6.5 Creedmoor in Lever Action

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

6.5 Creedmoor in Lever Action

Post by Beaker »

I see Henry is introducing a long Ranger in Hornady's 6.5 Creedmoor. Very intriguing to me given the excellent ballistics of this cartridge. Course, to take advantage of the long range ballistics the rifle would most certainly have to be scoped. Does anyone have any experience with this caliber yet and/or any thoughts of a lever action in this caliber?
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor in Lever Action

Post by Beaker »

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

From a practical standpoint the 6.5 CM and the 260 are the same thing . I’ve shot a bunch of bolt actions for both cartridges and like them both . However if I’m footing the bill it’ll be a 260 for me .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No experience with the Long Ranger or the 6.5 Creedmore. It sounds like fun.

As far as the .260 goes, no experience there either. I would like to shoot one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Ive toyed with 6.5 but honestly, unless you are shooting past 500 yards, the 308 is a better round. Plus, 308 allows you to use heavier projectiles. The 6.5 maxes out around 140.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Looks like a good deer cartridge when chambered in the Henry lever action. How well is does, or could do at long range or any range over maybe 300 yds. depends on the accuracy and format the cartridge is chambered in. If I was looking at a great long range, or even mid range rifle, it wouldn't be a lever action repeater. I'd choose either a single shot, or a bolt action rifle for mid/long range accuracy.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:12 am Looks like a good deer cartridge when chambered in the Henry lever action. How well is does, or could do at long range or any range over maybe 300 yds. depends on the accuracy and format the cartridge is chambered in. If I was looking at a great long range, or even mid range rifle, it wouldn't be a lever action repeater. I'd choose either a single shot, or a bolt action rifle for mid/long range accuracy.
Being a left handed person, I find lever actions are much easier to use and much quicker to fire repeatedly and stay sighted on target. Bolt actions are extremely cumbersome to me and finding a left handed bolt action in a given caliber is near impossible and has low resale value. Most modern lever actions are much better in long range accuracy now. I have a .308 M1A but the 6.5 Creedmoor appears to have superior ballistics all around. This is why a lever action repeating rifle is appealing to me.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Lever action accuracy hasn't changed in over 100 years. It's simply a case of the way a lever action is made, and the tubular magazine. There's nothing modern makers can do that will make the lever action design any more accurate. That's not to say they aren't plenty accurate for all sorts of hunting, but they aren't long range target rifles, and can't get the accuracy that a bolt action or single shot does.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:28 am From a practical standpoint the 6.5 CM and the 260 are the same thing . I’ve shot a bunch of bolt actions for both cartridges and like them both . However if I’m footing the bill it’ll be a 260 for me .
+1

Mainehunter
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I prefer one in 260 also. But a 6.5 levergun sounds like fun for antelope. So I will probably have to put one on the list. When they did a questionaire last year I requested 260 or 6.5 Creedmoore for a new cartridge option.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm around this stuff all the time at our long range matches...never owned a CM but have shot other people's and probably have witnessed what they can do with many hundreds of rounds while spotting for my range partner from 100-1000 yards during matches.

I really don't know how the CM became famous while the just as good .260 has been with us a long time and even longer as a wildcat. Another misunderstanding by me is the 6.5 x 284....PITA cartridge....the 260 is mighty hard to beat...maybe the 6mm Dasher is superior....I've seen that in action at the Ridgeway 1000 yard matches.....defies gravity and wind.

The 6.5 CM in a levergun? Makes no sense. It's like putting a hemi in a Volkswagen that has street tires on it. I've yet to see a levergun ....ANY levergun that can outshoot a free floating..aluminum bedded, synthetic stocked bolt action....shot after shot while getting hot....... out there at real long range...500-1000 or more.

The purpose of the 6.5 CM is to take advantage of the huge ballistic coefficient like the VLD Berger bullets which show their design advantages starting at 600 yards..........in a levergun that starts to spray after a half dozen shots? .......6

