Were You "Naughty Or Nice" As a Kid ? ? ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Were You "Naughty Or Nice" As a Kid ? ? ?

Post by Old No7 »

The threat of this didn't keep me OFF "The Naughty List..."

Belt On Shelf.jpg

It kept me from getting CAUGHT!!! :wink:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Were You "Naughty Or Nice" As a Kid ? ? ?

Post by piller »

Me and my older brothers used to get 3 to 5 precautionary swats with a belt every single morning from age 3 until age 16 years from our Mother. Little brother got to choose who got his swats. Youngest kid, a sister, got 3 strikes on top of the head with the back of a hairbrush to keep her in line. That belt on the shelf would be ceremonially burned on the yule log in my house.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No belt here, mom & dad had what was referred to as The Spanker. It was 3/8" plastic about 16" long with finger groove handle. It was kept on top of the fridge. I had my share of run ins with it. The last time I got it it broke at the handle. Think I was about 8 .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I got the cane on the backside within 5 minutes of going up to senior school ... :oops: sadly that wasn't the only caning I would receive there... :lol:
My parents had the ultimate punishment though, they threatened to take away my airguns, that worked far better... :wink: ,
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I had two brothers, so of course we were sometimes naughty, BUT never more than twice! :shock:
You could Dad's belt come off in any room in the house and no more than two applications was ever needed. :cry:

Certain things were verboten, such as backtalk to Mom, cursing, disobedience, etc. Things such a swiping things were not even considered ! In retrospect, I am glad to have learned right from wrong at an early age.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I recall my first day in first grade. A older boy picked on me. The older boy had stood on the merry go round balancing himself without holding the bars while others "zigzagged" it and dared me to do it. I wouldnt and he threw a stone at me that hit me in the head. I walked home to my folks store that we also lived in. They kept a belt hanging on the wall for the purpose of keeping me straight. I got the belt and walked back to school to whip the kid. My dad seen me, gave me a head start to see what I would do. He followed me slowly in the car and took the belt away from me as I was going in the schoolhouse. Recess was over and no one was outside. I can't recall how that was handled or if my dad went in to square me with the teacher.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Never got a thrashing I didn’t deserve, got away with a couple things I shoulda gotten a thrashing for, but can’t complain one bit. I see kids talking back to their parents and telling the parents they deserve this or that hmmmm. My siblings would have split up my good stuff if I ever did that. I had all the love a kid could ask for but there was personal responsibility and I can attest to the fact that the old man was not afraid to “lay one on ya” when deserved. Worst thing he ever did to me was one day he said he was disappointed in me. He thought I was a better person than that. Wish he’d a hit with a truck instead. That was September 24, 1980 funny how some things stick with a person. Never had to say it again.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Whenever I did something wrong, my older brother and sister got blamed for it and they took the whacking. When it was my brothers or sisters birthday, I got a gift too. My Christmas gifts outnumbered everyone else's 3-1. My mother used to put yellow food coloring in my scrambled eggs because I wanted them to look perfect.

Yes, I was the golden child.....still am. :D -----Count Sixula
Model A Uzi’s
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Mom kept a quirt on top of the refrigerator because both her sons were bigger than her. Don't laugh at a 5' tall Texan when she's mad... :shock:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I was a second generation only child. I was pretty good around home and given huge amounts of responsibility for my age.
That said, my friends and I were incredible h3ll raisers and did some crazy stuff. I was usually the planner and ringleader, and not getting caught was always a high priority. I had an impeccable record.
This was learned at a tender young age. My parents had an oak board for an "educational aid" on the window sill behind the dryer. I climbed up and knocked it down behind the dryer thinking it would save a beating. :D
By the time she moved the dryer and dug it out she was even MORE pizzed. Got the snot beat outta me. :D
I learnt!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:52 pm Whenever I did something wrong, my older brother and sister got blamed for it and they took the whacking. When it was my brothers or sisters birthday, I got a gift too. My Christmas gifts outnumbered everyone else's 3-1. My mother used to put yellow food coloring in my scrambled eggs because I wanted them to look perfect.

