What's the allure of "tactical"?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

What's the allure of "tactical"?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Once I stopped laughing after looking at this Mossberg "tactical .22," it occurred to me that the firearms industry milks "tactical" for all it is worth in marketing schemes.
Have we gotten to the point that a vast segment of our shooting public nurses a Walter Mitty fantasy about being involved in a truly tactical situation? I think it is kind of pathetic, but then I am an old guy.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/mossberg-464 ... GGPc89KjGY
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: What's the allure of "tactical"?

Post by J Miller »

:roll: :roll: NO, NO, A THOUSAND TIMES NO!

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Boy, that Mossberg is some piece of work :roll:
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Marvin, not hard to figure on why it might be on sale ... :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Dam it Bill. You should have issued some kinda warning about that link. Now I have to gouge my eyes out, because I can’t unsee that.
And as far as the tactical stuff? Yup movies and video games. Just like us with Winchester’s and colts.
The tactical stuff isn’t really my cup of tea but at least the tacticool guys aren’t afraid of guns and trying to ban them.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Looks like a guy in drag with a 5 o'clock shadow. Just something no gun maker should ever lower himself to doing.
I understand the desire to make options to draw in more buyers. But anyone whose drawn to "tactical" style guns wont be fooled by that abortion. And the rest of the older crowd that appreciates lever guns will be offended by it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

When Six and I were at that auction a couple weeks ago we were watching tactical 870 shotguns go for double what regular 870 were going for. Same gun but just neede to meet my horizontal bandsaw to be considered “tacticool.”
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I saw the center fire version in a gunshop, it didn't make my heart skip a beat that's for sure. :o
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

The EBR/tactical jockey shorts crowd will buy them by the thousands.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

fordwannabe wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 pm When Six and I were at that auction a couple weeks ago we were watching tactical 870 shotguns go for double what regular 870 were going for. Same gun but just neede to meet my horizontal bandsaw to be considered “tacticool.”
How much were regular 870's going for? I tried selling an 870 in 12 gauge 2 3/4" for $200 no one wanted it or even made an offer!
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

"Tactical" is the new "too cool, too hip" way of thinking. I've seen everything from "tactile" sunglasses, all clothing right down to "tactile skivvies", flashlights, pocket knives, MREs, to weird abortions like the Mossberg. When I lived in LA I saw a lot of "jacked up" 4 WD pick ups, painted a matte olive drab (non reflective "tactile" paint job) whose tires never saw dirt, but they were "massively tact", dude...

Maybe it's like the "Surfer fad" or the flower child in the '60s, then the disco hero in the '70s-'80s, then the Yuppie. Who knows what the next fad will be? Hopefully a "New Conservative" where men are men, and women are women and the androgynous "male" will go away...
Last edited by mikld on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

They were approximately $150-175
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

and camo sweats and camo tee shirts and camo baseball caps and camo canteens and camo sleeping bags and camo sandals

game-boy rigging
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Grizz wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:03 pm and camo sweats and camo tee shirts and camo baseball caps and camo canteens and camo sleeping bags and camo sandals

game-boy rigging
Yep, I told my wife I was gonna get her a Jungle Leaf camo bra for Christmas. It took 2 weeks for the black eye to go away...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:lol: :lol: So much for Conseratives being for personal choice.
Some of ya are "offended". smh :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Didn’t say they shouldn’t or couldn’t make it, said it was fugly.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

fordwannabe wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:01 pm Didn’t say they shouldn’t or couldn’t make it, said it was fugly.
Me, too... and I won't pelosi on the people that do buy them. That's what snowflakes do. :wink:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

You mis speeled tactical …… it should be spelled tacticool.

Tactical is a concept that has progressed from practical application to benefit the user to ostentatious demonstration to impress the casual observer. Like gadgets on a car …… at some point they started adding stuff just because they could.

Wm.

