Pictures - Rossi 92 "Winchester 1892" Stainless

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Pictures - Rossi 92 "Winchester 1892" Stainless

Post by rbertalotto »

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/thi ... t-go-bang/

removed the saddle ring and drilled and tapped the holes for cap screws

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Pictures - Rossi 92 "Winchester 1892" Stainless

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice!! I wish I still had mine.. :oops:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Where's the wing safety? Was it removed, welded-up?

Really nice lookin lever!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Maybe it's one that was made before the bolt safety idea the geniuses at Rossi dreamt up. My 44-40 is also all stainless SRC without bolt safety.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

This rifle is pre safety
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Nice lookin' rifle and you did a great job getting that saddle ring off of there. Some interesting wood on 'er too.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Jeff H
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jeff H »

Very nice.
Makes me want another, but in stainless.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I took it to the range last night. What a great , fast handling, little rifle. Comes to shoulder very nice and is quite accurate. With iron sights, 25yds I could keep all shots within 8" from a standing, off-hand position.

45LC, Lee 255g bullet of Wheel Weight, 6.2g Green Dot powder.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

The wood on that rifle is really good looking in my opinion.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Thanks! It's a bit on the orange side which gives it a bit of old world look, although the Stainless Steel negates that!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

rbertalotto wrote:I took it to the range last night. What a great , fast handling, little rifle. Comes to shoulder very nice and is quite accurate. With iron sights, 25yds I could keep all shots within 8" from a standing, off-hand position.

8" off hand @ 25 yards? You need some practice ... lots of it. Now get back out there and git with it.

OBTW, what kind of load is 6.2grs of Green Dot? I don't have any data for it handy.
The Rossi I had liked standard pressure and up a bit type loads. It didn't like the cowboy loads one bit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

That 6.2 load of Green Dot is a load I found in one of the loading guides. A friend gave me 16 pounds of Green Dot a few years ago and I've been using it in 45ACP, 38 Special and 45LC for plinking rounds. Very clean and quite accurate with recoil like a 22 Magnum. Fun to shoot.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

NICE CARBINE !!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH IT THAT NICE SADDLE RING WOULDN'T FIX......

GOT ONE JUST LIKE IT IN THE SAME SERIES BUT MY SERIAL NUMBER IS IN THE MIDDLE 200 RANGE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You did yer usual excellent work there, Roy - I like the way the color of the stocks work with the color of that stainless, and it's part of a Limited Edition, to boot !

rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Thanks!

But I bought it to convert it to a Take-Down so it would fit on my motorcycle for deer hunting. Part of the plan is to GunKote it once finished. Stainless steel rifles look like Luke Skywalkers light saber in the early morning out in the deer woods. But it is pretty as it is. Maybe I'll just wrap it with camo tape...........
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Ah, I didn't know they had stainless that were pre-wing.

The only thing I would do to that carbine is grind the front sight off and istall a dovetail one on the barrel. Then, it would be perfect. :)

But it is really slick looking as-is. I love the contrast between the wood and the stainless.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

The only thing I would do to that carbine is grind the front sight off and istall a dovetail one on the barrel.
I'd like to do this, but there isn't enough meat in the muzzle to cut a dovetail.

I might solder a ramp (if there is some way to solder SS) or use a super adhesive to attach a ramp. I want (need) a fiber optic front sight for hunting.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

rbertalotto wrote:I took it to the range last night. What a great , fast handling, little rifle. Comes to shoulder very nice and is quite accurate. With iron sights, 25yds I could keep all shots within 8" from a standing, off-hand position.

That rifle will shoot a whole he-- of a lot better than 8" at 25YRDS. 1886
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

rbertalotto wrote:
The only thing I would do to that carbine is grind the front sight off and install a dovetail one on the barrel.
I'd like to do this, but there isn't enough meat in the muzzle to cut a dovetail.

I might solder a ramp (if there is some way to solder SS) or use a super adhesive to attach a ramp. I want (need) a fiber optic front sight for hunting.
I would think that you could drill and tap a couple of holes for mounting a base if needed... I am positive that Steve can do the job too.

That's one change that they made on the "new" models that I like - the dovetail is a bit oversized but it's easy to tap the lips down to fit a standard sight blade - at least it was on my 44 Mag Rossi.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rbertalotto wrote:I might solder a ramp (if there is some way to solder SS) or use a super adhesive to attach a ramp. I want (need) a fiber optic front sight for hunting.
The pictures aren't all that good, but this thread shows ANOTHER way to get a decent fiber-optic sight on the front. Took me under an hour with nothing but a Dremel tool and a couple files...

