Y2K is studying abroad

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Y2K is studying abroad

Post by Ysabel Kid »

First fellas, I apologize for being absent most of the last 3 weeks. I've actually been on vacation most of that time, but spent almost none of it in front of a computer. That part was glorious! And it really did my back wonders (not sitting at a computer for hours at a time). Not looking at e-mails, the phone, texts... I could really get used to that!

Second, a belated "happy birthday" to all the birthday's that passed recently. A belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for that matter as well.

The holidays here were a zoo, as usual, but more so in that my son, known here as "Y2K", was only home a couple of weeks, and we spent all of that time getting him ready for his departure from the country. When we were not actually handling last-minute stuff - and I was amazed at how much "last minute" stuff there was - we just tried to spend all the time together as a family, since we won't see him for 4 months.

He left New Year's eve, flying to Miami, then on to Barcelona, Spain. He'll be there until the end of April, studying international business classes for this semester. I never had that opportunity, and wanted to make sure he took advantage of it.

We miss him already. He is normally only 90 minutes down the road, not 4,355 miles and six time zones away. I guess this is just getting us ready, for in another year (this is the spring semester of his junior year), he'll be graduated and off on his own.

I blinked, and he grew up. I'm really not ready. :( But I am DARN proud of him! :D
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Y2K is studying abroad

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:24 pm He left New Year's eve, flying to Miami, then on to Barcelona, Spain. He'll be there until the end of April, studying international business classes for this semester. I never had that opportunity, and wanted to make sure he took advantage of it.
That's great Jay, we'll be thinking good thoughts for him! And for you and Connie too.

I sure hope he studies more than my daughter did (didn't???) when she went to Barcelona in the spring.................. :wink:

She took the same classes there, wonder if it's the same program? Anyway, you probably didn't have to put a "Canadian Flag pin" on his jacket -- like my wife did for her l'il girl... :shock:

But I would bet you have him fully trained on conditions "yellow", "orange" and "red" -- and to always "be yellow", even/especially when everyone else is green... And I'm sure he knows the best way to stay out of trouble -- is to avoid troublesome spots, people and/or situations.

Just tell him "The Belt On The Shelf" has thousands of unused airline miles to use if needed...................

And remind him of what my late father used to tell us boys: "Little to nothing good ever happens after 2:00 in the morning..."

Good luck!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's an outstanding opportunity!!

(I studied a broad once, and got slapped :oops: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:39 pmThat's an outstanding opportunity!!
I studied abroad once also... got shot in the azz... learned a thing or two, or three.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Wow! That's great Kid! You and your wife deserve a large part of the credit as parents who care. We all remember your stories from over the years with the excellent upbringing your boy had ......and, his intelligence to take advantage of that well upbringing.

One thing for sure.....he won't be living in your basement and on your insurance policies. :D Well done to you all.----6
Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well now. Y2K seems to be turning out well. Congrats to YK & Mrs YK for that.

So I’ll only say that I used to know some really good bars in Barcelona. I wonder if any are still open? But if he’s I Interested I can give him a few names.

Seriously, there’s a lot to see & do there. And the rest of Spain, Portugal & Southern France are a short train ride away. However, the senioritas can be awfully distracting. Particularly those on the southern beaches.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I studied a broad at that age, and wound up so interested in the subject that I committed to a lifetime of further study. We've been married several decades, and study as I might, I still don't fully understand her, but I learn something new every day.... :D

Seriously, when they go off on their own, all full of knowledge, enthusiasm, and sound moral character, it may feel 'sad', but like Sixgun said, it is a sign you and MrsYK did a good job....!

Just be sure to re-ground him if his values start drifting to the collectvist/globalist side of things. Subscribe him to the Black Rifle Coffee Club..... :wink:

Try to relax, and be thankful that with the cellphones and internet, you can keep in WAY better touch than when we were young.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Doc...Ha! "Studied a broad".....was wondering why you left a space between "a" and "b".......you gotta be our age to understand that one. :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good for him!
You should be very proud, YK.

Our oldest did a semester in England. Kind of "abroad light". :D
He really enjoyed it and did well.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

My oldest daughter graduated last spring in international business relations. Don’t know if it’s the same major as your son’s. She did the same, studied abroad which was in Argentina for 6 months in her junior year.

She got her dream job being accepted in the Peace Corp last August and taking off to Ecuador next week for about 2 years (27 months with 3 months of training). I will miss her dearly but like her other 2 younger sisters they were born to travel!

Mainehunter
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Blond, burnette or red head?
Old shooting buddy now lives in Spain but he is in the northern part of the country. I Would like to go see the running of the bulls &bull fights but too many STUPID Americans have ruined it- his words not mine!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

What a fine opportunity. You have every right to be proud, Jay.
Little brother got to do a turn at Stanford's campus in England. He ended up becoming a liberal and a lawyer, but he still loves to hunt, so I try not to hold it against him!

:lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Barcelona is a very interesting city and like jeepnik said, good bars and great beer... :D
Y2K is a credit to you and Mrs YK, well done on bringing him up right but you know he'll still steal yer shootin' irons... :wink:
OldWin, I do like your description of England kind of "abroad light"... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If he wants to keep his grades up, he should leave the bars alone-a. Studying broads may be OK, but finding one with similar ideas and ethics helps.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Re: running of the bulls. It requires three things. Youth, testosterone and a lot of alcohol. If you watch you will never see an old guy do it.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:59 am Barcelona is a very interesting city and like jeepnik said, good bars and great beer... :D
Y2K is a credit to you and Mrs YK, well done on bringing him up right but you know he'll still steal yer shootin' irons... :wink:
Like that, GK? :D
He figured it would be easier with no language barrier. Little did he realize, there still was one!
He made some good friends there, and still keeps in touch. Great folks.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

OldWin wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:31 am
gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:59 am Barcelona is a very interesting city and like jeepnik said, good bars and great beer... :D
Like that, GK? :D
He figured it would be easier with no language barrier. Little did he realize, there still was one!
He made some good friends there, and still keeps in touch. Great folks.
How does that go? We are two separate countries divided by a common language.
I don't always think too good after a 10 hour night. Like Ted Williams said, "If you don't think too good don't think too much."
Congratulations Jay. Y'all did a fine job.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.