What is a Marlin "XLR," really?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

What is a Marlin "XLR," really?

Post by AJMD429 »

I like the stainless guide gun, but was looking at the 1895XLR, and there are three differences I see - one (I like) is the pistol grip, another (I like) is the better wood, and one (I'm amvibalent about) is the 24" vs. 18.5" barrel length.

Are those the only three differences? If so, and one just had to have the pistol grip, I would think you could have the barrel cut down on the XLR, right?

I heard a local gun dealer explaining to a customer that the guns were somehow made so they could shoot the special Hornady ammunition, but am I missing something, or could I not shoot regular ammunition in an "XLR," and the rubber-pointy stuff in the regular one? Are they so sensitive to COAL or bullet shape that they'd feed differently?

The only "XLR" I see that doesn't have an equivalent in their 'regular' series, is the .308
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Gun dealer is talking out his ear. The XLR is a stainless 1895, pure and simple, no different than a stainless guide gun except it's a pistol grip with the longer barrel and laminated stock.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

As I recall, the XLRs are supposedly somehow optimized for use with the Leverevolution ammo. I'd be hard-pressed to tell you how, though. :?
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

The only functional difference, & its probably in all their guns now anyway is the followers have a dished face to keep the pointy tips from slipping off & wedging between the tube & follower. The bolts are fluted too but thats asthetic.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

I own the 1895XLR and 308 MXLR.The XLR series is Ballard rifled 24" Barrels.The Followers are dished to feed LE ammo(really unecessary).The bolts are fluted to prevent binding on the LE ammo (do to higher pressure and the gulling effect of the SS receiver on the Bolt).The Barrel threads are V cut like the 1895M in 450 Marlin.The Magazine Barrel Dovetail has a step to prevent tightening down of the mag screw.This allows the Barrel to Pivot at the point of attachment under recoil(the magazine can be wiggled slightly with finger pressure).This is to mimic Forend contact on a sporter bolt action(the ole three point bedding-ie Mauser,Springfield etc Military bolts and for example Remington 700 walnut stocked sporters)-allowing for some movement without the damper of full magazine contact.I also own the 308MX the Barrel is attached in the same fashion.Although the bolt is not fluted on the 308MX,the interior machining and polish is some of the finest I have seen in a factory marlin. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Re: What is a Marlin "XLR," really?

Post by Slick13 »

From the Marlin website....

"the XLR Series--built to take full advantage of the improvements gained with Hornady’s new LEVEREVOLUTION® ammunition."

Improvements gained = flatter trajectory/longer range.

I seem to remember reading in an article or something that a little more attention to detail is paid in the construction of the XLR rifles, to improve accuracy at 300+ yards.

~Michael
DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

The XLR will be my next Marlin. I like that they stayed with wood, though laminated, in order to give those of us who like wood an alternative to a plastic stock for a little more weather resistance.

The 24'' barrel would probably go when I buy one. Maybe just down to 22'' or 20'' for the slight improvement in handiness I figure this would bring. I really like the overall looks of this rifle. Thanks for the details on the actual changes from the earlier 1895.

Anyone here have pics of an XLR that they've shortened? - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

yep, just modified a bit to allow the LE ammo to feed and function well. Yes, you can use standard ammo with no problem.

And the longer barrel is part of the "secret" to the higher velocity... so shortening the barrel kinda defeats the purpose of the rifle IMHO.

I like em but not enough to get one yet. Never say never :)

I can shoot LE ammo in my other Marlins just fine.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Jaguarundi wrote:I own the 1895XLR and 308 MXLR.The XLR series is Ballard rifled 24" Barrels.The Followers are dished to feed LE ammo(really unecessary).The bolts are fluted to prevent binding on the LE ammo (do to higher pressure and the gulling effect of the SS receiver on the Bolt).The Barrel threads are V cut like the 1895M in 450 Marlin.The Magazine Barrel Dovetail has a step to prevent tightening down of the mag screw.This allows the Barrel to Pivot at the point of attachment under recoil(the magazine can be wiggled slightly with finger pressure).This is to mimic Forend contact on a sporter bolt action(the ole three point bedding-ie Mauser,Springfield etc Military bolts and for example Remington 700 walnut stocked sporters)-allowing for some movement without the damper of full magazine contact.I also own the 308MX the Barrel is attached in the same fashion.Although the bolt is not fluted on the 308MX,the interior machining and polish is some of the finest I have seen in a factory marlin. :wink:
Wow, I stand corrected. There are enough improvements to the 45-70 action over my GS that I'm interested, particularly the v-cut barrel threads. I may buy one of those and sell the GS after I have the XLR chopped.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[What is a Marlin "XLR," really?]