Putting a Fiber Optic on a Rossi - http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21648

Mine had a 'dovetail' front already, but the same could be done with the 'band' type sights; it just takes a small bit (I started the cut with a tiny round-ball tip), steady hand, and patience. You can make the 'fiber' any color, but the yellow and green are to me the best for HUNTING environments. I'm very satisfied with the results, and view them not as something I 'settled for' since I couldn't have the real thing, but really as something BETTER than the factory ones. For one thing, it is far less 'fragile' than most of the factory ones, in my opinion.

Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Had one of those in the same series - very nice rifle - and as you say light and handy. I shot some heavy loads in it and found it surprisingly comfortable to shoot. Cracked the forend though which I fixed with Gorilla Glue. Traded mine off and have one of the current ones which I also really like. Your load as you say would be like a 22. My rifle needs bullets larger than .451/2 to shoot well as in he difference between 10" groups and 1 7/8" groups at 50 yds. So, might not be your shooting but bullet/barrel size. TERRY may have more info on this. .453/.454 were better in mine.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

I have a milling machine and I've cut loads of dovetails, There might be a bit more meat on a 44 barrel as the hole is smaller than on the 45LC. But I'm here to tell you, there ain't enough meat to cut a proper dovetail on this barrel. If I was to do it, I'd solder on a ramp. Not enough to get even two threads on a drill and tap.

BTW, I just finished converting it to a take down. I'll post a new thread as soon as the pictures up load.

Came out great!

Took me 6 hours and it's finished.

I just need to figure out a way to retain the tube magazine follower. It needs to be held back for the barrel to unscrew once the tube magazine has been pulled back. Any ideas?
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Here is the thread on the Take Down conversion:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=36706

(BTW, While I had the barrel off I slugged the bore. .451 end to end. No tight spots, just a nice consistent bore. Tomorrow I'll I'll shoot some of my "Hunting Loads" and see how it does)
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Oops! Double post!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Wow. That is an awesome project. After seeing your abilities making that takedown conversion, my suggestion earlier in the thread on Putting a Fiber Optic on a Rossi probably seems like childs-play...!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Thanks, .......and suggestions are ALWAYS appreciated. You never know when someone has a thought you hadn't thought of!
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Amazing stuff you do there. Interesting!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

rbertalotto wrote:I have a milling machine and I've cut loads of dovetails, There might be a bit more meat on a 44 barrel as the hole is smaller than on the 45LC. But I'm here to tell you, there ain't enough meat to cut a proper dovetail on this barrel. If I was to do it, I'd solder on a ramp. Not enough to get even two threads on a drill and tap.

BTW, I just finished converting it to a take down. I'll post a new thread as soon as the pictures up load.

Came out great!

Took me 6 hours and it's finished.

I just need to figure out a way to retain the tube magazine follower. It needs to be held back for the barrel to unscrew once the tube magazine has been pulled back. Any ideas?
I had a blued Rossi 92 in .45 Colt with the front sight on the barrel band. I am quite familiar with the thinness of the barrel. Mike at M&M Gunsmithing did what he called a shallow dovetail in the barrel at the correct location and put a regular front sight in it. Worked perfectly. It can be done. You just gotta go shallow.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dang, that's pretty! 8)
Tyrell
Levergunner

Post by Tyrell »

I have one just like this mine is 0850 of 2000. I can't seem to find much info could someone help me out
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Tyrell wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:46 am I have one just like this mine is 0850 of 2000. I can't seem to find much info could someone help me out

Welcome to the forum !

IIRC, when these were imported in the mid-90's, it was the first trial of stainless Rossi M-92 leverguns - so a limited edition that later became a catalog item.

Tyrell
Levergunner

Post by Tyrell »

Thank you for the information
Tyrell
Levergunner

Post by Tyrell »

Is the value as same as the others?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Look on Gunbroker.com or GunsAmerica.com auction sites for COMPLETED auctions, and you will have a good idea of the real-world (versus 'book') value of most any gun. You may have to register for a (free) account to see the completed auctions.

My little Rossi leverguns are among my favorite practical and shootable guns, good for fun, pest control, plinking, or home protection.

If you are inclined to SELL it, I'd encourage you to first do some shooting with it first - you may like it too much to part with. If new to shooting, use 'cowboy' or fairly light loads, but that gun can handle grizzly-bear-stopping loads as well.

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Good looking Rossi.
For the front sight there is another alternative to cutting a dovetail in a thin barrel. Blokes over here at the lever action club use a barrel clamp to mount Lyman globe sights to their BLR rifles, so they can slide them off when they use a scope for hunting. No reason you couldn't use the same setup for a post or bead front. The clamp looks just like a mini scope ring.
A friend gave me 16 pounds of Green Dot a few years ago
at 6.2 grains per round, that's over 18,000 rounds of ammo :shock:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

They are nice guns, my only centrefire is a stainless in 357 with 24" octagonal barrel.