First Lever Action Recommendations!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
clemsondds
Levergunner

First Lever Action Recommendations!

Post by clemsondds »

Hello! New to the site...excited about the future. Planning to get my first lever action. I have quite a few other guns but I have just never purchased a lever action. Would love to hear what everyone would recommend as their top pick if they could only have one lever action. I have all kinds of guns and have been shooting since i was a kid. I am leaning towards Henry but have heard good things about Marlin and Winchester as well. So I would like to nail down brand and caliber. This gun will mainly just be used for target practice. I might take it deer hunting, but that would probably be a one time deal. Thanks again!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: First Lever Action Recommendations!

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the campfire, if you hang around here long enough you'll own more than one brand and caliber...... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

WELCOME!

All 3 makes are very good. Although the jury is still out on the newer Marlins ( Remington) but the older guns are just fine. Some guys dont like the loading procedure for the Henry's through the mag tube it's easier to unload. The Winchester guns have seen marked price increases but good honest guns are available.
I'm sure you will hear from the guys on pros & cons of each make soon .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

If only one?? For a centerfire I would pick a .357mag/.38spc. They are excellent all around guns for target shooting up to taking deer. Henry's are an excellent choice worth considering,good quality and customer service. Course you also will want a rimfire and then the 30/30 ect. Nobody can have just one levergun.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

What's your budget?

If we are going to help you spend your money, we need to know how much we need to spend! :D

Wm.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I don't know where you live, but if your "clemsondds" moniker means SC, I would recommend beginning a tour of pawn shops in the area and looking for solid used older Marlin or Winchester rifles. There have to be literally thousands of them in Clemson, Anderson, Greenville, Easley, etc., etc. You'll find a wide array of Model 336 and Model 1894 centerfire rifles as well as a few .22s of both makes. The centerfires will run anywhere from $250 0n up with the .22 versions a bit pricier. Plenty of folks like the Henrys, but while I can't really say anything bad about them the older Marlins and Winchesters represent a better value to me.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the fire !

(I suspect there's another doctor in the house ;) )

With target shooting as a primary levergun use, I would say that the least expensive course would be to invest in one of the better quality .22LR rifles.

Mossberg makes one that's a mirror image of their .30-30 levergun, should you decide you like a levergun and want to move up to a centerfire for hunting or longer range target shooting with an almost identical rifle.

Marlin has discontinued the classic .22LR Model 39A, but there are many excellent used M-39a's out there - and as above, Marlin also makes leverguns in both rifle (long cartridges) and pistol (short cartridges) chamberings.

Winchester also discontinued a very high quality .22LR levergun (with many excellent/used available) in their Model 9422 - and naturally also have CF leverguns.

I would respectfully suggest that you travel to more than a few gunshops, of gun departments (Cabela's, BassPro, etc) and actually eyeball & handle the various makes to see which floats your boat.

HAPPY NEW YEAR ! !

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:37 pm Welcome to the campfire, if you hang around here long enough you'll own more than one brand and caliber...... :D
Or make, style, vintage, centerfire/rimfire, powder vs air, etc.

John is so right! We're a great bunch of enablers here!

Don't come here to discuss "need" though -- a "want" or "would like" is all that's required for justification. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old No7 wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:24 pm
Don't come here to discuss "need" though -- a "want" or "would like" is all that's required for justification. :wink:

Shucks, we'll even take "I was dreaming of ………" ! ! :mrgreen:

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

You will get more shooting accomplished with a .22, I recommend Marlin 39A first, Henry a close second. Winchesters are getting VERY expensive.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

clemsondds wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:07 pmHello! New to the site...excited about the future. Planning to get my first lever action. I have quite a few other guns but I have just never purchased a lever action. Would love to hear what everyone would recommend as their top pick if they could only have one lever action. I have all kinds of guns and have been shooting since i was a kid. I am leaning towards Henry but have heard good things about Marlin and Winchester as well. So I would like to nail down brand and caliber. This gun will mainly just be used for target practice. I might take it deer hunting, but that would probably be a one time deal. Thanks again!
1st & foremost... Image and Welcome to THE Forum.

