UPDATE Somebody want to explain the attraction to this Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

UPDATE Somebody want to explain the attraction to this Colt

Post by jdad »

Why is this bid up $20,000 more than it's market value? It sure isn't pristine or rare. It ain't my money, just curious as to why.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/15492009
Last edited by jdad on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Somebody want to explain the attraction to this Colt

Post by Pete44ru »

Since there's several that are evaluated at about the same, I would think that it's the new normal.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detai ... r-4440-wcf

Just because I either can't afford it, or just plain don't want to pay that much, doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't worth that much - given that there's serious bids in that stratosphere.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I don't have the foggiest idea... unless there's someone that has more money than sense, or wants it REALLY BAD! Since the bidding went past $1445, there's only been two bidders... (one is a "proxy bidder")...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Old Colt SAA revolvers have been doing crazy things. I don't understand why they've even gotten over a few thousand dollars, unless they had some special provenance? But it seems to be the norm in recent years, and I'm not sure even the buyers can say why.
I think they're neat, but they've puzzled me for decades. I remember back in the 1970's when a friend and I were walking around a local gun show and seeing them for $250-$350 often. I told him we should probably think about buying all we saw in the lower price range. He told me, "There must be a million of them, and I doubt they'll ever get big money." :roll:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Someone bidding it up, so the price of the bidder's collection may go up also?

Someone knows something about the provenance of that particular Colt?
65bee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 65bee »

You have to figure that there were only about 350,000 1st generation SAA ever made. This model revolver was subjected to more use and abuse by its owners (cowboys, ranchers, prospectors, etc.) than probably any other firearm ever made, outside of military arms. Very ,very few have come down through the years in decent condition. That being said, this particular revolver is especially nice shape and in a desirable caliber. Obviously, though, there are some bidders with fat wallets willing to pay way above the going value. This seems to be the current wave with all the Colt guns. The prices being paid for Pythons and Diamondbacks are even more ridiculous than the above SAA in my estimation.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

way above my pay-grade and ca$h flow... :O
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, as the man said, "there's a sucker born every minute".
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

That single action Colt is "standard" in every respect. Proper markings, everything....standard. To me, it's a $4,000 gun..the caliber helps.

My worst one has that much condition.....

OK.....two bidders.......most likely two guys who just inherited a mess of stupid money 💰 who just don't care.

Maybe, both bidders know each other and the bidding is fake with one of the bidders being the owner of the gun hoping that after the auction is over one of the guys will put up a few S.A. Colts in the hopes that other people who have money to blow will remember this auction and bid high.

I remember when certain well known individuals bring out a book on a certain brand of gun, complete with history of the manaufacturer, along with high prices in the book suddenly decide to sell their personal collections.
Yea, Smith and Wesson by ?....well, I ain't saying names...could get me sued....sale prices of old smiths doubled overnight after the book came out. Another book on Rugers did the same.

-----The Count.
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

There should be no premium for the .44-40 caliber in a SAA first gen since that was the most common caliber by far above all others! There were over 71,000 made in .44-40, and the next closest was .38-40 at over 50,000. Now if this was a .22 Rimfire, or one of the .476 Eley calibers then I'd see some premium. But .44-40 is a great caliber, but much too common.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

A super rich foreign potentate with more money than brains wants a "real cowboy gun"... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

You fellers that know these things -- I was surprised by the marking "COLT FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER" on a first generation gun. Grandpa's old babe that I thought was fairly late in the first generation isn't marked that way. Around when did that start?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

earlmck wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:10 pm You fellers that know these things -- I was surprised by the marking "COLT FRONTIER SIX SHOOTER" on a first generation gun. Grandpa's old babe that I thought was fairly late in the first generation isn't marked that way. Around when did that start?
It is the correct barrel marking. If it wasn't Jack The Dog would know, and let the buyer know. Nobody is as honest or knowledgeable as he is with online auctions. I've known him for years, and he's sold numerous guns for me. Sometimes he's brutally honest, which might affect my end, but always fair to the buyer.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:38 am There should be no premium for the .44-40 caliber in a SAA first gen since that was the most common caliber by far above all others! There were over 71,000 made in .44-40, and the next closest was .38-40 at over 50,000. Now if this was a .22 Rimfire, or one of the .476 Eley calibers then I'd see some premium. But .44-40 is a great caliber, but much too common.
Marlinman....I agree with you 99% of the time when it comes to old guns and their calibers but their are numerous exceptions and those exceptions almost always pertain to Winchesters and Colts. For example, the 1892 Winchester of which the overwhelming majority were made in 44-40.......they bring the most money. (Ok, a handful were made in the Bee)

1886 Win. ---with the exception of the 50-110 or 50-450 the 45-70 brings the most money of which the majority were made in, followed closely by the 45-90. Calibers like the 40-70 or 38-70 are in the hundreds by quantity and they bring no special premium unless they have high condition compared to other calibers. As we all know, the .33 is the least desirable. (Now, get me a model 71 in 33 or 45-70 and you got something.....BIG...I saw one in 33 and it went for $3500. .....back in the early eighties. I could have had it but I was having a hard time rubbing two pennies together in those days.)

In the single action Colt, the 44-40 is the most desirable of the "common calibers" as it has the nostalgic taste of the Old West. Colts in 45 almost triple the amount made compared to the 44 w.c.f. The barrel roll mark "Colts Frontier Six Shooter" was used right up to WW1....(going out of my head so please don't hold me accountable to minor mistakes) :D Several variations were made in that marking but the Colt in question here has the standard, most common variety. Earlier ones were acid etched along with the roll marking.

A Bisley Target in 32 s&w will bring less than the same gun in 32-20 despite the difference in numbers made.

According to experts, less than 10% of 1st. Gen. single action Colts are still all original....the demand continues, especially with the dollar becoming more worthless everyday.

I'm still dumbfounded on this Colt in question bringing this much money 💰 nice gun, used and not abused, looks original....I still say there is an untold story here, usually motivated by greed. Another thought...maybe the serial number shows it belonged to a famous person and no one here knows the person or story...except the two bidders.----6
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I agree Sixgun. I was simply stating the fact that the caliber is not rare, and shouldn't bring a premium, even if they do!
In many old Winchester repeaters the largest calibers are rare, so not quite the same as a Colt SAA in a big caliber. For most old guns the larger the caliber, the more money they bring. Big bore 1895 Marlins bring the most of all early 1895's also, but those that bring the highest are also the biggest of the big bores, and they are rare too. Same with the Savage 1899. Those in .38-55 bring big money, and they happen to be some of the most rare of the Savage 1899.
Lots of examples where big bores in different rifles bring the most demand, but few of them happen to also be the caliber that's most common like the 1st Gen Colt SAA.

Are you sure about the SAA in .45 Colt being made 3x as many as .44-40? Or do you mean among all SAA, and not 1st Gen SAA? I've not seen nearly as many 1st Gen in .45 Colt, and my data says only 12,500 1st Gen in .45 Colt.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yep Marlinman...big calibers=big money...I'll go look on the Colts..Im lazy, don't feel like going downstairs..see if I can find it here. Aggravating internet. I'll look in the book.....

Out of the new blue book....

Smaller calibers on preceding page...I have a very nice saa in 44 Russian that was owned by John W. Hession..letters to his name.
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks Sixgun! Had to go back and see where I made the mistake on .45 Colt numbers. It was indeed the most common caliber by far!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

marlinman93 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:38 am It is the correct barrel marking. If it wasn't Jack The Dog would know, and let the buyer know. Nobody is as honest or knowledgeable as he is with online auctions. I've known him for years, and he's sold numerous guns for me. Sometimes he's brutally honest, which might affect my end, but always fair to the buyer.
No, I knew it would be a legitimate marking from a "Jack The Dog" auction -- I was just curious about something I know little of.
Sixgun wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:10 pm
The barrel roll mark "Colts Frontier Six Shooter" was used right up to WW1....(going out of my head so please don't hold me accountable to minor mistakes) :D Several variations were made in that marking but the Colt in question here has the standard, most common variety. Earlier ones were acid etched along with the roll marking.
Thanks for the info 6. I have paternal grandpa's 45 Colt from around 1900 that just says "45 Colt" and maternal grandpa's 38/40 from the 1930's that just says "38 WCF". So I guess my teeny collection just missed before and after that "Frontier Six Shooter" marking.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Sixgun, thanks for showing your book. I have a Colt SAA in .45 Colt that I bought in 1959.t was still in the box with 12 empty cases. I got for 100.00 dollars. Your book shows it to be an early 1957 gun. I am glad to know this now. It came with some real nice stag grips that are now a deep yellow. I can't do pictures anymore, but I have posted some a few years back.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

earlmck wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:11 pmThanks for the info 6. I have paternal grandpa's 45 Colt from around 1900 that just says "45 Colt" and maternal grandpa's 38/40 from the 1930's that just says "38 WCF". So I guess my teeny collection just missed before and after that "Frontier Six Shooter" marking.
"Frontier Six Shooter" is only used on .44-40s.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Griff wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 pm "Frontier Six Shooter" is only used on .44-40s.
Ah ha! You fellers have at least doubled my knowledge of these funny old things. I love revolvers but all my shootin' ones have flip-out cylinders and you don't really have to cock them if you are in a hurry...
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've owned some Colt SAA revolvers, but when prices started going crazy I sold them. Replaced them with clones from AWA and Uberti, and since I just wanted them to shoot and not collect the clones serve that purpose. I used the extra funds toward my other collectible firearms.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:30 pm I've owned some Colt SAA revolvers, but when prices started going crazy I sold them. Replaced them with clones from AWA and Uberti, and since I just wanted them to shoot and not collect the clones serve that purpose. I used the extra funds toward my other collectible firearms.
Yea...good point.....I know your passion is single shots so, like me, you will just use other good collectibles for wheeling and dealing on what you really want. I once had a 98% Stevens model 45, complete with piano varnish XXX wood stock, a very intricate vernier tang sight, set trigger, chambered in .22 L.R. Probably a $5,000 gun today..I sold it for $1500 and that was in the nineties.
Model A Uzi’s
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: UPDATE Somebody want to explain the attraction to this Colt

Post by jdad »

Well, well, well, relisted.

This item has been relisted due to a bidding error the first go-around...thank you.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/15531884

I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Re: UPDATE Somebody want to explain the attraction to this Colt

Post by marlinman93 »

jdad wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:36 pm Well, well, well, relisted.

This item has been relisted due to a bidding error the first go-around...thank you.

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/15531884
This is interesting! I could see one "bidding error", but somebody else had to bid against the one. Maybe two people playing games and bidding it up with fake bidder registration. It happens fairly often.