But.....I ain't knocking Henry......even if they sell 50 rifles that will mean 50 less imported junk. Those guys are the only ones who duplicated Ruger....starting from nothing and getting big against all odds. My hat is off to Louis and Anthony Imperato. Made in the US of A.
Model A Uzi’s
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Funny how everyone is running to the Creedmoor when the 6.5X55 Swiss has been around for over 100 years. Maybe the Creedmoor is more suited to more modern bullets because of a difference in twist. I know a 6.5 penetrates like no tomorrow. I ordered one back when I had my FFL and shot it a few times. It went trough an 8" oak tree like a a hot knife through butter.
A 6.5 in a Ruger #1 International sure would be a prize.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Looks kind of like a straight grip BLR but with a Marlin-ish lever pivot pin. Nice rifle.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Rusty wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:24 am Funny how everyone is running to the Creedmoor when the 6.5X55 Swiss has been around for over 100 years. Maybe the Creedmoor is more suited to more modern bullets because of a difference in twist. I know a 6.5 penetrates like no tomorrow. I ordered one back when I had my FFL and shot it a few times. It went trough an 8" oak tree like a a hot knife through butter.
Exactly! It's tough to beat the old 6.5x55 Swede cartridge! They've been doing a wonderful job for all sorts of hunting, and fun shooting for numerous decades! In my opinion most ammo and gun makers come up with these new cartridges to sell more guns. And the 6.5 CM seems to be doing just as planned. Lots of hype around it, and I don't get it myself.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Rusty wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:24 am Funny how everyone is running to the Creedmoor when the 6.5X55 Swiss has been around for over 100 years. Maybe the Creedmoor is more suited to more modern bullets because of a difference in twist. I know a 6.5 penetrates like no tomorrow. I ordered one back when I had my FFL and shot it a few times. It went trough an 8" oak tree like a a hot knife through butter.
In a #1 think I’d rather have a #1A blued in 6.5x55 or 260 . I do have a CZ 550FS in 6.5x55 that shoots very well .
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

I came close purchasing a bolt action in 6.5 CM back when it first came out but there were problems with loose primers after just 2 reloads and at the time only Hornady was making the brass as fast as they can spit them out. The 6.5 and 6mm CM reminds me of the 300 Savage with its short neck, doesn’t cram the bullet inside the case as much so you won’t lose case volume and built primarily for long distance. The 6 CM and 6.5 CM is going strong and doesn’t look like it’s slowing down any time soon but if I had to choose, I’ll pick the trusty 243 Win. or 260 Rem in a heartbeat just because I have the brass and there’s decades of reloading info for them!
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Mainehunter wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:42 pm I came close purchasing a bolt action in 6.5 CM back when it first came out but there were problems with loose primers after just 2 reloads and at the time only Hornady was making the brass as fast as they can spit them out. The 6.5 and 6mm CM reminds me of the 300 Savage with its short neck, doesn’t cram the bullet inside the case as much so you won’t lose case volume and built primarily for long distance. The 6 CM and 6.5 CM is going strong and doesn’t look like it’s slowing down any time soon but if I had to choose, I’ll pick the trusty 243 Win. or 260 Rem in a heartbeat just because I have the brass and there’s decades of reloading info for them!

That is the big caveat for me: What is selling like hotcakes today may be another virtually forgotten and obsolete cartridge in 10 years or so. I am leery of jumping onto a fad bandwagon and have it go bust in a few years. That said, the 6.5 Creed looks good ballistically (on paper anyway), seems to have a lot of enthusiasts for it and has the interest of the military as a new long range sniper round, etc. It intrigues me as a long range round for a lever gun. Lever guns have improved. Are they now more accurate than a bolt gun? No, and likely never will be. I am one of those people who are not real compatible with bolt guns and much prefer a lever action. There are always trade offs in life. I notice most all other alternative cartridges mentioned here are very rare or about obsolete too. Unless one reloads and stockpiles the brass for those cartridges, they are not real practical choices. A 6.5 Creed intrigues me but only time will tell if that cartridge catches on and becomes widely adopted or is only a passing fad.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Beaker wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:59 pm
Mainehunter wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:42 pm I came close purchasing a bolt action in 6.5 CM back when it first came out but there were problems with loose primers after just 2 reloads and at the time only Hornady was making the brass as fast as they can spit them out. The 6.5 and 6mm CM reminds me of the 300 Savage with its short neck, doesn’t cram the bullet inside the case as much so you won’t lose case volume and built primarily for long distance. The 6 CM and 6.5 CM is going strong and doesn’t look like it’s slowing down any time soon but if I had to choose, I’ll pick the trusty 243 Win. or 260 Rem in a heartbeat just because I have the brass and there’s decades of reloading info for them!

That is the big caveat for me: What is selling like hotcakes today may be another virtually forgotten and obsolete cartridge in 10 years or so. I am leery of jumping onto a fad bandwagon and have it go bust in a few years. That said, the 6.5 Creed looks good ballistically (on paper anyway), seems to have a lot of enthusiasts for it and has the interest of the military as a new long range sniper round, etc. It intrigues me as a long range round for a lever gun. Lever guns have improved. Are they now more accurate than a bolt gun? No, and likely never will be. I am one of those people who are not real compatible with bolt guns and much prefer a lever action. There are always trade offs in life. I notice most all other alternative cartridges mentioned here are very rare or about obsolete too. Unless one reloads and stockpiles the brass for those cartridges, they are not real practical choices. A 6.5 Creed intrigues me but only time will tell if that cartridge catches on and becomes widely adopted or is only a passing fad.
The CM’s are no different from any other relatively new cartridge . If I was to buy a gun for either after initial range testing if I liked what I saw I’d then order 300-500 pieces of new brass and that should cover me for life problem solved .
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

The CM’s are no different from any other relatively new cartridge . If I was to buy a gun for either after initial range testing if I liked what I saw I’d then order 300-500 pieces of new brass and that should cover me for life problem solved .
[/quote]