I could, and have on several occasions written rather lengthy diatribes on the various attributes of a number of leverguns. But... a few questions need answerin' before anyone can really give you any type of sound recommendation. As in... what type of target practice... what ranges, where deer hunting? Then, there's the ever present 900 lb. gorilla in the room... do you reload? Do ya cast? Are ya dead set on American made? Or are foreign replicas in the mix? I could go on, for a while yet, but... as our recently departed curmudgeon would say if I can paraphrase... ya ain't given us enough info to give ya an answer.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you had said you wanted to hunt mostly, I'd go with 44 Mag or 45 Colt Marlin, Henry, Rossi, or Winchester. Big holes, easy to find ammo, and decent prices. Marlin my personal favorite but I scope some of my leverguns. Henry's USA made also, and very well made much like Marlins, but more 'boxy' physically. Rossi's are cheaper but 'shooter-grade' versions of Winchesters, both of which have lots of little parts but are ever-so-slick.

If you want authentic and don't mind reloading, a 44-40 or 38-40 version is plenty powerful for most game. They also supposedly feed best due to the tapered case more along the original design.

If you want most-versatile, a 357 Mag good enough for deer with right bullet/load, and can load light/cheap for plinking or instructing newbies, plus lots of revolvers as 'companion guns' are available.

If you want most-fun-plinking and reload, a 32-20 if you can find one - think halfway between 357 Mag and 22 WMR.

If you want lots of high-volume plinking, and target shooting and the occasional backyard varmint, a 22 LR.

Then there are the true 'rifle' chamberings.....30-30, 35 Rem, 444 Marlin, 45-70, and dozens of other original hyphenated ones out there. For a 'first levergun' it would be hard to beat any of them but 30-30 is kind of the Gold Standard.

If you like non-traditional and want a long-pointy-bullet round, look at the Henry Long Range Leverguns (look similar to the Browning BLR) in 243 or e08 whatever, but then you really just have a bolt-action varmint-rifle that happens to have a lever, so if it is your "first levergun" I'd look at something else if you want the flavor of a 'true' levergun.

Another non-traditional IF you can find them is the Ruger 96, in 17 HMR, 22 LR, 22 WMR, and/or 44 Magnum; box magazine, easily scoped, short lever-throw, and easy to clean if you 'mud' them (taking the forend off a traditional levergun and getting it back on is a bear).

Good luck - you'll pretty soon have dozens of leverguns and sell all your bolt-actions, pumps, and semiautos.... :lol:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Henry would be my last choice.
Overpriced and ugly.
Spend the money on a vintage Marlin or Winchester. Or buy a used Browning or new Winchester made by miroku.

The caliber you choose will help narrow the field some.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hi, these guys are nuts but very very nice and they know their stuff.
Enjoy, oh and Winchester's of course!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A very great deal of the time and old, ugly gun is cheap and will no doubt shoot great after you clean it up. If you want a deer rifle, I'd look for an old Winchester 94 or old Marlin 336.
Otherwise, a .22 will do nicely.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

When I became old enough to start buying guns I was told to pick a caliber then buy the gun. Then go smaller or larger. So buy a 38/357 then get a 22 then a 45 Colt then a 25-20 then a 44 then a 30-30 ,45-70 ...see where this is going? :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Welcome, lots of good info already posted, from .22lr -.457 WildWest lots of options. Good luck on the decision but beware they additive and seem to multiply.
It is not the critic who counts
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

In MY opinion which usually worth exactly what you paid for it EVERY GUN GUY SHOULD OWN AT LEAST ONE WINCHESTER MODEL 94 IN 30-30. You haven’t experienced gun culture or gun history until you have become intimately associated with one. If this is your first levergun go for the classic. Doesn’t have to be a big money highly collectible 94, lots of mid 1970’s 94’s out there for under $400 and they just shoot, and they do it well. After that come back and see us for recommendations on the next 15 or 20 you NEED :shock:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
clemsondds
Levergunner

Post by clemsondds »

