Wish me luck...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Wish me luck...

Post by Scruffy49 »

Reassembled the 20” Canadian Centennial src last night. Taking it outside to test its functionality. Have a couple old enough they turned black 170gr Power Point as my testers. If they will feed and eject smoothly I’ll start tumbling my empty casings and loading for this weekend’s shoot.

Was loaned a case tumbler and loading press. Bought a box of .313 180gr surplus round nose lead bullets with concave bases, cost me $2.50 at a yard sale. Have a can of 777 Ffg, no modern powders. Will load by volume using grits to take up any extra space.

Just a for fun outing. Expecting low scores, have not fired this gun since 2013. Needs a better rear sight. Midway has the one I want, have to wait for pay day.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Wish me luck...

Post by Blaine »

Sounds like a good day coming up...Keep us posted. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Post by Scruffy49 »

It functions better than it ever has. First shell was cocked in the magazine tube, took a second working of the lever to get it to feed. Second round fed like green grass through a goose.

Somehow I changed the trigger pull, much lighter than before. All I did was spray out the works with brake cleaner and Pb’laster...?

Missed a 5 gallon bucket from 75 feet, so... THAT hasn’t changed... yet. Nothing a Marbles rear to match the Marbles .410 brass bead front and some properly fitting bullets won’t fix.
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Post by Scruffy49 »

Loaded ONE blackpowder 180gr lrn.
Loaded it into the magazine. Worked the lever. Ejected the round without firing it. All functions normal, except for one... it cut a groove into the bullet. Have never cycled out a grooved modern jfn. Scratched yes. Empties with deformed case mouths, yes.

Who makes decent M94 octagon barrels? Ready to run. If it is cutting bullets, it is going in the scrap bin.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Green Mountain has levergun barrels but not sure of caliber offerings.

What exactly do you mean by cutting the bullet? Is it a feed ramp issue or from chamber?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Post by Scruffy49 »

Lead looks like someone set a cold chisel on it and gave it a tap. Has always ejected empty cases with a bit of a burr at the mouth.

Slugging the barrel shows it was rifled way too deep for a standard .308/.309 jacketed bullet. .3135 grooves. Unfired brass has no wiggle room in the chamber, fired brass has a mouth burr. I may try lapping it with a dummy round and some valve grinding compound. At this point, shouldn’t hurt anything...
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Post by Scruffy49 »

Guess I’ll be taking the eastern style round barrel shotgun butt to the shoot instead. Gotta pull the scope back off.

Probably the sling too... magazine mounted at the front, secured under the steel butt plate at the rear. Made it out of an old belt, perfect single wrap length.
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Post by Scruffy49 »

SRC is at the gun doctor. He’s going to pull the barrel and run a reamer through the chamber, see if it smooths it out. Took him the unfired lead dummy round and a couple fired cases so he could see what it has been doing. He’s also going to sonic clean the bore, again.

I hope this fixes its hiccups. Really can’t afford to rebarrel it right now. He worked out a trade on the current round of repairs, pair of holsters for his SAA clones. I can make a period correct Mexican loop holster in an hour and a half.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

Scruffy49 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:04 am SRC is at the gun doctor. He’s going to pull the barrel and run a reamer through the chamber, see if it smooths it out. Took him the unfired lead dummy round and a couple fired cases so he could see what it has been doing. He’s also going to sonic clean the bore, again.

I hope this fixes its hiccups. Really can’t afford to rebarrel it right now. He worked out a trade on the current round of repairs, pair of holsters for his SAA clones. I can make a period correct Mexican loop holster in an hour and a half.
These are the kind of deals i like to make, barter system.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Post by Scruffy49 »

Chamber is fixed. Rifle is still in the shop, he’s working up a proper load for the odd rifling depth.

So far a Lyman 311041 mold is giving tolerable results. Trying different alloys, so... He’s basically tailoring micro-groove Marlin bullets for normal barrels. Takes what it takes.

Cold rainy day. Shoot got cancelled. Big difference between TN and where I grew up in the Puget Sound Basin. I’m used to hunting in the rain out there, riding motorcycles in the rain, using tire chains (not legal here)... So be it. My backyard is 40+ wooded acres, can just shoot at home instead
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

.3135 groove diameter? That's like putting undersized pistons in an engine. Sure, you could load .314 bullets but the chamber mouth won't accept it..("most likely" won't accept it) and the cost of a gunsmith opening up the chamber would be the same as a replacement barrel which is a job you can do yourself.

Besides, any barrel that has that large of a groove diameter was most likely done by a drunk guy on a Monday morning so there's probably other things that are bad with the barrel. Trash it,,,,I see them all the time for $50, maybe 75 for an octagon. Even a ditch digger can come up with that much money.

Saw a whole table full of barrels at the show yesterday selling at the price tomato stakes go for.---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You said the chamber is fixed, what exactly was the issue?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Post by Scruffy49 »

Rough patch where the chamber becomes the bore. Ran a reamer in and it came out with chips on it.

If I order a barrel or get a gunshow one, it will be a 24-28”. Which will then need a full sized rifle forearm and buttstock. The length of pull on a carbine is already too short. I’d rather custom load for this barrel than toss basically everything but the receiver and build a new custom gun. Only reason it hasn’t been cut up and recycled is the fact it was a gift from my favorite uncle.

If my 1876 Winchester or Trapdoor Sringfield ever turns up at my folks’ place in WA, the scr is getting hung over the mantle with the caplock double barrel 12 gauge.
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Post by Scruffy49 »

It is fixed. Chamber cleaned up. Rounds tailored. From a bench it is hitting 1-1.5” groups at 150 yards. The new loading seats a .314 lead round nose for one in chamber one in mag tube loading, lead flat nose for standard one in chamber full mag tube loading. Bullet weights of 180-190 grains. Loaded into fire formed brass, full case of Ffg for “show” loads, playing with 3031 charge sizes to see if the grouping will tighten up.

Gunsmith did say that the dirtier the bore got, the better it shot. Gonna let him keep playing with it for awhile. Still have to put a better rear sight on it as well.

Oh, anybody know a good source for revolver barrel liners? My .44wcf SAA clone has a bore smoother than a newborn’s backside...
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Check with VTI for a new barrel for the 44-40. Prob'ly the cheapest way to go. Or watch ebay for used barrels for whatever variety of clone you have.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Scruffy49
Levergunner

Post by Scruffy49 »

It’s back home. Still have to order a new rear sight.

Bench fired group, single loaded, down to 3/4” at 150 yards. Side mounted scope used during load development. Shot off a front cradle bolted to the bench.

Offhand, magazine fed, group average is 1.25” for 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

185gr lrn, case of Ffg rang the gong at 200 yards, every shot, full box. Lots of smoke if I take it to a side match for fun. I’ll use the 1965 round barrel for hunting, it eats any factory load just fine, and is a tack driver for a factory 94.

Oh, the SAA clone is officially retired. 103 years on Basque parts is sufficient and then some. It can be my holster fitting dummy and grip scale test mule. Exact grip size/shape as every LGS “cowboy big bore” locally