Weaver vs. Vortex opinions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Anntc
Levergunner

Weaver vs. Vortex opinions?

Post by Anntc »

I've come into possession of a 1963 Marlin 336 R.C. in .30-.30 with a Weaver 63A base mount but no scope https://tacticsfaq.com/vortex-crossfire-vs-diamondback/ . I'm looking for opinions on the Weaver Classic V 2.5-7x32 and the Vortex 2-7x35 Diamondback scopes. While I know everyone has their favorite brands, these are the ONLY two scopes I'm looking for input on. So if you have first hand experience with either of these scopes, I would greatly appreciate any knowledge you would be willing to share. I see no need to replace the Weaver base but I am open to suggestions on brands and heights of rings for mounting either of these scopes. Thanks for any info!
Last edited by Anntc on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Weaver vs. Vortex opinions?

Post by GunnyMack »

Weaver is good stuff but I bet Sixgun has a few words about Vortex... Probably not kind words!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Isn't that Weaver a rimfire scope (RV7)? The Vortex is a centerfire.

I have several of the newer, higher end, Vortex PST scopes on AR's and have no issues.

I have several centerfire and rimfire Weavers also. No problems with them also.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
horsesoldier2019
Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier2019 »

I have two Vortex 1-4x28 scopes. Both have the illuminated reticles. The glass is crystal clear and has never fogged even when getting out of a warm truck and going hunting in 20 F temps. I did send one of them back because the illumination knob was not illuminating in the proper position. It was promptly repaired and I had it back about 10 days from the day I sent it, fully covered by their warranty. I was very impressed. I have looked through several Weavers in the store and wasn't impressed enough to bite. No clue on their warranty.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Congrats on the fine new acquisition -- the absolutely perfect rifle for a reloader. I have no experience on those brands of scope but that is just the type scope I prefer for my hunting/plinking guns. I like to mount the scope as low as possible on these rifles that were built as iron-sighters. Around these parts if I want anything lower that "medium" I have to order it. All of my "low" rings are Weaver and I've never had a complaint.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I am a self admitted ring and base snob. I highly recommend Warne medium rings a little more obtrusive but strong like bull. Keep in mind the only contact between whatever scope you pick and that rifle is the rings and bases. I have several 4-5 vortex scopes and am happy with them. I have never been really impressed with Weavers, after the all steel ones, but admittedly haven’t tried one in 15 years so unsure of the newer stuff.
Good luck, and a Great gun.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Only had one Weaver and it was a cheaper one. I bought a used Vortex for long range shooting in a Ruger LRP. Amazing clarity. Made two consecutive shots at a little over a mile. Customer service is great. Mine took a fall and bent the turret. About a 10 day turnaround and made to look like new. I work at a gun club and have noticed Vortex is a very popular scope.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Vortex would be my choice over Weaver. I have a few of them and one on my duty rifle.
It is not the critic who counts
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My only recent Weaver experience was when I saw some new K4s on sale so I bought 3 of them thinking it would be nice to go old school. When they got to me I found they were made in China and had nowhere near the clarity of the old K4s.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When I went hunting in Poland, the guide used Vortex with illuminated reticles and we hunted mostly at night. He claimed he could see better out of the Vortex than any other he has tried. I like Vortex for their clarity and ability to focus to my vision. Not everything focuses to my vision.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I bought a VORTEX scope in 2017 featuring 2-7X settings. Purchased from Optics Planet for less than $130. This scope is fitted to my Savage 99 in .308 with Weaver mounts. I really like the clarity and brightness of this scope!

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!