Animal Cruelty

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Animal Cruelty

Post by AJMD429 »

Some neighbors got reported for 'animal cruelty' because their dog was left outside :o in the cold (it is running 10 below zero)......

The animal had access to non-frozen water, food, and a straw-lined farrowing hut, and it is a Great Pyrenees, that lives with, and protects, their goats from feral dogs and coyotes.... :roll:

When we had that breed, they would leave the barn when it was sleeting to go lay in the driveway and enjoy the freezing rain.

Too many busybodies, and too many urban folks who are clueless about rural life, but want to tell us (at police gunpoint if necessary) how to live our lives.... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Re: Animal Cruelty

Post by JimT »

Our Great Pyrenees would sleep in a snowbank and the chickens and ducks would snuggle up against him and stay warm.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Too many cretinous fecal encephalii who refuse to see that a dog is not a human child. The animal shelters around here would rather put a dog down than adopt it to a family who would keep it outdoors with a good doghouse, water, food, and a purpose so that the dog doesn't go insane from boredom.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm one who believes animals need to be protected as they don't have a voice to cry out....they do need to be protected...against abuse. ......in that case, it's not abuse.The dog is accustomed to and is "built" for cold weather. It had a nice shelter with food and water. The dog is fine.

You want to see abuse? Theres many subhuman "people" in Philly who are routinely arrested with their dogs on a chain, no dog house...no water...no food.....half the time dead by the time the authorities are brought in. These same people also routinely steal good peoples dogs from their yard and cars and sell them on Craigslist or use them in dog fighting rings. These are the bastards who need to be brought to justice.

One time 25 years ago, relatives of my wife called the ASPA to say our anaimls were living in squalor.....they came over unannounced with the accusation and I pleasantly invited them in...led them around the house, showed them the 1/2 acre of our 4+ acres fenced in...just for the dogs...the TWO doggie doors that let the dogs come in and go out whenever they want.....air conditioning in the summer and 75 degrees in the winter.....big bowls of food, water, doggie beds ...always at hand ...clean environment....the SPA were astounded, saying, "Mr.C...we are so sorry...your dogs and horses live better than most people and you did not know we were coming. I said, "Yes Ma'am, they always have and always will. Now, you go back and tell those "rats" they have some explaining to do to you.". Never heard another word.

People wonder why I strongly dislike most people and really have built a compound here. Never could understand how some people are allowed to breathe the same air as normal people. --6

There's always "people" who just love to cause trouble in other people's lives when the only thing my family wants to do is live peaceful lives.
Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Sadly here the animal control folks are all about revenue accumulation. Two recent incidents the first involving a rabid raccoon and the more recent one in which an officer spent days trying to locate pet owners who hadn’t licensed their pets have proven this.

In the first i contacted them and it took threats of shooting it myself to get them out. The inexperienced woman they sent out needed help to catch it. All the while saying it was distemper.

In the second, the officer spent four days in my area. The darned fool didn’t even know that across the street is an incorporated city and not in his jurisdiction.

I’M sure there a good folks that work for animal control. But, most seem to be ones more interested in getting paid to sit around and do nothing.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Getting ready for work, I just sat down with a coffee. My Neighbor has a Great Pyrenees too. when I got up at 4:30 AM and looked outside Bear (the Dog) was walking down their driveway and the cats were as usual walking under Him prolly to stay warm. It's 4* right now..... :lol: :lol: :lol: .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

A friend was greeted one day by SPCA, someone driving down the road saw his BEEF COWS laying in the mud, right next to the hay feeder. Well duh of course there is mud next to the feeder that where they stand, walk , poop and urinate!
SPCA told this guy to clean out the feeding area. So he got his dozer and pushed all that mud/stuff/ hay right out to the roadside to build a wall of pelosi that the neighbors now had to look at. He is a little spiteful but I can't say I blame him.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

We boarded "retired" horses for over 10 years , they had 10 acres of pasture, fresh water, heated water tanks, plenty hay, etc.There was never more than 4 of the lawn ornaments. They had open access to the barn but preferred to stay outside in some really horrible weather conditions.
We got calls from the humane society who had gotten complaints several times a year, "The horses are dead in the field" They were laying down sleeping, "Horses don't lay down", actually they do and enjoy a siesta in the sun. "it's snowing and the horses are outside", "Its hot and the horses are outside" on and on.

