Things that make you shake your head in disbelief ......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Things that make you shake your head in disbelief ......

Post by wm »

I attended a auction here this morning. They had a few firearms. And more then a few people chasing them beyond the point of reasonableness. Non descript, run of the mill Marlin model 60 for $375? Ruger 10/22 $460? T/C White Mountain carbine $400?

And the amazing thing to me is it was not just two or three bidders going beyond what is reasonable, it was a dozen plus.

Wm
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Things that make you shake your head in disbelief ......

Post by gamekeeper »

I hope those bidders don't know something we don't …....
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Seen that before. Couple different thoughts...

Some are doing that just to help the family out and it's a more discreet way that just dropping off an envelope. (ignoring the autioneer's fee)

Alternate, it's sentimental or bragging rights, "oh, that old .30-30, that used to belong to old Joe Bag'o donuts".

Last, some people just get caught up in the frenzy and don't have a blankin' clue.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

wecsoger wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:52 pm Seen that before. Couple different thoughts...

Some are doing that just to help the family out and it's a more discreet way that just dropping off an envelope. (ignoring the autioneer's fee)

Alternate, it's sentimental or bragging rights, "oh, that old .30-30, that used to belong to old Joe Bag'o donuts".

Last, some people just get caught up in the frenzy and don't have a blankin' clue.
You make some good points. I figured it was just that thrid reason but the first two could be in play.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Of course the rimfires went for twice of new ones but well used T/C muzzleloaders with stock dings and freckled blue but good bores are all going for $300 to $500.....see thegunworks.com or trackofthewolf.com for current retail prices of used muzzleloaders. Traditional T/Cs, even at $400 to $500 move pretty quick. None have been made since the 1996 factory fire.
m.A.g.a. !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Multiple bidders for the same gun explains some of it. Uneducated bidders will explain the rest. Toss those two combinations together, and you've got the recipe for crazy end prices!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/