how would you like walking up on this

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

how would you like walking up on this

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Saw it trying to cross a logging road. .........4.5 feet long.
You normally dont see them out this time of year...but it was fairly warm out.
20181231_131249_resized.jpg
20181231_131258_resized.jpg
20181231_131440_resized.jpg
it was upset...
Also saw 3 does and a spike buck.....and apparently the rut is still on down here in Ocala National Forest.
Very active this morning. Tons of birds, Bald Eagle, sand hill cranes.....what a racket they make, egrets,
even bats at the end of the day
this guy was in a hurry
20181231_131726_resized.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: how would you like walking up on this

Post by Sixgun »

Don't like em rihmfire.....at all.....I walked up on one a few years back in Centre County, drew the flattop 44 and killed it. I don't like regular snakes either but I let them be.... if it's poisonous, I'll kill it. Pretty much goes for anything poisonous....there's some people like that too.....some things were brought to life with the intention of catching some hot lead in their future.

Now, the turtle! He's cool...even those nasty snappers...for some reason, I like all turtles...and birds, and most animals, but the serpent is a nasty creation.....

I came down the driveway last spring and this bugger was trying to make it over the fence to get to the pond..I carefully lifted him over....must have weighed 40 pounds.---The Count

Model A Uzi’s
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I have and do not like it. Agree with 6, only good poisonous snake is a dead one and even then be careful.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Oh I like to see rattle snakes, especially when I spot them before stepping on them. I never kill one: I figure maybe he'll bite a jogger.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

earlmck wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:46 am Oh I like to see rattle snakes, especially when I spot them before stepping on them. I never kill one: I figure maybe he'll bite a jogger.
I think that is a good enough reason to let 'em be…. :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

this is where I was sitting, 20' up in a summit climber on the edge of a prairie.
Florida Trail runs along one side of the prairie....only one older hippie hiker passed by.
Scared the you know what out of him when I told him to pee somewhere else.
20181231_085926_resized.jpg
20181231_085933_resized.jpg
Winchester Model 70 3006 1978
20181231_090009_resized.jpg
one doe came from the island of oaks
20181231_165659_HDR_resized.jpg
20181231_165640_HDR_resized.jpg
The yellow grass is almost 6' high
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Sixgun wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:58 pm Don't like em rihmfire.....at all.....I walked up on one a few years back in Centre County, drew the flattop 44 and killed it. I don't like regular snakes either but I let them be.... if it's poisonous, I'll kill it. Pretty much goes for anything poisonous....there's some people like that too.....some things were brought to life with the intention of catching some hot lead in their future.

Now, the turtle! He's cool...even those nasty snappers...for some reason, I like all turtles...and birds, and most animals, but the serpent is a nasty creation.....

I came down the driveway last spring and this bugger was trying to make it over the fence to get to the pond..I carefully lifted him over....must have weighed 40 pounds.---The Count
Those guys can get big.....no skinny dipping in the pond now
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I don't mind rattlesnakes, but at the southern house, we have too many Mojave greens. What can be more fun than a rattlesnake with both neurotoxin and hemotoxin? They seen to want to be next to the house, we have found three next to the garage door in the exact same spot over a two month period. They seem to die rather quickly were the Diamondbacks just get relocated up the mountain.
Rattler.JPG
One of the other insects we have in abundance that I gather around the house to help keep them out. The rattlesnakes make walking around at night much more exciting.

attachment=0]Collection.jpg[/attachment]
Last edited by Paladin on Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is not the critic who counts
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I would feel relieved that I saw him before he took an interest in me...…. that's how I'd feel!

Wm

P.S. That is at least two and maybe three hat bands long! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Paladin wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:14 am I don't mind rattlesnakes, but at the southern house, we have too many Mojave greens. What can be more fun than a rattlesnake with both neurotoxin and hemotoxin? They seen to want to be next to the house, we have found three next to the garage door in the exact same spot over a two month period. They seem to die rather quickly were the Diamondbacks just get relocated up the mountain.
Paladin...you have mighty big testicles........I had to look up what a Mohave green was and I see they are the most potent of rattlesnakes........living in Pa for 64 years must have turned me into a big puss i.e. I like walking around the yard at nighttime in slippers....but I guess you don't do that there. :D ---The Count
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am not a fan of venomous snakes. If a snake tries to get away when I get close, or it gets close to me, it usually lives. If it gets aggressive, well, that is an entirely different situation. We have lots of these small snakes around which are sort of chocolate brown on top and cream or yellow on the underside. Non venomous. The dogs occasionally get one to play with, but they are free to do what they do otherwise. A garden hoe is pretty good at dispatching snakes, as is a long handled shovel with the front of the shovel head sharpened real well.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

m.A.g.a. !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Paladin, our two locals are the Western diamondback and the black-tailed rattlesnake -- which climbs brush and trees. We are on the fringe of Mojave green range and I hope to never encounter one. Nearly as toxic as the cobra genus.
I am trying to do mental exercises to get more even-keeled about these useful critters, but then somebody shows me something like this ...

https://www.geek.com/news/watch-texas-m ... d-1767469/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've lived on my property here in central Fla for 35 years and have never seen a rattler. I have seen quite a few black snake though. We have water all around and I've always been surprised we haven't seen any moccasins, those are the one I worry about the most as they can be aggressive.

Six, you should have kept that snapper. They're good eating. There's 7 different kinds of meat in them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yes Rusty...I've heard that.....I've seen them twice that size......one time my nephew caught one where the shell was two feet across. His head was about the size of a small 🏀 basketball!