Finally the investigator would just call and ask if everything is ok.He got tired of the bull too.

Not sure how that would play out now with this latest batch of crazies, but our Vet at the time said, " Im coming here after I retire"

People suck
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

The world would be incrementally better if people would mind their own danged business.

I recognize that animal abuse is a problem and I realize that such things upset people. Life is rough.

That said, animals are property and IMO it's nobody's business any more than is some wanton hag who wants to kill her unborn kid.

Anyone who enters onto property not their own and sticks their nose where it doesn't belong should be cracked on the gourd with a shovel.

Whatever.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

FWiedner wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:14 am The world would be incrementally better if people would mind their own danged business.

I recognize that animal abuse is a problem and I realize that such things upset people. Life is rough.

That said, animals are property and IMO it's nobody's business any more than is some wanton hag who wants to kill her unborn kid.

Anyone who enters onto property not their own and sticks their nose where it doesn't belong should be cracked on the gourd with a shovel.

Whatever.

:|
I say whacked on the nose with a rolled up NYT and the rub their nose in it! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am usually right there with you guys Buuuut in animal cruelty cases I hope that somebody speaks up for those animals that don’t have a voice(women and kids too).The first Mrs fordwannabe and I did work with retired and in lots of cases neglected thoroughbreds and a few dogs. I have seen and cared for horses that were less than half their normal body weight. I have seen horses with festering wounds because some azzwipe didn’t want them anymore. In my OPINION I would rather have animal control come out and look at me and my animals to be sure than let some lowlife *** neglect an animal that trust them and get away with it. I guess I am under the if you don’t have anything to hide come look theory. I am the first in line to kick a dipstick in the jewels for real abuse or neglect so don’t paint me a libtard pansy.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Do-gooders and people who see animals as human kids drive me crazy. One guy I knew his dog was terminally ill with some rare disorder. They said they could keep it alive for an extra couple weeks for a few hundred dollars a day if he so chose. And he did, $8k later it died, miserably in a worst state than it would have in the first place. There is a lot of strange behaviour out there these days, sometimes I wonder what planet I have stopped in at, and when the next shuttle out of here is.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

I grew up around sheep ranching. Pyrenees, Akbash and Anatolians are all breeds that hold a special place in my heart. They are great dogs, we had great dogs, but they are working dogs. The dogs are raised with the sheep pretty much from day one. They live with the sheep, out in the open---in the winter, in the wind, in the snow, in the rain and in the heat. The puppies are born in the same conditions. Yes, they get good food---why wouldn't they, they protect the sheep and do a great job. These dogs are rarely touched by humans, only for vet work generally and then they are sedated. The are not abused and I can assure you, the dog that was sleeping outside was not abused---these dogs love cold weather, the heat is much harder on them. And yes, we had pets that were not raised with the sheep---kids, and also me, can't resist a white little fluffy ball. The pets we had, preferred to sleep out side, if you let them in the house, they were restless, paced the floor and panted all night. They are very well insulated and built for the cold. Just an interesting insight on these dogs after spending over fifty years with them----in the summer, when it's hot, they eat very little---they do fend on their own a bit---mice, crickets, grass.....and in the winter they eat a ton---sometimes up to 25 cups of food per day. They are very happy outdoors, with the sheep, when it's zero, or ten below or twenty below or even colder---it's their life and they love it---lots of freedom, a purpose and good food----and I guess if you like sheep, good companions...HA!
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

We had border collies for many years, you could barely get them in the house as they didn't want to miss any possible excitement, they'd nestle down in some leaves and let the snow cover them., never the worse for wear and always ready for a new adventure.
Yes , there IS animal abuse, but it's pretty obvious, problem is people can't, and won't mind their own business because they know so much more then us peons.