P.S. Just out of curiosity I went over to Boyds gunstocks to see what a replacement set would cost. Walnut butt stock and foreend $54 plus shipping. Not bad. Seems like a fixable problem.
mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

Grizz wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:03 pm and camo sweats and camo tee shirts and camo baseball caps and camo canteens and camo sleeping bags and camo sandals

game-boy rigging
Easy there Grizz......I wear camo jammies! :wink:
That Mossburg does lend meaning to the phrase "butt ugly".
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

segue to this

https://www.cdnnsports.com/iac-import-h ... l?___SID=U

it's a fake 870, I bought one years ago first time I saw it online. Put a collapsible stock on it for various levels of clothing and convenience in transporting. Mine is crudely fashioned in a way, some sharp metal on the receiver bottom, etc. Best part, the receiver sight and blade setup are perfect for my eyesight. Best, truck, skiff, woods walking bear gun I know of, for something I can take thru CA.

cleared it into Canada twice. last time the Customs official said wistfully, "I sure do like that shotgun".
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Being an old airedale, and a TAC troop to boot, I know the real secret is to be strategic not tactical. If you have to go tactical things have already gotten much worse than you would ever want. So for me the "allure" is to be strategic.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's all just semantics and marketing.

I've got a Ruger 10/22 that is 40 years old, and wearing a Tapco stock so I could put the Bushnell Holosight on it with the LaserMax pistol laser on the top rail in front of it, and a Coast LED flashlight on the lower rail. I also have a flash-suppressor/muzzle-protector on it so if the muzzle gets 'dipped' by me or a kid, it won't plug up. With all that stuff sticking out, plus an old 25-round Butler Creek 'high-capacity magazine', it is the epitome of "mall-ninja-tacticool"......yet THAT is the single most practical night-time firearm I grab for MOST farmstead 'bumps-in-the-night'.

:|

I could go for a mil-spec AR-15 with 60-round magazine and high-quality 'battlefield irons' or a basic scope, that would look like an 'assault rifle' but not really 'tactical'.

I could (and would more likely) go for one of my 'Night Scout' leverguns, which are simply leverguns with a Burris Fastfire-II and LaserMax mounted, along with a Coast flashlight, just like the 10/22, only they have pretty wooden stocks, and no sticky-outey 'high-capacity' magazine or flash-suppressor. Are THEY 'tacticool'.....????

:?:

Personally, I just go for WHAT WORKS, and what works RELIABLY....I don't care what the marketing-folks call it, any more than I care what the politicians call it.

As far as THIS gun....

https://www.cdnnsports.com/mossberg-464 ... GItGy2ZP2R

....honestly, it may 'look funny' but so do I, and if you want something PRACTICAL to take out to check the chicken-coop at night, versus something beautiful to look at, that evokes the wonder of a simpler time, when men were men, and a day spent hunting was the mark of growing up, give me the fugly Mossberg anytime.....you can mount a decent light, decent sight (for night-time coop-raiders, NOT for leisurely squirrel hunting in daytime), and laser to verify target acquisition, and you have the fast followup shots of a levergun (versus a bolt-action) and the quiet of a levergun (versus a semiauto). The only thing I'd add would be a threaded muzzle for a suppressor..... :o :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:10 am

Have we gotten to the point that a vast segment of our shooting public nurses a Walter Mitty fantasy about being involved in a truly tactical situation ?

Yes !

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:10 am Have we gotten to the point that a vast segment of our shooting public nurses a Walter Mitty fantasy about being involved in a truly tactical situation?
I suppose there's just as many people looking at this forum thinking you have "cowboys and indians" fantasies.
Slow is just slow.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

cas wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:08 pm
Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:10 am Have we gotten to the point that a vast segment of our shooting public nurses a Walter Mitty fantasy about being involved in a truly tactical situation?
I suppose there's just as many people looking at this forum thinking you have "cowboys and indians" fantasies.
I have Rambo against antifa fantasy!! :twisted:
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I see the fascination with "tactical" hardware and appliances the same way I do the issue of stolen glory.

A person who never managed the intestinal fortitude to actually put on a uniform wants to pretend that they're "fresh from the fight".

... Or maybe they just like cool looking black molded plastic pseudo-military accessories.

:D
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It's the tactical guns that are driving the market and keeping the gun manufacturers in business so we have the money and the numbers of citizens to fight the ones who are trying to take our pelosi away. Most all guns sold today are for defense...against other two legged predators and our possible tyrannical government.

Let em be even if we are levergun fanatics....what you don't find "cool" is helping to save what you like.....we are all in the same boat. I've been in this game heavily for over 40 years and about 25 years ago, all of the die hard gun guys were seriously worried about our future and how the young crowd did not care about firearms...then came the Iraq War and true to fashion our guys coming back from the sandbox wanted everything tactical....may God Bless em...they really did save our sport.

