Lightest trigger pull on a DA revolver...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Lightest trigger pull on a DA revolver...?

Post by AJMD429 »

For petite and/or elderly people with weak hands, I know there is always the option of a Beretta Tomcat tip-up, or a breakopen double-barrel shotgun, but the ones who need something concealable and able to stop an attacker need something more powerful than the 32 cal Beretta and smaller than a shotgun. Plus, if they are 'newbies' I still think the simplicity of a DA revolver is best, versus any semiauto.

So, the various 38/357 revolvers out there come to mind. I've shot S&W's, Rugers, Taurus', Charter Arms, H&R's, Colts, and probably others I can't recall, in various models, and probably the lightest trigger pull was on the Ruger LCR series. So I've advised petite/newbie types to try the 38/357 ones (using light 38 special loads) and the 9mm ones that reload with moon-clips.

Any other models I should be advising them to check out...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Lightest trigger pull on a DA revolver...?

Post by Blaine »

JMPO, but if they are not "gun people" and not likely to practice shooting a revolver might not be for them.
I coon-fingered one of these the other day. The easiest slide to rack that I know of. Single or easy double action. A de-cocker. One in .45 might be in my future.
https://www.springfield-armory.com/prod ... stack-9mm/

My formerly gun-hating Sis just got a Shield EZ 380 and with her weak, arthritic hands she has zero problem with it.
BTW, Beretta 86 is a .380 with a tip-up bbl.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

S&W has the Shield EZ slide in 380, they are real easy to rack. An older lady bought one and she absolutely has no problems. She had a rRuger LCP 380 and it was tough for her to use it. I had a .38 LCR and it was easy to shoot at 5-10 yards, a couple of younger ladies tried it and they really liked it but was out of their price range for the time being.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Buy a used S&W revolver and send it in to the factory for the Master Revolver Action Package. It's well worth the $150 I spent several years ago.

It's $165 now. https://www.smith-wesson.com/customer-s ... unsmithing
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

For defense and concealability for the beginner or oldster alike, (we are not talking cops or citizens that might be expecting trouble...for the average guy or gal.....nothing beats a small frame hammerless 38 Spl. ...period...not the 357, 38 Spl.

Simplicity at its finest in times of stress are needed for most everyone.

J frame 642. For the average individual, leave the trigger pull alone. Either they muscle up or they can hire a bodyguard. Most anything can happen as to mechanics as the average person is not savvy enough to keep it running proper. Dirt, grime, lint or whatever can get in the innards and make a weak action weaker.....a weak person pulling back double action is the recipe for misfires.

I can understand a couple of pounds reduction in the double action pull but I've handled many that felt like I was handling a cardboard cut out.

I load 200 grain soft swaged bullets going 600 fps....not 700....600---6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

jdad wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:30 pm Buy a used S&W revolver and send it in to the factory for the Master Revolver Action Package. It's well worth the $150 I spent several years ago.

It's $165 now. https://www.smith-wesson.com/customer-s ... unsmithing
That sounds worth the money. .38 Special Hydra-Shok is mild on recoil and that work on the revolver should make it easy for my Mom to use. She would have trouble loading a semi-auto. A revolver should work great for her. I need to look into that. A 4 inch .357, maybe a model 19, using .38 Special and with Smith &Wesson's smoothing of the internals out to be easy for her to use.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Varity is the spice of life....Take the person to a gun range that has a plethora of rental guns to use...some of the places will let you use the gun if you use there ammo.
Don't even TRY to tell a Lady what to buy. :roll:

Six, if that person practices a bunch, yeah, that DOA revolver is the berries, but if they don't know what the're doing they'll pull those shots to way right almost every time.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Blaine..very true with a DAO....POI will drift if not holding hard/steady.

Ok ...let's drop this handgun talk and go with the good ole standby....the pump shotgun! :D

On a different note, at the gunshow yesterday I noticed something that I had to ask questions about...... a new style of gun...as I've had no experience with them....short.....very short shotguns....nothing more than a stub in the back with a 14" barrel. Damm....I've shot lots of law enforcement short shotguns and they blast ya to hell, even with light loads. These new shorties must be double hell.....then I saw one in .410....mmmmm.thats a bit enticing.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

BlaineG wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:41 pm JMPO, but if they are not "gun people" and not likely to practice shooting a revolver might not be for them.
I coon-fingered one of these the other day. The easiest slide to rack that I know of. Single or easy double action. A de-cocker. One in .45 might be in my future.

My formerly gun-hating Sis just got a Shield EZ 380 and with her weak, arthritic hands she has zero problem with it.
you would give up both the trigger safety and the grip safety?? those features are why I own XDs.

that 86 now, I would like to try that one out
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:57 pm
BlaineG wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:41 pm JMPO, but if they are not "gun people" and not likely to practice shooting a revolver might not be for them.

you would give up both the trigger safety and the grip safety?? those features are why I own XDs.

that 86 now, I would like to try that one out
I have no desire for a Shield, my Sis liked hers....Now, the Springer XD-E is the berries, SA, DA, grip safety, and decocker. That trigger safety never made sense to me...either you're pulling it hard enough to shoot or not...

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Unfortunately, there are 'non-gun people' who will never master the 'complexity' of a semiauto, and don't want to even try. The hardass in me wants to just say "write them off - if they aren't that motivated, then screw 'em", but my recently deceased aunt would have been one of those women, and her neighbor was brutally raped over at least half a day, then murdered, so just telling such women (or petite/older men) 'suck it up and train' isn't realistic.

