' disc harrow, and a 3pt contraption that uses railroad spikes to level out the dirt after it's disc'd up. I'm probably going to rent a rototiller the local rental yard has that attached to the front of a bobcat... after I get done grinding down the stumps...
Last August it was actually dry enough for a short time that I rented a D6 and made 4 clearings in my woods. I pushed up a LOT of stumps (the place was clear cut 10 or 12 years ago) and took out the crappy cedar and elm scrub. Now it is a swamp. If I had known it was going to rain every 3 days until the end of time, I would have taken a week off work to smoothe out those knew clearings and maybe even dug a pool. By this time it dries out enough, I may have to clear it again :(

When I bought the land next to me we made an 800 foot long clear cut to install the boundary fence. I rented a stump grinder for the weekend and ground out all the stumps on 10 foot of either side of the line. Talk about a chore. I'm too old for that nonsense.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

griff,
I was not able to locate the equipment you need, so renting it may be the best solution.

Vance,
I feel your pain ,
Especially where you live near the Red River. Some of that land does not drain too well.

All my low spots have been flooded for months, but at least my house is above the 100 year flood line.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

crs wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:40 pm
Vance,
I feel your pain ,
Especially where you live near the Red River. Some of that land does not drain too well.

All my low spots have been flooded for months, but at least my house is above the 100 year flood line.
That's the sad part. I'm no where near a creek bottom or river bottom.
And...I'm on sandy land, not black land.
It JUST WON'T STOP RAINING ever 3 days :(
I think I only deer hunted 2 afternoons, out of 1 month of archery, 2 months of gun season, and 2 weeks of BP season. Just couln't make myself sit out in the cold rain.
So I worked overtime so I can go to Africa :D
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Same here.
On deer and exotic hunts, it had rained for days previous and we hunted anyhow thanks to great blinds and UTVs to haul us around. Plus PH to do the dirty work.
No more hog hunting for me until things dry out .
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Springtime in colorful Colorado:
20190314_185454.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Had quite a warm day yesterday- high 40s, majority of the snow & ice melted. But there is mud everywhere, still frost in the ground, so the inch or so of mud is STOS !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Yep it just continues here on the North Coast, got the flu from the Kids two weeks ago, missed a week of work, yesterday it was near 70* and tomorrow and Sunday snow. and We have the mud as well. no use in crying so :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Here in the Northern Chihuahuan Desert, spring is well underway. Fruit trees are already blossomed out and cottonwoods are bright green. The yuccas are pushing up flowers and the mesquite, the desert willows and the ocatillos have all broken dormancy. We are still chilly at night, dancing around the freezing point, but we will be missing those cool mornings soon enough.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This winter in western WA, I've seen more snow and cold than since I got here in '85. Today, and for about a week, we'll have some 60 degree/sunny weather, but there will still be a good chill when we wake up.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Broke 70 today!!! Mud is getting deeper as the frost has thawed, a good 2" of soup in the yard. The girls are out laying on the deck and tearing around playing in the mud.
Colder temps for the weekend.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!