Thanks for the tips everyone! Maybe I should have left it at, if you could only have one...what would it be and why. I'm just gathering up information right now. Then I'll start going to stores and narrowing it down. I think for my first one I just want the most classic, all around lever action. Maybe a Winchester 30-30 or the Marlin 1894 44mag.
Budget isn't really an issue. I would just like my first one to be the most classic and versatile...then I'll branch out from there. But I would like one of high quality that I can pass on. Thanks again!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

clemsondds wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:14 am Thanks for the tips everyone! Maybe I should have left it at, if you could only have one...what would it be and why.
Funny you should ask. A while back I decided to get back in the shooting sports and asked the same thing. I only wanted one gun, so I picked a lever action Rossi 1892 in 357 magnum. lever action because they are slimline, unobtrusive, quickhandling, easy to scabbard on a bike/horse or pull from behind a seat in the truck. There are faster actions once the bullets are flying but to get into action they are one of the fastest. 357 is a great all rounder, it can take 38 special, loaded down with 2 grain loads you can plink for years on 1 can of powder. At high power it will take medium game, its knocking at the door of the 30-30. I only shoot hogs but it would probably harvest anything you need in a survival situation. 357 magnum also weighs about the same as 223, you can packs about 200 rounds more into a 50 cal can if bugging out is on the cards. I chose Rossi 92 for a few reasons. Its one of the slimmest and lightest lever actions made, can handle high pressures, side gate loading so can be topped up on the move, affordable, brazilian made but they did a pretty good job on it. its not available for longer cartridges like 30-30. I'm only a novice compared to most the guys on this thread but you wanted a viewpoint about owning only one and that I do :)
Last edited by mickbr on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

clemsondds wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:14 am ... I think for my first one I just want the most classic, all around lever action. Maybe a Winchester 30-30 or the Marlin 1894 44mag.
Couldn't go wrong with either one. I will say, however, that having both, the Marlin 1894 44Mag would be my choice if I could only have one of them. I can't really explain why, but to me, the 44 is just more fun to shoot. But you can't get any more classic than a Winchester 30-30!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

fordwannabe wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:08 am In MY opinion which usually worth exactly what you paid for it EVERY GUN GUY SHOULD OWN AT LEAST ONE WINCHESTER MODEL 94 IN 30-30. You haven’t experienced gun culture or gun history until you have become intimately associated with one. If this is your first levergun go for the classic. Doesn’t have to be a big money highly collectible 94, lots of mid 1970’s 94’s out there for under $400 and they just shoot, and they do it well. After that come back and see us for recommendations on the next 15 or 20 you NEED :shock:
Yep , i agree on this. My buddy let me shoot his winny in a 30-30. smooth action and a natural pointer. I tried to buy if off him and he was a no go. :cry: I already had a marlin 30-30 so i bought a new 1873 winny in 44-40 rifle. the older winny is the way to go but nothing wrong with the ones out of japan. like he said, they are pricey. i paid 1200.00 for mine. That was the middle of the road price for that model. It had the full length mag. I don't like the looks of button mags.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
PatientWolf
Levergunner

Post by PatientWolf »

I would have to say my ‘92s are much smoother than my ‘94s and 1895.

I would suggest you also consider adding Rossi to your list and Browning (if you can find one).

1 gun, that can be passed down; plinking and possibly for deer...
I’d look at a Rossi 92 in .357, followed by a new 1894 CST or a Henry in .357.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

fordwannabe wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:08 am In MY opinion which usually worth exactly what you paid for it EVERY GUN GUY SHOULD OWN AT LEAST ONE WINCHESTER MODEL 94 IN 30-30. You haven’t experienced gun culture or gun history until you have become intimately associated with one. If this is your first levergun go for the classic. Doesn’t have to be a big money highly collectible 94, lots of mid 1970’s 94’s out there for under $400 and they just shoot, and they do it well. After that come back and see us for recommendations on the next 15 or 20 you NEED :shock:
Nailed it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Most classic ... Model 92 in the original calibers. More practical with an air of classic ... 92 in .357. The last I bought was a Trapper length, 16", quickly a new favorite. Mine is a Rossi . You can get a really slick one from Stevez Guns. Savage 99s are very classic. 94 in 30-30 is certainly a classic.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:22 am
fordwannabe wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:08 amIn MY opinion which usually worth exactly what you paid for it EVERY GUN GUY SHOULD OWN AT LEAST ONE WINCHESTER MODEL 94 IN 30-30. You haven’t experienced gun culture or gun history until you have become intimately associated with one. If this is your first levergun go for the classic. Doesn’t have to be a big money highly collectible 94, lots of mid 1970’s 94’s out there for under $400 and they just shoot, and they do it well. After that come back and see us for recommendations on the next 15 or 20 you NEED :shock:
Nailed it.
Yep, given your second set of parameters, Tom pointed you in the right direction.