So for most of them the choice is a 'rape-whistle' or a revolver.... :|

Single-Action is obviously a non-starter for them, so double-action is the only option other than a derringer of some sort.

Just trying to figure out the best of those to try....

The S&W with an 'action job' is a kind recommendation. Thanks.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"I coon-fingered one of these the other day. The easiest slide to rack that I know of. Single or easy double action."
Blaine G.

My feeling is that in a panic situation, all bets are off as to how easy it will be to throw the slide to the rear -- whether loading or unloading.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I once had a Python that I sent to an old trooper in Florida who installed his roller sear. I asked him for a 4 lb. single action trigger pull and wen it came back both the single and double action pulls were 4 lbs. It was a fabulous pistol but with the price of Pythons these days and I doubt anyone is building roller sears for them any longer, I couldn't recommend one. I really like my de-horned Cobra though.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

My wife got a 9mm Ruger LCR with star clips and the trigger pull is pretty light. I shot a back up gun qualification with it, and it is a great, light, little gun. Keep in mind today was the first time I beat her in a rifle match in a couple of months.
It is not the critic who counts
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

the beretta 86 is even simpler to load and unload and fire than a revolver.... i have one and won’t part with it
and mine is amazingly accurate and fits my hand so well
they are pricey though
cable
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ray Newman wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:26 pm "I coon-fingered one of these the other day. The easiest slide to rack that I know of. Single or easy double action."
Blaine G.

My feeling is that in a panic situation, all bets are off as to how easy it will be to throw the slide to the rear -- whether loading or unloading.
Ray, racking the slide is for right before holstering it and leaving the house. :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I've been told the Kimber 6S has a phenomenal trigger. Unfortunately I do not have any first hand experience.

I mean to correct that sooner or later.

Wm
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BlaineG wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:55 am
Ray Newman wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:26 pm "I coon-fingered one of these the other day. The easiest slide to rack that I know of. Single or easy double action."
Blaine G.

Ray, racking the slide is for right before holstering it and leaving the house. :P
Racking the slide is for right after cleaning or malfunction drill. :wink:
I agree. Carrying unloaded? Might as well carry a toy hammer.
See this video for many examples:
https://youtu.be/rVPiic-ELoM
And here
https://youtu.be/0FXHVjXPtJk
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

In a previous life, I had to qualify and carry a service revolver, this is before the Glock craze, and all leo's were still carrying 38 sp revolvers.
I bought
a new Ruger security six and after a day of training and qualifying I could barely pull the trigger double action
I finally installed a Wolfe reduced power spring and that made things better.
Actually I rarely used the double action in normal training, with a two hand grip I'd cock the gun with my off thumb and squeeze with the right single action, very fast and better accuracy, but not as much room for error compared to straight double action.
Even after all this time, I've come to the conclusion, for me, that I still prefer a revolver even with the limitations they have.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A few months ago I had the chance to shoot a WW2 double action only Enfield revolver, I was surprised how light the trigger pull was.
I always thought it a stupid move making the Enfield D/A only but the one I was lucky enough to try was fine and quite accurate for what it was.
I'm NOT suggesting that old ladies should buy war surplus Enfield's but it would work better than something they can't operate.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It is definitely true that there are lots of individuals out there who:

are FAR less strong in terms of hand-strength than 'we' are,
are FAR less able to master even a simple 'manual of arms' than 'we' are,
are FAR less motivated (or able) to do hand-strengthening exercises than 'we' are,
are FAR less motivated to do firearms training than 'we' are, and
are FAR less willing to spend money on a better firearm than 'we' are.

But - are they less deserving of help to find SOME way to reduce their risk of assault or murder than 'we' are...???

Yes, I'm willing, like most of us here, to carry a full-size handgun that weighs over three pounds loaded, and train with it, and so on. I have strong hands. I actually like a bit of recoil and noise. If the caliber doesn't start with a '4' or even a '5', I wonder if it is a serious handgun cartridge.

But the 95-pound, 20 year old college kid who has been raped, and never held a gun until recently, isn't, and the frail elderly lady who can barely open the bottle of her arthritis medicine and remember when to take it, isn't, and the 50 year old guy with Parkinsonism and weakness from a stoke is more preoccupied with finding out where the handicapped bathroom is so he can avoid soiling himself than he is learning how to operate a semiauto that 'we' would call 'simple'.

If 'we' are going to reach the 'non-gun' people in this world, we really have to look at things from THEIR perspective.

If I carry a revolver for CCW, it will either be a NAA 22 WMR because all I've got on is running-shorts, or my Redhawk 45 Colt with 'bear loads' because I'm in bear-country; otherwise it's going to likely be a 15-shot 1911 in 45 ACP, but that is simply NOT a choice many other people are able to make. They are going to either carry a simple 5-shot 38 Special revolver, or nothing - after all, it was good enough for many cops for several decades....!

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:31 pm... probably the lightest trigger pull was on the Ruger LCR series.
I, too, find the LCR has the lightest DA pull. A range in the next city over has one, with many rounds through it, and the DA trigger is incredible. Even new ones are smooth.

That said, I've come across older K frames which have had a trigger job, and these have a more satisfying trigger. I can't quite put my finger on it, so to speak, but they just feel right.