Now go put that under your hat.-

I'll go on to say that some of you here sound like what was said in the old days that nearly sold our soul, "I don't care if they take semi automatics away, I hunt deer." Retarded thinkng---6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

U B --> 6

(FYI that is my attempt at ebonics... :mrgreen: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Screw the Ebonics Doc....not much has ever pizzed me off this much as this post.

The same guys rant and rave over their ubertis and Rossi's when thats all they are doing "by trying to save a buck" is sending their money to leftist governments who would really like to see the greatest country in the world get toppled over.

Don't buy their pelosi, period. America's innovation in capitalism and engineering will create a company in this country that will make the same stuff....better. Look at Henry Arms. Phuck that foreign junk from Italy and South America. Buy American.---6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't read Kyle Lamb's section in Guns & Ammo. Anyone who cannot inderstand that infrared light is given off by heat sources, and that IR and Thermal sights both pick up the output from heat and has used both in the Army is just not important to me. His writing is usually about how to be tactical from what I see.

It would seem that there are enough people who like his column that it is still in the magazine.

Ugly guns may have a purpose. I can see a point in Doc AJ's having a gun for night operations in protection of his property and livestock. Like Forest Gump says, ugly is as ugly does.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wait, Six, this thread makes you angry? :?:
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:21 am Wait, Six, this thread makes you angry? :?:
Bill...one day you will get as old as me and then everything makes you angry. :D Not really....---6
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

To me it's not where this gun is built. In fact I've got no idea where they're built, and my thoughts about it are based on how it looks. I can actually look at many AR15, AK47, and other various black rifles and not be offended at all. I think the whole tactical fad is selling lots of guns, and to me that's a good thing. But this gun should turn off everyone, whether they like lever guns, or tactical guns. It's about ugly, and not so much about tactical.
I am not offended by the thread, or the various replies. But I am offended that Mossberg would stoop this low to sell guns, or feel gun owners are stupid enough to find this gun appealing? If anyone here already owns one, I apologize if what I said offended their sense of taste.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Went to the range one day with a club member who did tactial shooting.he had his 15 or so 9mm cap glock and I my 1911 in 45 acp 7 shot.We set up at 5 to 25 yds and he was showing me the double tap game.I ask him to try this.We stood side by side and I said start by engaging the 5 yd target,we had our own B4 target, but you must double tap and I will shoot only once.By the time he 2 tapped the 15 yd I was on the 25 and had a kill or disabling shot on each one.Sort of changed his mind on small cal and multi shots per threat.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:47 am
Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:21 am Wait, Six, this thread makes you angry? :?:
Bill...one day you will get as old as me and then everything makes you angry. :D Not really....---6
Bill, he's BSing again. :P (Now that I know he has a legit medical reason for being dizzy, I'll cut him an iota of slack :wink: )

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey...hey...hey..there Blaine! If the Democrats can cry and use emotions to get their way, why can't I? :D

Mmmmmm....got to see who I can punish today. :D got a new moniker..."The Punisher". See? I can use big words like you educated guys.

(OK, I'm a whack job but I kinda like it........)

YOU GUYS AINT SEEN NUTTIN'....."THE PITCHY" is working on a new toy....stop on over the Campfire.....This new crossbow he is making will go right on through 14 Democrats lined up.---6
Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I’ve read all the posts. But I’m now lost. Time for a nap.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:47 am
Those DTs are rough... :lol:

I like my leverguns and double guns. A lot.
I also like my ARs and other semis.
I like my pumps. I have 4, 870s. Two of them are 1965 era: one each in 12 and 16. One them is a Marine Magnum. Its intended to be tacticool but it's my go-to hog gun! And the other day I bought a Tac-14 just to pee Pelosi off. :D

There are an awful lot of guns on the market that make me shake my head, wondering how enough people want that monstrosity to make it profitable. But I am so glad it is and that they are making more every day.

I'm also 100% in favor of buying American, but I won't sacrifice quality to do it. Yeah a Henry is better than a Taurus or Rossi, but I'll spend my money on a real Winchester or Marlin or even a Browning Miroku.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The word is tacticool.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm happy to see guys take up shooting, if Tacticool is what floats their boat that's fine, just because it don't float mine I see no reason to sink their boat. I saw how a lot of British shooters did nothing to stop our fascist gun laws just because their s by s Purdey was not threatened. Sixgun certainly has my respect regarding this thread but boy that Mossberg is hard to love.. :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.