IMO, the std. 20" carbine is the epitome of "classic levergun"; but if you like to add elegant to the description, a 26" octagon barreled Winchester mdl 94 adds that appellation in spades. Then, just to be that one degree of separation from the masses, for sheer sportiness, (some would say "naughty sexiness"), a 16" Trapper is a level of fun that is hard to describe.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

There it is Griff........ the reason I ended up buying one of those Legendary Lawmen trappers.
Cool stuff!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Welcome!
I own way too many but my opinion is classic means Winchester. Classic cowboy means saddle ring carbine. '92 or '73? Recently I got the urge for a '73 SRC in 44-40 that had a decent bore so I could make it my "truck gun". Old Winchesters are too pricey to beat up but the Miroku made ones say Winchester on them and are quite well made so I bought one. Found an online deal for less than a grand. You just can't get any more traditional than that. I put a Marbles tang sight on it and am more than satisfied. It is very accurate and the caliber will take any deer, bear or hog you are apt to run into (except grizzly). A '92 is a little lighter and slimmer to handle though.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I dunno what your parameters are but I personally don’t buy post 63 Winchester’s except for resale , if I wanna keep them they better be pre 64 . As to Marlins I only buy pre Remington ones and generally I prefer pre 1973 for my 444’s and pre 1920 for unscoped variations . But then everything I buy anymore regardless of whether I use it or not I buy for investment potential .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

I thought I would throw my opinion, I pick caliber, 30-30 box of ammo can be had for less than a dollar a round i dont reload, It will dispatch hog, deer, bear, with one round. Winchester, Marlin, Henry, all great guns. I have all 3, all modern no pre 64 or pre Remington. I like te winchesters best. Got the trapper and 20 inch both for less than $400. Paid more for the marlin and henry. Both winchester are angle eject with crossbolt safety. I like the safety. We hunt with hounds game usually trees or bay in the thickest thicket or Swamp, we go through really thick brush, so thick I will pull things out of your pockets. My wife likes the marlin. Henry is nice, but if the o ring on feed tube gives up it will eject on recoil, not good if you dont have spare in your pocket. Every one on this forum has great knowledge, and all all happy to help.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Plottman wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:48 am I thought I would throw my opinion, I pick caliber, 30-30 box of ammo can be had for less than a dollar a round i dont reload, It will dispatch hog, deer, bear, with one round. Winchester, Marlin, Henry, all great guns. I have all 3, all modern no pre 64 or pre Remington. I like te winchesters best. Got the trapper and 20 inch both for less than $400. Paid more for the marlin and henry. Both winchester are angle eject with crossbolt safety. I like the safety. We hunt with hounds game usually trees or bay in the thickest thicket or Swamp, we go through really thick brush, so thick I will pull things out of your pockets. My wife likes the marlin. Henry is nice, but if the o ring on feed tube gives up it will eject on recoil, not good if you dont have spare in your pocket. Every one on this forum has great knowledge, and all all happy to help.
8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I wouldn't rule out the Italian made clones either! Uberti has some pretty nice guns that are affordable, and have very good reviews. An 1873 Winchester clone would be fun, and very nice looking gun too.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
clemsondds
Levergunner

Post by clemsondds »

Ok I think you guys have talked me into narrowing down my search to a Winchester 30-30. Which years and barrel length should I look for? Also, can you guys recommend some good places to look for one? Thank you again!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

As to what Barrel length? The 20 inch is in my opinion the classic, and I love’em. I also like the 26 inchers, but not as handy if you want to go hunting. Winchester 94 in 30-30 pre-1964 is preferable but bring a premium. They feel good though. Right around 1964 they had a couple issues but by the late 60’s were pretty well ironed out. I personally am not a big fan of the angle eject versions, but know several people who have them and love them( don’t like chevies either but there are those who do). Do they have pawn shops in your area? Or Cabela’s? You said you have other guns do you have a working relationship with a local gun shop? If not ask around your area about who is honest, then go introduce yourself and let them know what you are looking for. In all honesty the search for the “next one” is half the fun for me. You are on the right track with your questions.
Good luck.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
lever1886
Levergunner

Post by lever1886 »

If you plan to do quite a bit of shooting get a pistol caliber lever action. If you reload get a 44 mag and you can shoot light loads for plinking and full tilt loads for hunting.
If you don't reload get a 357magnum and you can shoot inexpensive 38 special reloads for plinking and full power loads for hunting.