Ahhh,,, they stink something terrible...back before the seventies, local restaurants would buy them but I guess they have a better....non stinkable version out....maybe farm bred. 🐢---The Count
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I used to walk up to rattlers with nothing more that a 2' breaker bar, a good whack behind the head does the trick. It dont wreck the skin or ruin any meat.
Now a Bull snake theres a different critter! Only snake I've seen that kills out of anger. And they eat rattlesnakes so ya know they are tough animals.
Last summer on my way home from the gun club after shooting a match I noticed something coming out of the grill, about a 2' black snake had crawled up into the engine compartment and made the 63 mile trip home. When I stopped for the mail it crawled out and away it went.
I have had a burmese python, red tail boa, 2 rainbow boat, king snake and a Kenya sand boa.
Also- hogsnakes do a good rattle snake imitation. They can buzz their tail but dont have rattles.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
MingoKid
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MingoKid »

I'd probably need some fresh chones! My Dad was bitten by an eastern diamondback when I was 5-6 years old at the time. That kinda skewed my perception of rattleheadedcoppermoccosins!
I know not what the future holds, but I know who holds the future!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Man, that snake would have made a classy backing for a stick bow!
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Rattle snakes out in the woods do not bother me, I leave them be if they leave me be, which is almost always the case. At the house is a different matter as I like my dogs and do not want to deal with one getting snake bit.
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

We live and hunt close to ocala national forest, where we live we have swamp behind dog kennels. Probably 5 to 9 moccasins in kennels every year and lots of pygmy rattlesnakes. Dogs hate them, several dogs bitten every year. Their bites are not fatal. The diamond backs are fatal. Usually kill dogs before you can get to them. We don't like them, make us mad if they escape.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd still rather walk upon rattlers than wake up next to the Hildabeast!!!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

There is a law in Montana that snakes must die. It says something like if you see a snake in the open or on the road you have the right to both go your own way BUT if you are picking something up or in the wood pile or heaven forbid at the foot of the steps near the house they must be kilt. Well at least I think it was a law, erh, well it’s how I interpreted it.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

I kill every snake I see. When out in the ranch I always pack my Smith & Wesson M-36 stoked with shotshells I make myself. There's no such thing as a "good" or "pretty" or "pet" snake.
This is from 2 weeks ago.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

6 or 8 years ago I was hiking/camping alone thru a wilderness following a growed over trail with bushes and tall grass. Out of corner of my eye I saw something strike at my boot. Looking down I saw that my left hiking pole had pinned a small rattler to the ground .. I jumped as far down the trail as I could .. No problems.. Then 10 miles from the closest road in a rugged mountain range without cell phone reception I was traversing a boulder field with 50lb back pack and slipped on a wet rock and got my backside wedged tight between boulders. As I struggled to get up I heard 2 or more rattlers down under the rocks.. Freeked me out. As quick as I could I extracted myself from the backpack and got on my feet. .I got the backpack back on and beat a hasty exit on down the trail. .I wonder if I would have made it out alive had I been bitten hours from the nearest road.
Friend/ Ranger told me that a woman died from the bite of a pygmy rattler at local lake within mere minutes drive to local hospital... I don't know the truth but it does make you think .
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

I must say that you guys here are a close knit group that will never let a new guy in. I am perhaps 70% as edumacated in lever actions and reloading as the real experts here.....I don't rate high but I have some experience.. But I get no replies to my posts nor any respect.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I find that a shame on our part AlphaWolf! For the record a lot of the 'old' guys are very decent folks. I'm a relative newcomer, about 2 years here and I've been taken in with open arms for the most part. Even though I've never actually met any of these guys in person I have made friends here. Some private correspondence happens but for the most part it's there for all to read.
Stop by the M1 campfire and introduce yourself, share a bit - tell a few jokes whatever! Jump in with both feet.. :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Alphawolf45, I used to live for your posts on scratch built firearms.

They really made my day and you shared all the info with pictures.

Go ahead and pick back up. I bet most everyone are really longing for them, if only to put theirselves in your work.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge with us.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Plottman wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:03 am We live and hunt close to ocala national forest, where we live we have swamp behind dog kennels. Probably 5 to 9 moccasins in kennels every year and lots of pygmy rattlesnakes. Dogs hate them, several dogs bitten every year. Their bites are not fatal. The diamond backs are fatal. Usually kill dogs before you can get to them. We don't like them, make us mad if they escape.
Hey Plottman
Do you hunt pipeline over by Paisley or over by Astor?
Still hunted there , Paisley side, this past weekend as well.
Its fun watching dogs chase deer though the swamps....

But this group of dogs kept back tracking....and the deer, Does, were long gone.
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
NC Long Rifle
Levergunner

Post by NC Long Rifle »

Back when my Dad was alive (he died in 2000), I would bush hog our river bottoms with his old 1949 IH tractor and a 5ft Woods trailer type mower. I always carried a Browning Buckmark .22 pistol on my hip. It was bad medicine for copperheads and other snakes that I encountered in the heavy brush that grew each year. My Dad would often swing underneath an old Oak tree in the backyard and listen to me mowing. When he was there when I was calling it a day I would roll up and swing with him a while and talk about this and that. One day he said; "I can tell when you are shootin' at a copperhead and not a black or green snake." "How is that" I asked. "Because" he said, "when you are shooting at something other than a copperhead, you rattle off quick shots.
When you are shooting at a copperhead, your shots are slow and spaced out because you are taking careful aim." I got a good laugh out of that because he was right. When I saw a copperhead, I would always stop the tractor and rest the pistol on the rear tire and take careful aim.

I am still using that H tractor but I did have to replace that mower. Every time I crank it, I think of my Dad. I still miss him.
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

RIHMFIRE, We usually hunt west of 19 and south of 40. Really like to go during the fox trials.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:35 am I'd still rather walk upon rattlers than wake up next to the Hildabeast!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

That ... is a lot of turtle.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.