Things I'm noticing about my handi-rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Things I'm noticing about my handi-rifle

Post by Jason_W »

It technically has a lever, so it's not off topic :lol:

I've been working mostly with the .223 barrel so far and it groups reasonably well with the occasional flyer. Accuracy goes way downhill if the barrel heats up even slightly. So far it likes 55 grain bullets more than 62 grains (I'm betting that 30-45 grain bullets will group even better). Also, it vibrates like crazy when fired. Maybe a barrel de-resonater would be useful.

Overall, though, it's a good rifle for not a lot of money. It's consistently minute of soda bottle at about 130 yards, which is fine for me.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Vibrates? I'm having trouble imagining that. Do you actually feel the vibrations through the stock?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Hobie wrote:Vibrates? I'm having trouble imagining that. Do you actually feel the vibrations through the stock?
Through the forend, yes.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Jason,

Which 223 is it.
Super light, ultra, varmint. The super light heats quickly.
I would remove the the for-end and try shooting without it. The way the screw is tightened to the hanger nut is often a problem. Usually adding an O ring will fix it.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

WCF3030 wrote:Jason,

Which 223 is it.
I would remove the the for-end and try shooting without it. The way the screw is tightened to the hanger nut is often a problem. Usually adding an O ring will fix it.
It's just the basic handi rifle.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Jason_W wrote:

Which 223 is it.
Try removing the forend. If the groups tighten, then try a O-ring and a "snug" fit with the screw.
H&R rifles are very good bargin firearms but they do sometimes have there quirks.

Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

WCF3030 wrote:
Jason_W wrote:

Which 223 is it.
Try removing the forend. If the groups tighten, then try a O-ring and a "snug" fit with the screw.
H&R rifles are very good bargin firearms but they do sometimes have there quirks.
Will any old O-ring work, or does it need a certain thickness?
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Jason_W wrote:
WCF3030 wrote:
Jason_W wrote:

Which 223 is it.
Will any old O-ring work, or does it need a certain thickness?
The "standard" hardware o-ring will work. I took the screw with me off my 223 Ultra to match the id size. If I had to guess at thickness it would be around .050 of an inch.
What this dose is gives a more uniformed consistent fit from forearm to hanger nut. Also a little more space between metal and wood.

WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Here is a link that can explaine it better then I can.
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums//index.php ... 904.0.html

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I have a .223 Handi I just bought but haven't had much of a chance to wring it out yet. I fired 20 rounds through the iron sights. I bought the youth synthetic and find I can't get down low enough on the stock to see the sights. I have a scope rail on it's way now from H&R. It might be here today.

I wanted just a lightweight walking around type rifle but it seems this isn't going to be quite the setup I was looking for. I ordered the superlight barrel in hopes that it might come with the 1:9 barrel looks like that didn't happen either. I'm having trouble measuring the twist.
I do have a mould on the way. a special Lee mould that Mid South sells called a Bator. It's a 55 gr. GC with a .100 metplat or so it's said.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I've gotten excellent groups from my H&R Ultra 223 with 24.5 gr. of AA2460 under the 50gr. Sierra Blitz King.

I have noticed that it can be somewhat inconsistent but my smallest groups have been around 1/4" with that load.
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Handis all have there quirks .They are disigned to be utilitarian pieces and not the best money can buy. ALL can be im proved on with out much trouble .
When bench shooting make sure the gun it rested on the receiver area NOT THE FORE ARM it will shoot much better groups that way . MOST of the light weight or regular barrels do heat up fast , and cause vertical stringing .
SHoot the gun with out the forearm for a few shots with factory ammo then shoot the same ammo with the forearm attached USUALLY if its the forearm affecting the barrel it will show here and that is when the O ring will help . Factory ammo will sho w this instead of possibly a relaod that is not well suited for that gun and is a great base line . O Ring is only one of the many ways to hlep. I free float all my fore ends with my Handis and Use O rings as a matter of course with all fore ends .
The guns are usualy designed with twist rates made to use the lighter bullets to keep oressures down in that action . All I have read about or owned shot much better with lighter weight bullets per cal, than any other firearm in the same cal .
MY 223 ( regular handi barel ) shoots the 50 Grain Hornady SP with 26.5 grains of Varget in to .75 inches at 100 Yards regulary . It will shoot the 45 Grain bullets into the same type of group also, BUT as soon as I go to the 55 or over bullets they go all over the place. MINE is one of the 1 in 12 barrels but SOME of the newer ones are 1in 9 . YOu have to check your gun to see . ONes I have read of in 1 in 9 shoot the 62/63 grainers quite well .
I am experimenting now with the 125/ 130 grain bullets in my 30-30 Handi Barrel cause I can't get adequate accuracy in the 150s ( either spire point,round nose, or flat nose) or 165 bullets. I have heard GREAT things in the handis about the 130 Speer bullets so IM going there.
Hope this helps
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Thanks for the tips, all.

Much appreciated.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I seem to remenber reading on greybeards I think about making a better fit of the forearm wood to the hinging iron (or is it plastic?) having alot to do with group improving.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

It seems like I read that the rate of twist on the .223 Handi favors the lighter bullets. No first hand knowledge here, however.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

The hinge block is plastic.