XLR = eXtra Long Range, i.e., a whole 4" longer, due to a 24" barrel ILO a 20". :wink:
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Dixieboy, Here is my XLR in 45-70 that I had shortened to 20". Took a cow elk with it last year! Hope to get a bull this year.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jkbrea wrote:Dixieboy, Here is my XLR in 45-70 that I had shortened to 20". Took a cow elk with it last year! Hope to get a bull this year.
Who did the shortening, and is it very difficult (i.e. do you need an above average gunsmith to do it right, or can one even cut and crown it themself if reasonably competent with tools?)

It ALSO looks like you had the magazine tube lengthened, since I thought the barrel was more than 4 inches longer than the tube; is that correct?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I sent it to Clements Custom Guns in VA on the advise of a forum member here. They cut it and recrowned it and added the extended mag tube and WWG lever. Turn around time was about 2-3 months. They were great to work with. I told him I needed it for my upcoming elk hunt and he made sure it was shipped on time.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

sore shoulder wrote:
Jaguarundi wrote:I own the 1895XLR and 308 MXLR.The XLR series is Ballard rifled 24" Barrels.The Followers are dished to feed LE ammo(really unecessary).The bolts are fluted to prevent binding on the LE ammo (do to higher pressure and the gulling effect of the SS receiver on the Bolt).The Barrel threads are V cut like the 1895M in 450 Marlin.The Magazine Barrel Dovetail has a step to prevent tightening down of the mag screw.This allows the Barrel to Pivot at the point of attachment under recoil(the magazine can be wiggled slightly with finger pressure).This is to mimic Forend contact on a sporter bolt action(the ole three point bedding-ie Mauser,Springfield etc Military bolts and for example Remington 700 walnut stocked sporters)-allowing for some movement without the damper of full magazine contact.I also own the 308MX the Barrel is attached in the same fashion.Although the bolt is not fluted on the 308MX,the interior machining and polish is some of the finest I have seen in a factory marlin. :wink:
Wow, I stand corrected. There are enough improvements to the 45-70 action over my GS that I'm interested, particularly the v-cut barrel threads. I may buy one of those and sell the GS after I have the XLR chopped.
The only ones with the V thread design are the 308 & 450. The rest are threaded normally & not designed for any more pressure than a regular 336.
lever4ever
Levergunner

Post by lever4ever »

Anyone here have pics of an XLR that they've shortened?

Here my .450 Marlin 1895 MXLR with the barrel shortened to 20"!
Did some chrono tests before and after chopping.
My handloads with 300gr. Speer UCHP , 58gr. Vihtavuori N-130, CCI-200 go 2257 fps out of the short barrel. Compared to 2303 fps out the 24" barrel that's only 46 fps slower.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Leverdude wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:[Wow, I stand corrected. There are enough improvements to the 45-70 action over my GS that I'm interested, particularly the v-cut barrel threads. I may buy one of those and sell the GS after I have the XLR chopped.
The only ones with the V thread design are the 308 & 450. The rest are threaded normally & not designed for any more pressure than a regular 336.
Hey Ken, got any sources? Not doubting you at all, just want to have my facts straight after this little roller coaster ride here on this thread. :lol:
11B30
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

It's a B E A U T Y , that is what it is!!!!!

This is my MXLR in .450 Marlin.

8)
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

I wasn't excited about those shortened guns at all till I saw the pix. Wow! Nice looking levers.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

sore shoulder wrote:
Leverdude wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:[Wow, I stand corrected. There are enough improvements to the 45-70 action over my GS that I'm interested, particularly the v-cut barrel threads. I may buy one of those and sell the GS after I have the XLR chopped.
Hey Ken, got any sources? Not doubting you at all, just want to have my facts straight after this little roller coaster ride here on this thread. :lol:

Yup, You know him from MO but dont care for him much.
He was directly involved in the development of the XLR series.

The 30/30, 35 & other XLRs in standard chamberings dont need the added strength.

Now, I never took one apart to check, but I trust him & it just plain makes sense. I imagine if they were to change the threads on the XLR 30/30's theyd do the whole line up that way.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hmmm , I have all the different chamberings in the XLR and GG series of Marlin rifles as well as the standerd styles !

The biggest complaint I have is that Marlin DID NOT see fit to bring the 336XLR out in the 32 Special round this year !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I expect the thing about optimising them for Whorenady ammo is because some people were experiencing jamming problems with the LeveRevolution ammo.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Leverdude is correct!The V cut barrel shanks are only done with the 308 ME and 450 marlin chamberings. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Marlin XLR reminds me of my older Savage model 99.

Both are lever action rifles without barrel bands that are capable of .308 performance. The Savage actually is a .308 :)

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!