Did I mention people suck?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have NEVER I repeat NEVER kept bird dogs (pointers or Setters) in the house. Now with that being said they all stayed in kennels with insulated houses and straw inside during the cold months . And never had any issue . At present my knothead Boykin stays in the house as does our Border Terrier but then we’ve never kept a Border outside . If and it’s a big IF , get another setter it’ll stay indoors as well . Mostly because we have coyotes around here occasionally and I don’t want any of mine out in a kennel alone with those B..A..S..T..A..R..D..S roaming around .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Interesting responses from knowledgeable people. We all know how to take care of animals and what their needs and wants are.

OK, soooooooo........ You would think that the people from the animal shelters would know this too .....so I need someone to explaine to me .....keep in mind my wife and I are "into" the animal world as are many aquaintances .........why these animal control people would go against better judgement and confiscate animals and turn the owner's world upside down on phone calls that have no merit? We have seen it...and experienced it....in my personal experience it was all and good because it was obvious the callers were causing trouble for me.....

We know people where the SPA showed up with a horse trailer and took their 🐴 horses without an inspection and made the owners prove otherwise....thousands of dollars later...

Where's the retribution?

They would not tell me who it was as I wanted to sue em for slander....---6
Model A Uzi’s
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Its negative 4 today, and I can't hardly keep my two dogs in (Golden -Doodles) because one wants to go out and eat snow and the other keeps falling a sleep in a sunny spot on the snow bank.

Some breeds are not meant to be outside much and other breeds thrive on it. That is just a fact of life.

My nephew had a St Bernard that suffered terribly in the summer heat and humidity but loved the winter. Leaving Toby the St Bernard out in the yard on a 90 degree/90% humidity day was cruel.

Wm
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Not saying leaving dogs outside is bad as long as they are cared for. Not saying there aren’t abuses of power by zealots in animal control. Am saying I have seen what people can do to an animal(and other people). I don’t think people on this forum would abuse animals, but others do and that jerks my chain in a big way. Animals aren’t people and I get that, remember I hunt, but starvation, freezing to death, dehydration is a whole nuther thing. Ain’t arguing. Ibthink we are pretty much on the same page as far as animals and zealots, just concerned , suffering is suffering, animal or persons.
I have seen Sixes animals and I don’t get treated that well at my own house. My kid got me a Chris Kyle foundation “sheep dog” shirt, said it reminded him of me, mostly gentle and fun loving but don’t mess with my sheep. I feel God made me a big dumb bastage to defend those who can’t defend themselves, least that’s what my Grandmother told me when she explained it to me.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I guess I'm guilty of animal cruelty- I make all 4 dogs sleep on 1 couch! :lol:
20181222_134819-800x600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

That right there makes me smile. I think you’re Safe Gunny.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Reckon I’m screw....ed, forced these two out in the snow to drop logs !
2AD520C2-9CBC-4C69-8E31-2DFDEE5E58AC.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well said Tom!!! I guess you could call us sheep dogs for animals too.

Gunny...your little buddies sure look comfy. Life don't get no better than that.....cold outside, our buddies inside, wish I could have three or four fingers of Tin ☕️ Cup.

Wind is probably 40 MPH....cooooolllldddd.....and look where near 40 year old Stonewall wants to be....outside! Look hard, right past the broken gate to the right.

Miss Spider Head relaxing on the pillow, looking outdoors.

Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I took Odie (standard poodle) and friend/her son up to White Pass last year. Dog and kid romped in 2 foot snow for over an hour in the cold. If it bothered the dog I couldn't tell. Had to brush the ice off him before letting him in the truck. BTW, a dog's temp is about 105, I think....a naturally warm animal.
Ya don't chain them outside with no good shelter and let their water freeze, but ya don't call the cops everytime you see a dog outside, either.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

100-101.5 is normal. But yes they are able to take cold better. Heck I knew a guy that would bring his horses into his shop to help warm it up, horses make lots of heat!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

gcs wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:14 pm We had border collies for many years, you could barely get them in the house as they didn't want to miss any possible excitement, they'd nestle down in some leaves and let the snow cover them., never the worse for wear and always ready for a new adventure.
Yes , there IS animal abuse, but it's pretty obvious, problem is people can't, and won't mind their own business because they know so much more then us peons.

Did I mention people suck?
This, our Aussie is outside right now by his choice and it is 3 degrees. Can't get him to stay inside. We played frisbee until I froze, he was not ready to quit. Is very uneasy inside most of the time unless it is 90 degrees and 100% humidity in the summer. The he is on the cool basement floor.

Don
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

His "Puppy Palace" out back is where he goes when we are at work. It is a 14' x 14' enclosure with a 7' x 7' Rubbermaid storage shed in it. Inside the shed is a doghouse with heated floor for the winter and heated waterbowl. If it is really cold there is a small heat lamp in the back corner.

Summer time he has a fan and large water bowl.

Don
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

There must still be one or two people in the animal protection racket with a couple of IQ points left between them, otherwise the real peanuts among them would be advocating the idea that we need to employ nannies for our pets when we go out.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It rarely gets cold enough here near Dallas for a dog to need much outdoors. A decent house and enough water and food is about enough. All the affection you can give them helps. Our 65 pound mixed breed loves it outdoors. He gets nervous inside. He has a huge shade tree to sit under in the Summer, and he likes to dig a little and get cool. Our Irish Terrier loves to be outside in any weather other than rain. Our Rat Terrier loves to go out and run, then come in and sleep.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

There's always those who think they're doing what's best for the animal without knowledge of the situation. And there are animal control people who know very little more than those who call them!
I tried like heck to get my Springer Spaniel to come inside when temps got into the teens here, as I felt she wasn't equipped for the cold. But she had a nice doghouse with a flap door that she could come and go through. A cedar bed inside, and with all that she would sleep on the ground in a bed she dug.
Used to frustrate me enough that I forced her to come in the house, where she sat at the door and whined to go out. I finally let her into the garage and made a bed for her. She didn't like that either, but at least I couldn't hear her whine there. Had to let her out during the day, and she was finally happy to be outside, regardless of cold, snow, or rain. She just loved the outdoors.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Almost invariable the people I've had troubles with concerning my dogs have been old bitties who had nothing else to entertain them. One of the first we had problems with would come around about 10 a.m. to the back fence and start raising cain if she couldn't see water in the dog dish, something she couldn't really see unless she jumped said fence.This was when I'd just started a career that required I work graveyard shifts to start. I could never find words simple enough to get through to her and the dog lacked nothing.Another would come down our driveway dragging her infant grandson along and bug our dogs ,we had told her many times not to do this not so much because of the dogs but because it was just plain rude. Eventually she pestered one of them point that it nipped at her and that was the end of that,then she told us we had a dangerous dog.I often wondered what became of the grandson as she had not a clue. There was never any weather to worry about at the time as we lived in both cases within a mile of the beach, 70 degrees was a warm day and 80 was almost unheard off.Now days our dogs are always with us,if we are outside so are they ,same if we are in.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:22 am
People wonder why I strongly dislike most people and really have built a compound here. Never could understand how some people are allowed to breathe the same air as normal people. --6

There's always "people" who just love to cause trouble in other people's lives when the only thing my family wants to do is live peaceful lives.
Jack, we really do need to meet over a meal some day. We are two peas in a pod. I am becoming less tolerant of the human filth that passes for our fellow "citizens" each and every day!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:30 pm Jack, we really do need to meet over a meal some day. We are two peas in a pod. I am becoming less tolerant of the human filth that passes for our fellow "citizens" each and every day!
Jay....I kick myself in the azz for not making a real go at it when you were up this way. I remember it was raining crazy, having to work forced overtime and was just plain 😩 miserable.

