I too have a Jeep now

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

I too have a Jeep now

Post by M. M. Wright »

My poor old body has deteriorated to the point where I can no longer traipse over hill and dale at will so decided to get a 4X4 something for off road. Found this YJ for the price of the wheels and tires so bought it even though it didn't run. Someone had attempted a GM TBI (throttle body injection) but botched it up really bad. The engine, a 4.2 I6 bent all the exhaust push rods when we turned it over so off with the head and ended up replacing all pistons and rings but the real challenge was getting the TBI sorted. Finally got her done this week. Well, not done but running and driving.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I too have a Jeep now

Post by Grizz »

So Nice !! looks like you can climb utility poles with that rig!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I had a jeep... :(
BIG CONGRATS on yours...:)
jeep.snow.png
jeep.2004.aa.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Nice Jeep and nice workshop!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I installed a Howell Fuel injection system on my CJ7. Howell used a GM 4.3L throttle body in the kit, it worked very well.
Last edited by draperjojo on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

No more mud hole trouble. That ought to do you fine.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Cool MM.....welcome to the world of Jeeps! In our family there's something like 14 Jeeps 🚙 ranging from yj's to j.k.'s.

They just run and run and run....got an 89 YJ in the barn that runs excellent, my TJ and the wife's JK.---6

My baby is getting new sneakers this week. First set since new.

Model A Uzi’s
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Nice Rig! My friend’s son finished off last year installing a 4BT Cummins in his :mrgreen: . Now he’s attempting to install a 6BT in a CJ5! The seats have been pushed back enough that when I sit in them I can practically hang one of my arms over the tail gate! It's going to be his dedicated trail rig.

Mainehunter
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My first was an '88, had a blown head gasket. Half day to fix it. No rust n the body- around here that's a plus! Put new wheels on it, Webber carb. It had a new radiator, starter, clutch when I got it. Then I found a 5 speed Borg-Warner trams & transfer case to replace the Pugeot slips out 3rd gear trans & transfer. That jeep was great, even with the street tires it would go through snow up to the doors!
I miss my Rubicon right up to the point of where I need to haul something around.

Congrats on your Jeep !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice.
A well set up YJ will run with anything. Few guys in our club run them and do very well.
Can't imagine life without a Jeep.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

draperjojo wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:21 pm I installed a Howell Fuel injection system on my CJ7. Howell used a GM 4.3L throttle body in the kit, it worked very well.
That's what I've been working on for the last couple of months. Had to change out the nozzles to ones from a 4.3 to get it to run right.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

8) Grats MM, thinking about looking for one this spring myself. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Got to ride in a surplus Willys as a kid -- no doors or top, and front window folded forward. Boy, what an adventure! Wanted one ever since.

8)
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

I know what you mean...lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Jay....that baby is shining! I agree buddy...could not imagine life without a 🚙. In fact, I'm headed to Quadratec ina few minutes to get wheel spacers for the new sneakers. (Can I have your Jeep?)---6
Model A Uzi’s
mos
Levergunner

Post by mos »

Nice ride! My daily driver is a 2-door Rubicon MT. Love it and can't imagine not being able to go anywhere or get out of anything. So few vehicles are made with a stick these days that a compact 4x4 MT is, well, I think only still built by Jeep!

mos
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm Hey Jay....that baby is shining! I agree buddy...could not imagine life without a 🚙. In fact, I'm headed to Quadratec ina few minutes to get wheel spacers for the new sneakers. (Can I have your Jeep?)---6
Spacers? You need spacers to clear those? I figured a 285 would clear. If they rub a little on the lower control arms at full turn, just put a lock washer behind the steering stop bolt. Should be enough.

No, you can't have it. :D
Probably has too many Bush marks compared to yours, anyway. :D
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Square headlights? That's a little...unsettling. (grin)

Had a 2001 TJ, sold it with settling other empty nest issues. Thinking about getting another.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

That'll buff right out. :lol: :lol:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Recently saw the ROXOR it's a copy of the CJ series but its reduced scale for off road only. Ted Nugent has one. They are made by Mahindra, during WW2 they were licensed to produce the Willys for use in that part of the war...IIRC.

On Fox news app Twin-engine mail Jeep is quite a stretch

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/twin-engin ... -a-stretch
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

As someone who has now owned several in the last 45 years..........The Guy behind the parts counter told Me one day...... Just, Empty, Entire, Pocket,...of course this was before the internet. :shock: .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I heard it as Just Empty Every Pocket :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

The Mahindra is cool, but can’t be licensed for street.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Back in the early 1990's I owned a Jeep HONCHO pick-up that featured the straight 6 cylinder motor. The body rusted out after over 200,000 miles of use but was still running well when it was junked.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mainehunter wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:10 am Nice Rig! My friend’s son finished off last year installing a 4BT Cummins in his :mrgreen: . Now he’s attempting to install a 6BT in a CJ5! The seats have been pushed back enough that when I sit in them I can practically hang one of my arms over the tail gate! It's going to be his dedicated trail rig.