Do You reload 6pt? That is fine for those that reload but for people like me who are not able to reload that is not an option. Also, I have found no private reloaders who can reload rare or niche calibers economically compared to factory loads or reloaders.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Beaker wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:30 pm The CM’s are no different from any other relatively new cartridge . If I was to buy a gun for either after initial range testing if I liked what I saw I’d then order 300-500 pieces of new brass and that should cover me for life problem solved .
Do You reload 6pt? That is fine for those that reload but for people like me who are not able to reload that is not an option. Also, I have found no private reloaders who can reload rare or niche calibers economically compared to factory loads or reloaders.
[/quote]

Yes I reload 95% of what I shoot . As to getting private individuals to load for you I doubt you’ll have much luck . A person puts themselves in a precarious position loading for others from a legal standpoint alone . And yes I’ve had many people say “oh if something happened I wouldn’t hold you responsible” . That’s great when they said it but after the fact people’s attitudes can change dramatically . And suppose the worst happens , family members ALWAYS want compensation . I load for several very very very close friends and it’s not in large quantities. I’ve had several more folks I know pretty well ask me to load a box for them and I either politely turn them down or give them a price they’re not going to be willing to pay . In my own situation I load for my own pleasure and to keep my old junk firing . Being bothered with others takes away from my own AND could possibly give me trouble down the road . When this subject pops up from time to time something you rarely read is about time involved . For instance hypothetically if I were to load for someone I’ll need there gun and a box or so of whatever bullet they wanna shoot , then I work up the load I may shoot the gun 50-100 times before I’m satisfied and most people don’t understand my reason for shooting that many times yada yada yada . So I’ve found it better for all involved not to load for a bunch of folks .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Beaker wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:30 pm I have found no private reloaders who can reload rare or niche calibers economically compared to factory loads or reloaders.
That is pretty much the whole thing in a nutshell . Nothing against folks wanting to save money . BUT the person that wants to save and wants me to load is pretty much saying load for FREE . “If” one loaded twenty rounds just at the cost of components it would be fairly cheap . But as I said before having someone come to me and saying load me twenty of this with blah blah blah at this COL , then I give them to them and after they say “they shot like stuff” and they’ll blame whoever did the loading . It isn’t worth the effort .
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

6pt-sika wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:21 pm
Beaker wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:30 pm I have found no private reloaders who can reload rare or niche calibers economically compared to factory loads or reloaders.
That is pretty much the whole thing in a nutshell . Nothing against folks wanting to save money . BUT the person that wants to save and wants me to load is pretty much saying load for FREE . “If” one loaded twenty rounds just at the cost of components it would be fairly cheap . But as I said before having someone come to me and saying load me twenty of this with blah blah blah at this COL , then I give them to them and after they say “they shot like stuff” and they’ll blame whoever did the loading . It isn’t worth the effort .
I agree with you Six Point. That is why I want to stick with "mainstream" or up and coming mainstream calibers. The rare or obsolete calibers are not worth the trouble unless one does their own reloading. I almost got into reloading a few years ago until my world and health were turned upside down. I still would like to but I no longer have the means and place to do that.

I do thank you all for your comments as I do want and value your opinions.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

6 Point.....well said......been there...done that....seldom a thank you, let alone the guy slipping ya an extra 5 for your troubles.---6

On the same note, an old buddy called last night to b.s. and wanted to stop over today for more b.s. en........somehow the subject of firewood came up and he told me he was OUT with an approaching storm coming. I said, "geeze, sorry to hear that as I'm also low, hoping to get through the season with seasoned wood." Then a minute later, he told me he remembered something else he had to do and that we would have to get together some other time. Phucking people...wonder why I hate em all so much anymore.---6
Model A Uzi’s
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

My thought, since I only hunt with lever action guns, there should be a lever action in every caliber.
Glad Henry is doing that. This fall will be the first time I hunt moose and bear with my Browning 300 Win Mag lever action.
Can't wait, anxious to see Henry's new gun.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

If they want to chamber the 6.5cm the single shot rifle maybe the best rifle for it. As for the long Ranger they need the 358 win. chambering!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

6pt-sika wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:18 pm I do have a CZ 550FS in 6.5x55 that shoots very well .
That is one of my "grail guns" one day will run into one at the right time and price.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

wolfdog wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:52 am
6pt-sika wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:18 pm I do have a CZ 550FS in 6.5x55 that shoots very well .
That is one of my "grail guns" one day will run into one at the right time and price.
We had ordered that gun for a customer who never would come and pay for it . So I paid our cost and took it home . It’s my understanding that the 550’s are history and they have a new model number designation . Dunno if it’s the 550 with minute changes or a totally new design .
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

In 6.5 I'll stick with the 6.5X55. Does what I need it to do. I'm not easily sidetracked by the new, gotta have, "bright shinny stuff".