S&W 317 Air lite 22 ** Update ** #2

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

S&W 317 Air lite 22 ** Update ** #2

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What is your honest opinion of these pistols. Theres one at the shop, its got the 2" or so barrel. Guy wants $400, i was thinking $300. Its fun to shoot, but are they meant to be carried alot and shot little? I just noticed Ruger brought out a LCRx 3" adj. sight in 357 Mag that weighs 21ozs,so that throws a wrench into things. todd/3leg
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
argie1891
Levergunner

Re: S&W 317 Air lite 22

Post by argie1891 »

When I read that smith and Wesson was coming out with the model 317 I knew I was going to buy the first one I saw. I bought serial number lgt067x and must admit I paid more than the $400 your shop is asking. your question is will it hold up to 1500 rounds answer yes and many times that number. I carry this little 22 as my summer time carry pistol. the 9.9 oz weight fits in my pocket and the 8 shot cylinder gives me some comfort. it is my belief that a carry gun should be shot often and I shoot my carry guns every time I go to the range. I dont make it to the range every week because of weather and health problems. but I shoot it at least 30 times a year and am happy to say it is a real keeper. the trigger pull and hammer cocking spring is flat hard. I was told that S&W knew that this revolver was going to be carried for self protection and wanted to assure that the 22 shells would fire every time. they made the springs a bit more powerful than needed. I have no real idea how many rounds I have put down the 2 inch tube but it has to be several thousand. It isnt a target revolver but I practice and know I can hit a head size target at 15 yards every time I pull the trigger. Many will say a 22 isnt big enough but my answer is a 22 in the pocket beats a 45 left in the car or at home because it is too heavy or big. again a 22 beats saying Please dont hurt me. hope this helps you make a decision on your purchase argie1891 aka joe g.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Right when they first came out, I bought one as my first EDC. Very, very heavy double action pull. Excellent single action pull. For me, un-cocking it is a real bit*h because of the stubby little hammer and the Gawd-awful heavy spring, so I only practice shooting double action with it. At close SD range, if you're careful, you can rip off all the rounds in a couple seconds into a torso-sized target.
Plinking is ok if I'm sure I'm going to fire it once it's cocked. It's very, very light, something like <14oz fully loaded. It's an aquired taste, so try to shoot if first. They also made/make a Lady's model with a full sized hammer. I keep meaning to see if one would retro fit on mine.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've got one. Love it. Weighs nothing.
$400 is cheap. Those are over $700 new.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

"$400 is cheap. Those are over $700 new."

You ain't gonna get it for $300. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

About 15 years ago, I bought a similar Model 351PD in .22Mag when they were 1st introduced, paying $325 OTD @ a local funshop.

When I found out how high the demand for one was, about 10mos later - I flipped it in a New York Minute @ a funshow for $450.

The flip didn't involve a lot of remorse in me, as I already had a 1970's 3" Charter Pathfinder in .22Mag.

IMHO, a M-317 in excellent condition is well worth $400, these days.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Thanks all. I've put 56 rounds thru it all ready, helped clean it up. Its pretty scratched up and screws are buggered some. Guy who had is a billary fan. He took it apart or tried to, in the words of the 'smith he shouldnt be allowed to touch guns! :lol:

Blaine, the little stub hammer is more of an irritant than anything, knew their DA's were heavy but it stacks nice. I'm taking off to Texas for 3 weeks so if its still here when I git back i may grab otherwise it'll be a nice find for one their other customers.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Pete44ru wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:57 am .

About 15 years ago, I bought a similar Model 351PD in .22Mag when they were 1st introduced, paying $325 OTD @ a local funshop.

When I found out how high the demand for one was, about 10mos later - I flipped it in a New York Minute @ a funshow for $450.

The flip didn't involve a lot of remorse in me, as I already had a 1970's 3" Charter Pathfinder in .22Mag.

IMHO, a M-317 in excellent condition is well worth $400, these days.

I also went this route but will not let it go.
It is not the critic who counts
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Paladin wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:16 pm
Pete44ru wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:57 am .

I also went this route but will not let it go.
Speer specifically makes a 22mag Gold Dot, for short barreled handguns. https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/amm ... s=22%20WMR
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You might try a spring kit in it. Most of them come with several different weights of springs so you can see how light you want to go.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

[/quote]

Speer specifically makes a 22mag Gold Dot, for short barreled handguns. https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/amm ... s=22%20WMR
[/quote]
Good stuff it works well in the Keltec PMR-30 and the S&W.
It is not the critic who counts
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Anyone try shotshells out of the 317? Might be nice to carry one loaded with them for ventilating snakes.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

kaschi wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:52 pm Anyone try shotshells out of the 317? Might be nice to carry one loaded with them for ventilating snakes.
Mine is usually loaded with 4 shotshells and 4 HP. But I use the shotshells on rodents. I don't like getting that close to snakes. :shock:
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Yeah, I'm with you on that Vance! They give me the creeps even from 40 feet away.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Rat shot from a .22 is pretty short range. 10 or 12 feet at best. I like a 16 gauge at 3 feet for a snake. I know that 16 isn't just going to make it mad!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Just my opinion, but comparing a short barreled 22lr to a short barreled 357 mag is apples and oranges comparison but honestly I would take the 357 given that choice. I can shoot handloaded 38 spl almost as inexpensively as I can 22lr (as 'almost' is a pretty stretchable term) and I would have the capacity to shoot something more powerful should the need arise.

