Rifle for AL hogs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Rifle for AL hogs

Post by ethang »

My SIL is doing his best to set up a hog hunt when I come down next month for a visit. His host is recommending an AR15, which is what my SIL wants to use.. of course I am trying to decide between my open sight pre-64 and my recently equipped with a vintage peep sight, post 94(Thanks Sixgun). My other option is my favorite Rossi 92 in 357 magnum loaded with hot Lil'Gun 158 grain soft point loads... decisions, decisions...

I have no idea at all what kind of terrain this will be, just don't really care to use my AR...
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Rifle for AL hogs

Post by wm »

Both? Use one in the morning and the other in the afternoon?

Wm
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Either of the lever actions will do. do not use hollow point ammo.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

.357 with hardcast 180s?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Hogs are not bulletproof. Hit them in the heart or lungs and they die. May run a bit, but they die.
Softpoint ammo like Core-Lokt will work, but penetration works better. Partitions, A-frame, monoliths work great.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't have nearly as much experience as many others on this forum, but I have not had a flat point or soft point fail to reach vitals on a hog. I have not used a .357 on a hog, but a .44 has done the job easily for me. .30-30 has worked well, as has my .35 Remington caliber Marlin.
Lots of .357 Magnum carbines have taken hogs. A heavy soft point or heavy hard cast bullet should do quite well.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy Ethan....remember this about hunting or competing.....go with the gun that strikes your fancy..... .....the one that's an extension of you....as long as the gun is up to the task , never compromise.

In the end, you will be much happier.....------6
Model A Uzi’s
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

What ever you are confident shooting will work. When I was a lot younger I shot quite a few eating sized wild pigs(50-125lbs) with a 10-22 and cci Stingers. Wouldn't do that on a big boar or sow unless in a trap. 30-30, 41 mag, 44 mag,223, 300 BO, 6.5x55,45/70, 50 cal muzzle loader with patched round ball and 300 grain xtp have all worked well for me on hogs up to 300 pounds. And an AR with 30 rounds can be a lot of fun when you have a big bunch of pigs in a field and the end game is to kill as many as you can(which is what most of the place I hunt them are after)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

An AR in .223 can be devastating with some good quality heavy bullets. Partitions from a .223 will preform as well as an old school .30-06.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

We like tales of the hunt here....so please take lots of pictures; and follow with details of the shenanigans!

:wink:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh heck take em all! Leave them in the truck and grab whichever suits the situation best.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Post by Scruffy49 »

Which do you shoot best? Which do you prefer shooting?

I’ve killed several with a longbow on the MS coast. Killed a few with a .44spl and cowboy action factory loads. Killed a few with a Ruger Old Army cap and ball .45 loaded hot, has deep chambers from the previous owner, .457 round ball over 60gr equivalent of Fffg.

Bought a box fed bolt action .308 just for coyotes, hogs and deer in the commodity crop fields around here. Sighted in at 250 meters with 145gr fmj. At 100yds a 180gr softpoint Winchester goes through and through. That gun is actually going away, nice barrel and action, decent scope, modern plastic stock. Hate shooting it, swear I can feel the stock twist every shot.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:32 am Howdy Ethan....remember this about hunting or competing.....go with the gun that strikes your fancy..... .....the one that's an extension of you....as long as the gun is up to the task , never compromise.

In the end, you will be much happier.....------6
+1
It is not the critic who counts
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I'd consider whether I was hunting from a stand or blind, still hunting, or doing a walk and stalk. Some guns are not fun to carry for hours on end.

Will you have have a rest or be able to take your time aiming a well-placed shot or will you be shooting at an animal on the run inside a 3-second window? Are you shooting at 25 yards or 100?

Me, I hate chasing wounded animals. It's not hard to kill a pig, but it's easier if you take the right tool for the job.

When I'm not sure about the environment I take more than one firearm and then make the decision on which one fits best once I've laid eyes on the field.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Lots of great responses. Thanks for the advice. I have the most time and training on an AR and would be very confident with it and my duty loads, I like the 357 the best and in the best words of Judge Smails, am no slouch with it. The 30/30, I have the least time actually shooting it, but it is kinda ideally outfitted with that peep.

I have no idea what the terrain or the hunting will be like. All are going with me and maybe the pigs will be running and I can get a crack with all three.
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

I am with 6gun. That what you shoot te best.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I like the 357 the best and in the best words of Judge Smails, am no slouch with it.
That sounds like the answer to me. If you like it and you are good with it I'd use it.
I doubt the pig's been born that could walk away from a 357 round loaded right and fired from the right distance into the vitals. Depends on the size of the pig, but if it's going to be a big one I'd opt for a 180 gr soft point factory load, or a 180 cast rnfp and a load of Win 296. That sort of load out of a 20" barrel would still be doing over 1200 fps at 150 yds and would not be more than 3" above or below line of sight at that distance if sighted at 130 yds.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

My favorite wild hog rifle is a Mossberg 464 in 30-30 shooting 170 grain core-lokt ammo. No problems with penetration.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!