Mainehunter
First while it ain’t a CJ, it’ Still an older Jeep.

Second, real Jeepers know Jeep projects are never done.

After 37 years of changing mine, I’m working on putting it as close to stock as possible. I have a shed full of original parts. All were removed long before they expired as part of “projects”. The one thing I can’t find are original tires. Not sure what I’ll do about that.

Oh, one more thing. Put a hood liner on.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'm looking for a vehicle. Never owned a Jeep, don't know what to look for and what to avoid. Does anyone have a "simple" list for an older runner that is work-on-able and would serve as a cruiser as well as an offroader?

thanks in advance

Grizz
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Grizz,
I may be biased, but I consider the TJ (97-06) to be the best balance of what you are looking for. They were the first Jeep to go to a coil and four link suspension. Small lifts are easy and economical. They are pretty good on the road, and came with arguably the best engine ever put in a Jeep, the 4.0 I6.
With this, they are still pretty simple and easy to work on. They don't have such invasive electronics as the later JK and JL models.
All years are pretty good. There were some changes in transmission offerings, but none are real turds.
If you are going over a 31" tire and locking the rear, stay away from the Dana 35 rear end and look for a 44. This depends on driving style, as I have an old 97 with a 4 cylinder that I ran on 33s with a rear Tru- trac and never had a problem.
If you live in the rust belt, check the frame real good.
I can go on for hours, so if you have any questions, give a holler. :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OldWin wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:26 pm Hey Grizz,
I may be biased, but I consider the TJ (97-06) to be the best balance of what you are looking for. They were the first Jeep to go to a coil and four link suspension. Small lifts are easy and economical. They are pretty good on the road, and came with arguably the best engine ever put in a Jeep, the 4.0 I6.
With this, they are still pretty simple and easy to work on. They don't have such invasive electronics as the later JK and JL models.
All years are pretty good. There were some changes in transmission offerings, but none are real turds.
If you are going over a 31" tire and locking the rear, stay away from the Dana 35 rear end and look for a 44. This depends on driving style, as I have an old 97 with a 4 cylinder that I ran on 33s with a rear Tru- trac and never had a problem.
Thank you SO much for this. It will narrow and define my searches. If I find something I'll run it by you.

First question, how do you know if the rear end is Dana 35 or 44? As to the rest, I do most all of my mechanickin, so am looking for the old style easy to work on ride.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The cover on a D44 looks like a stop sign. The 35 is more rounded. Also the fill plug on the 44 is a threaded plug where the 35 has a rubber push in plug.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

My current non gun projects
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Grizz wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:21 pm
OldWin wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:26 pm Hey Grizz,
Thank you SO much for this. It will narrow and define my searches. If I find something I'll run it by you.

First question, how do you know if the rear end is Dana 35 or 44? As to the rest, I do most all of my mechanickin, so am looking for the old style easy to work on ride.
Also you might want to avoid the AMC 20 rear axle. They were installed on a lot of jeeps up to mid 80's. The pumpkin is similar in shape being round like the Dana 35. I do have one on my 80 CJ5 that I'm running 33's BUT I've done a few mods to it so strenght wise it equal to the Dana 44.

Mainehunter
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The AMC 20 won't be an issue unless getting back into the CJ. They are still stronger than a 35 if you replace the 2 piece shafts.
The problem with the 35 is weak c-clip shafts, a weak carrier, and wafer thin tubes. There is no hope for it.
The front Dana 30 is actually stronger. As long as you don't lock it solid, and drive with common sense, you can run 35s on them.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

OldWin wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:36 am The AMC 20 won't be an issue unless getting back into the CJ. They are still stronger than a 35 if you replace the 2 piece shafts.
The problem with the 35 is weak c-clip shafts, a weak carrier, and wafer thin tubes. There is no hope for it.
The front Dana 30 is actually stronger. As long as you don't lock it solid, and drive with common sense, you can run 35s on them.
I’ve ended up installing the one-piece axles on the AMC 20 just a piece of mind. I’ve seen a couple of times two-piece axles snapping off and it wasn’t pretty! The other thing I did was stick welded the axle tubes to the housing. They have a tendency to twist if enough torque is applied. Supposedly a guy I know cousin has a AMC 20 that he installed a aftermarket full float kit a few years ago. He ended up taking it out and modifying a Dana 70. The last time I’ve talk to them was late last summer and he was toying around selling it. I mentioned to him I might be interested to give me a call when the time comes. It’s already January and I’m thinking he’s keeping it or sold it someone else. :|

Mainehunter
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

The trick is finding an axle strong enough without going too big. Then they are heavy and have a lot less clearance under the pumpkin. Ford 9", Ford 8.8, Dana 44s work well.
Of course, a nice set of Curries, Dynatrac, or Core custom axles are nice. :D
And........if we had Six's money, we could have a set. :D