I just see the LCR in your situation as being more versatile.

However I would also say reasonable priced S&W 317 are rarely encountered while the LCR is easily acquired …… so knowing my own impulses I might opt to go against my own advice and buy the 317 now and start saving to order the LCR later.

Wm.

P.S. Yeah I know …… it is like an addiction. It makes no sense but it feels right.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I found an early Ruger Service Six with 2 3/4" barrel in 38 Special for a decent price, so the Ait lite is no longer in my thoughts. Todd/3leg

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W 317 Air lite 22 ** Update **

Post by 2ndovc »

Todd,

Betting you will like that Service Six. I picked up a 2 3/4" Speed Six last year when I broke my left arm and couldn't pull the slide back on any of my autos for six weeks while I was in a cast. It's turned out to be one of my all time favorite sixguns. Very smooth and super accurate. Planning on picking up a few more of those '70s and '80s Rugers.
I also picked up the S&W Airweight .38spl at the same time for something a little lighter to pocket carry in my cargo shorts, but I found myself packin' the .357 a whole lot more.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W 317 Air lite 22 ** Update **

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Jason, i forgot you had one, yours is in better shape. But it was no brainer to buy it. Now to to get home and pop off a few of the rounds i have loaded up on it. Nice part is i dont have to worry about separating loads for it or keeping +P's away from it. Todd

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W 317 Air lite 22 ** Update ** #2

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Well i was displaying the Service Six at a gunshow and thought i had a ridiculous price on it because i didnt want to sell it. Wanna know what happened? :cry: I even told the guy i really didnt want to sell it and that is why the price was so high. So my quest goes on. I did get a Ruger MKII with 4" barrel to sorta pacify me for awhile. Todd/3leg

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:50 pm Well i was displaying the Service Six at a gunshow and thought i had a ridiculous price on it because i didnt want to sell it. Wanna know what happened? :cry: I even told the guy i really didnt want to sell it and that is why the price was so high. So my quest goes on. I did get a Ruger MKII with 4" barrel to sorta pacify me for awhile. Todd/3leg
:lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have not said anything so far because I don't have anything by Smith&Wesson. My only advice is to buy it and shoot it. If you like it, keep it. If not, sell it for what you paid or even a little more. We are enablers here. I am saving for a .357 Mag levergun. Anyone want to try to talk me out of it?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

piller wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:53 pm I have not said anything so far because I don't have anything by Smith&Wesson. My only advice is to buy it and shoot it. If you like it, keep it. If not, sell it for what you paid or even a little more. We are enablers here. I am saving for a .357 Mag levergun. Anyone want to try to talk me out of it?
I'm not brave enough to try.
Okay, brave might not be the right word, but you get the idea.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Piller, hard part is trying to decide between stainles or blued, 16" versus 20" round, or 24" octagon. I have a blued 20" round snd its purty darn handy. Was a 24" blued octagon at show, but luckily it got sold before i really thought about it.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

piller wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:53 pm I have not said anything so far because I don't have anything by Smith&Wesson. My only advice is to buy it and shoot it. If you like it, keep it. If not, sell it for what you paid or even a little more. We are enablers here. I am saving for a .357 Mag levergun. Anyone want to try to talk me out of it?
Why would anyone try to talk you out of it? :D

This one's turned out pretty nice.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Rusty wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:15 pm You might try a spring kit in it. Most of them come with several different weights of springs so you can see how light you want to go.
Just for the record, IF a spring kit is installed and IF you carry it and IF you have need to use it the prosecution is going to tell the jury the YOU premeditated the shooting by making the nasty evil gun EASIER to use... Ya always gotta think of the lawyers getting their grubby fingers into ya!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:13 am
Rusty wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:15 pm You might try a spring kit in it. Most of them come with several different weights of springs so you can see how light you want to go.
Just for the record, IF a spring kit is installed and IF you carry it and IF you have need to use it the prosecution is going to tell the jury the YOU premeditated the shooting by making the nasty evil gun EASIER to use... Ya always gotta think of the lawyers getting their grubby fingers into ya!
If you're talking about the 317 AirLite, I went with different springs and only got misfires for my efforts. The fireing pin on those are round, nearly blunt, and seem to need herculean strength to dent the primer. DamDust thing I ever saw.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Spring kit in ANY carry gun! Or any modification of any gun to make its use easier the lawyers will have a field day at your expense... just saying for CYA sake.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:25 pm Spring kit in ANY carry gun! Or any modification of any gun to make its use easier the lawyers will have a field day at your expense... just saying for CYA sake.
:roll: I'm not seeing where I disagreed with you....Merely commented on my experience with different springs on a 317....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Gotcha, just trying to clarify for the others.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!