If you have kids they will love shooting either the 357 magnum or 44 magnum lever actions. I have a 30/30 marlin and it never gets used for plinking as everyone prefers the 44 mag or shooting 38 specials. Every time we go shooting a pistol caliber lever action comes along and gets used. Nothing wrong with the new Remington Marlin 1894 rifles in 44 magnum or the 1894C in 357 magnum.

Hands down that is the best choice for your first lever gun. You will shoot it a lot and it will put a smile on your face every time.
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1894
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I think you made the right choice for your first. If you never buy another (GASP!), you will be best served with that caliber/rifle combination. You WILL buy more, though.
For a first, I'd definitely go with a 20" carbine.
The best quality, fit, and finish, will be the pre-war examples. However, they will be pricey unless they have issues and probably won't be drilled and tapped for a receiver sight.
The post war, pre 64 will be your best bet if you want an older one.
If you want one you don't want to be afraid to use, and price us an issue, I'd buy a post 64 from about 1975-1981. These examples usually look pretty good fit and finish wise, have the cast lifter, and are usually good shooters.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Pretty hard to beat a Winchester 94 (pre 64) or a waffletop marlin. Caliber... 30-30 of course.
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

lever1886 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:45 pm If you plan to do quite a bit of shooting get a pistol caliber lever action. If you reload get a 44 mag and you can shoot light loads for plinking and full tilt loads for hunting.
If you don't reload get a 357magnum and you can shoot inexpensive 38 special reloads for plinking and full power loads for hunting.

If you have kids they will love shooting either the 357 magnum or 44 magnum lever actions. I have a 30/30 marlin and it never gets used for plinking as everyone prefers the 44 mag or shooting 38 specials. Every time we go shooting a pistol caliber lever action comes along and gets used. Nothing wrong with the new Remington Marlin 1894 rifles in 44 magnum or the 1894C in 357 magnum.

Hands down that is the best choice for your first lever gun. You will shoot it a lot and it will put a smile on your face every time.
https://www.marlinfirearms.com/lever-action/model-1894
+1 8)

I started out with a 30/30 first. But for the most use for target shooting , plinking , silhouette shooting etc. alone or with friends the .357 gets used much more often and is the clear favorite by all. A 10 round magazine capacity and the choice of .38 spc to hot .357 loads and the low price of the ammo make the .357 a very versatile choice for plinking, target shooting and deer hunt up to 100-150 yards.
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

I just realized I've been hauling my 94 with me out in the sticks for 20 years as of last year - and I still love it.

The 94 is sleek, reliable, unobtrusive.
And in 30-30... Literally made with one another in mind.
Decent power you can shoot often that won't kill the shoulder.
Moderate range perfectly suited for usable energy.

It's been my favorite tote around rifle/steel plinker above all others enough that I got into reloading because of it.

The results of reloading for a 94 in 30-30 for me personally, was a trifecta of awesomeness.

Mine is a 1976 bi-centennial, 20" barrel.
My first child - '94 30-30
clemsondds
Levergunner

Post by clemsondds »

Thank you all for your awesome feedback!! I truly appreciate it!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I like the mdl 94s made in the 1930 the very best... I'm not a big fan of saddle rings... next come the early 1950s... pre '53, as after that they were drilled & tapped for a receiver sight... nothing wrong with those, it's just that it means two holes that need filling. After those, probably my favorite using guns are the late 1970s to 1982... the last of "Winchester" made Winchesters. The two that're kept loaded in the safe for varmint control are a 1978 20" carbine and my 16" 1967 Canadian Centennial that someone altered into a Trapper...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

The commemorative editions of the Winchester 94s don’t garner much of a premium and generally have great fit and finish as compared to the other 70s Winnies. Most were not shot a bunch. Not that that matters. Gunbroker, under completed auctions has quite a few that sold between $500-$700.

One thing to note about the Win 94 is that it’s loose. Not all tight like some other designs. It’s not a flaw.

My personal favorite is a prewar 1892 in 32-20. Smoothlikebutta
The 1886 is too but in larger calibers.
I have a 357 Rossi 92 that’s as slick as my older one, but that took a bit of work by Hagler using Steve’s Gunz parts and dvd.

Good luck shopping. Keep us posted.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com