Lee Carbide dies 357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Lee Carbide dies 357

Post by mickbr »

I've only used regular steel dies for my 357 (lee 3 die set) and was looking to get the 4 die carbide set. Do these really work without lube? Anyones life improved switching to these? I dont load huge volumes but up for making the job easier if its worthwhile.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Lee Carbide dies 357

Post by GunnyMack »

No lube needed with carbide, they do speed up the process.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

The carbide type of dies definitely make reloading straight wall cases easier. I started with a Lee Loader in 38 spl but the fact that it only neck sizes and also requires lube lead me to invest in a Lee Speed Die way back when. That made things much easier. Going to the four die set with a separate seating and crimping die makes for an easier life no doubt.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Get 'em. I cant imagine having to lube a bunch of pistol cases now.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jnyork wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:44 am Get 'em. I cant imagine having to lube a bunch of pistol cases now.
Ditto.

I started with a lee loader as well and progressed to regular dies then to carbide dies. The carbide dies are more than worth the added cost. They make loading pistol ammo soooooo much easier.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have carbide dies for the pistol cartridges I load for. It is only 6 calibers, but I started with a die set that had to be lubed. After I found a carbide die set for that original caliber, .480 Ruger, there hasn't been anything but carbide dies in my posession for pistol calibers. They save time. After tumbling the brass, wash it and resize and deprime it without need for lube. No need to wash it again to remove the lube. I have never had a carbide die get stuck. I have had non carbide dies get stuck.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

My quality of life was greatly improved over 50 years ago with the addition of a Herter's carbide die. I wore that one out (did you know you could even do that?) and have used a Hornady for the last 20 years or so. Can't imagine life without my carbide (or titanium nitride in Hornady's case) size dies for anything straight-wall.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Never used anything but carbide, since switching from my Lee Loader (mallet-type). Mostly for 44 Mag.

Also checkout the Lee "rifle-type" factory crimp dies - they are great versus the roll-crimpers IMHO.

Note they are a special-order item if the cartridge is a "pistol" one, so the 44 Mag ('pistol') FCD is different than the 44-40 ('rifle') FCD.

I am not a big fan of the 'pistol' type ones, but ordered a set of 'rifle' ones for 357 Mag, 44 Mag, and 45 Colt a few years ago. $25 each I think.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

You can buy the carbide sizing die alone, to upgrade your set. https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-prec ... sizing-die
Last edited by 765x53 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Yep, carbide sizing dies are easier to use and lubing is not necessary. But, with some presses with low leverage and maybe some "fat" cases, lube won't hurt anything. Sometimes when I'm sizing on my old Pacific "C" press I'll lube mebbe one out of five or six cases lightly and that does make sizing even easier, especially 44 Magnum brass...

FWIW, all my Lee Loaders full length size straight walled cases; 38/357, 44 Sp./44 Mag, 45 Colt. My bottle necked Lee Loaders neck size; .223, 30-06. 7.63x54r and 303 British...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

jnyork wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:44 am Get 'em. I cant imagine having to lube a bunch of pistol cases now.

What he said.

Wm
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I'm extra lazy and don't even properly clean my cases, just wipe them off. The carbide dies handle this fine. I've become so lazy I select chamberings based on whether I can get either a carbide or a Lee Collet die for it.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

KWK wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:11 pm I'm extra lazy and don't even properly clean my cases, just wipe them off. The carbide dies handle this fine. I've become so lazy I select chamberings based on whether I can get either a carbide or a Lee Collet die for it.
Mr. Lee himself, in his reloading book, mentions that his carbide dies work better with non-shiney brass.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I don't use lube normally, but if I'm doing a big batch of nickel cases I will because nickel is tougher than brass. It does make them slip through the die easier, so less strain on my arthritis.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thanks for that folks I am going to get them. Now as to what to do with my old set, sell or keep them as spares...
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Spares …… IMO you won't get enough for them to make it worthwhile selling them and having a back up is generally never a bad idea.

Wm
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

wm wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:12 am Spares …… IMO you won't get enough for them to make it worthwhile selling them and having a back up is generally never a bad idea.

Wm
^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Just buy the sizing die! And while you're at it buy the .357 Max version. It will work on .38 Spl, >357 Mag and Maximum if you ever decide to mess with that too.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

I've found that on the .30 Carbine too. Though I use a lanolin lube on every 4th or 5th one but I'm just on a single stage press or at best a Lee Turret.
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Carbide dies are great but.......I still give them a light spray...makes it much easier...don't even bother to wipe them off.

The downside of carbide....if your an accuracy nut, take measurements of the finished sized case. Some, especially the 45 Long Colt are worthless as they size them down too much and the loaded round will tilt in the chamber, causing the bullet to enter the rifling crooked...not much, but any amount is too much. Some single actions are chambered "fat" and carbide dies will make a little problem worse. Your call---6
Model A Uzi’s
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Mr. Lee himself, in his reloading book, mentions that his carbide dies work better with non-shiney brass.
And they'll be shinier once they go through the carbide die! 8)

I use carbide dies in all of my pistol and revolver calibers with no trouble.
No lube needed. Clean cases help.

-Stretch
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I use Lee Precision carbide dies for all my straight-walled handgun reloading. They work great! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

'Extra' dies can be useful if you have them adjusted for a bullet that you use less often, at least the seating and/or crimping ones. A whole 'set' installed on a turret insert or equivalent can make 'adjusting the dies' a mostly one-time chore; instead you just switch turret inserts, and you're already-adjusted dies are ready to go.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "