Yesterday I loaded 3/4 of a box of 30-30's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Yesterday I loaded 3/4 of a box of 30-30's

Post by JimT »

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Yesterday I loaded 3/4 of a box of 30-30's

Post by .45colt »

Let's see...30-30's are pretty cheap to buy new around $15.00, so since there is only 3/4 of a box there I'll give You that much shipped. Looks Great to Me. :D :D :D . Have a Great Day Jim.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

.45colt wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:06 am Let's see...30-30's are pretty cheap to buy new around $15.00, so since there is only 3/4 of a box there I'll give You that much shipped. Looks Great to Me. :D :D :D . Have a Great Day Jim.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Fine lookin' partial box of shells Jim. Just exactly that sort of loading (4 to 5 hundred thutty thuttys at a time) tipped me over into getting the Hornady progressive a few years ago. Have not regretted that purchase, though I'll only go through the pain of the set-up when I am going to do multiple hundreds of the same thing.

And if .45colt backs out of the purchase I want to be next in line :D
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I do all my loading on an old Rock Chucker RCBS ... have used it for 40 years or so and am getting used to it. I size, deprime, and then prime all the brass. I keep bins full of various calibers ... ready to load. When I start loading all I have to do is add the powder and seat and crimp the bullet. I ain't in any hurry. Getting too old to be in hurry so I don't mind using the old single stage press. Heck, sometimes I load them with my Lyman 310 Tool! That makes the press feel fast. :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's got to be a good feeling, Jim. Hard to beat a Rockchucker. The only press I ever had that came close in solid feel was a Redding T-7 turret press.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Its strange to think that for some guys that is a lifetime supply of ammo. For others its a month or two.

Wm

P.S. A hearty +1 on the Rockchucker though I also use a Square deal B for my handgun ammo.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Rock Chucker is the only reloading press I've ever used. Fine for reloading, but it won't chuck rocks.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had always wanted a rock chucker then I got a Dillon 550. Itll do everything. I do have an RCBS "O" press, forget the name. It gets the nod for exact precision/ load development. Not to mention military brass. For blasting ammo it's all Dillon.

I have a 20mm can I use for shotgun ammo, when it's full I know I have enough for a bunker match!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

wm wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:21 pm Its strange to think that for some guys that is a lifetime supply of ammo. For others its a month or two.
That would get me started and the barrel warmed up on a Sunday afternoon at the gun club. Still, nice pile Jimbo!----6
Model A Uzi’s
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:43 pm I do have an RCBS "O" press, forget the name.

RCBS jr? I have 4 of those in the basement. I had quite the little streak of finding them at flea markets and yard sales for $5. I just could not not buy them.

I got two sons, several nephews, ...... future house warming gifts i guess.

Wm
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I dont think it's the Jr press...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Have not used a smaller press .. not sure what the name would be.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Me neither, gotta be at least 30 years old.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Partner maybe?
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Jim, when I was 15 I asked for several Lee loaders in the calibers we had on the home place. I had been loading 30 WCF with one for a year. Christmas Day after the presents under the tree were opened my Father brought out a box with a Rockchucker and dies for every centerfire we owned. Over 45 years now it has served well. Dad said no more hammering on primers in his house lol.
Looks like a relaxing afternoon for you.
I saw a fellow at work advertising a Dillion 550 with two sets of dies for 100 bucks and called him right up he told me I had missed it but if the first guy backed out I would have it. They didn't and I said ok Lord, you knew I didn't need it!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

EdinCT wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:48 pm Jim, when I was 15 I asked for several Lee loaders in the calibers we had on the home place. I had been loading 30 WCF with one for a year. Christmas Day after the presents under the tree were opened my Father brought out a box with a Rockchucker and dies for every centerfire we owned. Over 45 years now it has served well. Dad said no more hammering on primers in his house lol.
Looks like a relaxing afternoon for you.
I saw a fellow at work advertising a Dillion 550 with two sets of dies for 100 bucks and called him right up he told me I had missed it but if the first guy backed out I would have it. They didn't and I said ok Lord, you knew I didn't need it!
As far as I am concerned you can't go wrong with a Rock Chucker .. no matter what else you have. I still have a Lee Loader or two. I remember trying to primer 30 Carbine with one many years ago ... and setting off the primer cuz I did not know about the military crimped primers. I think that's what started the continuous ringing in my ears. :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks like a worthwhile and productive day to me. There are worse ways to spend time. The TV comes to mind.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

wm wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:33 pmPartner maybe?
That sounds familiar
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Looks like a great start. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:56 am Image
Okay... that's an excellent start! Note to self: get another .30 cal can and fill with 30WCF... :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

JimT wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm I do all my loading on an old Rock Chucker RCBS ... have used it for 40 years or so and am getting used to it. I size, deprime, and then prime all the brass. I keep bins full of various calibers ... ready to load.
I actually do about the same with the rifle calibers. For those calibers I have enough brass to make it worthwhile the Hornady does the size/deprime, prime, bell job (I seldom shoot jacketed bullets) and then they go into a bin. Then when ready to finish I'll add the powder and seat bullets on the old RCBS A2 press. Used that one for 53 years and am pretty much used to it.

The weak point of my progressive is powder charging -- more variance than I am comfortable with for rifles. Not too bad with the pistol-size measure and plenty good enough for me now that I am no longer much of a shot with a pistol. I used to think the weak point of the progressive for rifles was the case lubing. Then good folks here aimed me at Hornady one-shot lube and man does take the nuisance factor out of case lubing!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I still work up primed brass ready for powder and bullet on one of my Herters presses unless it's for pistol cal that we shoot a bunch of. Then it's the Dillon 550. The Dillon powder measure is very accurate Earl. Almost equal to the old Herters. I actually have 2 Herters presses but 1 stays set up with a shell holder for 45-70 and 45-90. Short range requires walking outside while 100 yards is 200 yards away and 350 yards is a quarter mile.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

claybob86 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:15 pm Rock Chucker is the only reloading press I've ever used. Fine for reloading, but it won't chuck rocks.
true dat. but it WILL reload em . . . :)