It took Griff three times coming up my way before we got together and we well enjoyed the day. Griff's a good dude and yes, we think alike.

People older than me tell me the world has always been this way and I'm just late finding this out. I dunno 'bout that. Growing up in the sixties I remember respect and we, as kids, had better observe it...especially anyone older than us. I 100% honestly believe people are reverting back to being savages where it's "every man for himself". Just look at the liberals....those idiots will fight in a flash and one day the right is going to teach them a lesson....
.and I hope I'm there for it.

My man, if you get within 100 miles of me...(I seldom drive more than that anymore :D ) you give me a call and I'll be there. Have a whole day to kill...we will do it right.----6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Same here.

Think of all the trouble we could get into if we were actually neighbors..... :twisted:

And I agree about the 'progressssssive' left; they are the embodiment of all the bad things they project into the conservative/libertarian/republican people, not the least of which is their smoldering rage and hatefulness, which boils over into violence every time they don't get their Partipitation Trophy, or every time you don't agree with their virtue-signaling through 'progressive' ideas that are so illogical, factually flawed, scientifically irrational, economically impossible, selfish, and childish.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Had a Chesapeak Bay Retriver.On a day like today sleet,freezing rain and snow he would lay outside of his shelter on his back and get covered with snow.Summer he was miserable unless we had him at the creek.His hair was so thick you could not see skin.Come summer he would shed a bushel basket full.I used to brush him with a leaf rake and he would love it.Wife would fill 2 liter bottles with water and freeze them for his summer chew toys.He would always want in in the summer to go on the concrete basement floor.For sure an outside working dog and best guard we ever had.Got old and fell and hurt hip.vet said your choice,5k to operate or 50 to put him down.
Chose the 50.Vet said good cause no promise on how well or how long the fix would hold up.Animals have no soul..
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Most vets seem to be pushing Med Insurance for pets....I refuse.
Vet tries to shame me: What are ya gonna do if he gets cancer? Me: I'm really going to miss him a lot.
Not sure about other places, but if a guy put his own animal down, they could arrest him and might even to to jail. :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:22 pm Not sure about other places, but if a guy put his own animal down, they could arrest him and might even to to jail. :roll:
Yep. But the physical pain of being moved (at least in our case with one of our dogs) and the stress of a new place, other dog smells, a stranger (veterinarian) and a needle, no matter how gently inserted, was WAY less humane than a 22 WMR to the brainstem, while being held on my wife's lap, wrapped in her dog-blankie, and half-heartedly trying to chew on a frozen deer-heart we thawed for her. She just went limp, we said a prayer, and buried her.

Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Been in a few houses due to calls for animal cruelty and made a few arrests. A couple where I had to wear a gas mask due to the dead dogs in the mix. Not how we spent much of our time but sometimes required. Never underestimate the depravity of humans even to children.

My current dog is a Rhodesian Ridgeback who likes the desert a lot more than the deep snow. But tolerates it pretty well at times in the winter of WV and late fall of Alaska. He does Brown bears perfectly just growls lowly with no barking to tell me one is coming same with wolves. Loves hunting and gets mad if you are shooting and there is nothing to retrieve. He was 60+ Lbs in the photo and is 100+ pounds now and not that friendly unless introduced. None of our places have neighbors close so it helps. I grew up a farm boy and we took care of all the animals and vets were only for the money makers. I still believe that and Vets and animal control has had a few problems with my attitude when getting the required shots for travel over the border or dealing with other animals.
[attachment=0]P8270091.JPG[/attachment]
It is not the critic who counts