Ahhh.....that explains things..... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:27 pm
Sixgun wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:52 pm Whenever I did something wrong, my older brother and sister got blamed for it and they took the whacking. When it was my brothers or sisters birthday, I got a gift too. My Christmas gifts outnumbered everyone else's 3-1. My mother used to put yellow food coloring in my scrambled eggs because I wanted them to look perfect.

I was thinking the same thing.... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:31 pm
AJMD429 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:27 pm

I was thinking the same thing.... :lol:

AND, I even found Six's baby picture...……… :mrgreen:

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Today the house I grew up in would have been called dysfunctional. My Grandparents spoiled the He88 out of Me and My Dad was old school to the core. :( :x . when I wasn't out looking for something to murder or catch on a fishing rod I just stayed out of the way of My Parents. The thing that stays with Me to this day is back talking My Mom before school at about 14. She hit Me with an open palm, knocking Me to the floor, and then said "you missed the bus so Walk to school" it was eight miles and I got there about noon....still with Her palm print on My Face...... Never Again. It's a Tough Life.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Parenting doesn't come with an instruction manual, so parents just do what they think best - and sometime it isn't...…... :(

Regardless, w/o them we wouldn't be here. ;)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I was the eldest of three boys, and got a disproportionate share of the physical discipline from Dad, with an open hand, never a belt. But he punished in great anger, and looking back, it may have been tied to untreated PTSD from seeing combat in World War II. Mom tried to spank, or whack us with a wooden spoon, but she was so ineffective that it often ended in all of us laughing.
God rest their souls. They tried the best they could.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The rubber hose filled with lead shot that my Mother used was the worst. Broken bones hurt too much to be effective as correctional aids.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My dad told a good story of when he was a young man he worked for a farmer. They put in a milking machine. The farmer called his son and worked him over. The kid finaly asked his dad why he whipped him. The old man said, "See that machine? Well, leave it alone!" The kid hadn't done anything!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

My Mom swatted me good a couple times. And my Father and I had a couple of epic battles. But they both accomplished more with disappointment and shame to curb my negative impulses then physical correction ever could. Even today I roll through pain. I know something hurts but I consciously put the pain out of my mind. I can't really explain it well. I've tried. Just a knack I have.

I think I learned it from my sister who was 9 years older then me. She beat the hell out of me. Broken bones, stitches, burns, choking to unconsciousness, etc. Growing up I thought she was just a particular kind of mean but as years have gone by I realized she is mentally ill. She has left a trail of damage & carnage behind her that includes 3 sons, two ex husbands, two dead boyfriends (both suspicious suicides), and a library of stories.

I know a lot of people look back on corporal punishment with a bit of nostalgia but I can't. I experienced damage and my nephews experienced damage and my ex brother in law (who I still call friend) experienced damage from someone who used 'punishment' to fill a hole in her soul.

Wm
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

WM, that's a terrible memory, and I am so sorry for your sister's mental illness apparently going undiagnosed and untreated. My sis-in-law was profoundly schizophrenic, starting at age 5, but she was a gentle soul, quietly tormented by the ghosts and bullies of her imagination.
I'm no big believer in corporal punishment, although I believe it can be applied judiciously in very special cases, like swatting a dog that wants to run out into the street.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Sorry guys. I know it was meant as light hearted post and I kind of unload my personal BS on it. I hate it when people do that. It certainly has everything to do with the fact I'm hosting the family Christmas party tonight and that sister and her sons and her ex husband (my friend) are coming over with my 93 year old mother. We will all be walking a type rope around my sister for my Mothers sake. All she wants in this world his for her family to be happy.

I guess we are faking it until we can make it with my sister.

Please ignore what I said earlier.

Wm
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

my mother was a single parent. I was a quiet kid but like most adolescents occasionally pushed my luck. She had this electric tea kettle with a heavy removable cord. The cord was impossible to block as it wrapped around and hit harder. My grandfather assisted my upbringing and favored a 'peach stick', Im not sure if the tree was peach, it was long thin flexible branch with the leaves stripped off, and it stung. He was a WW vet but not violent, physical punishment was pretty rare, and deserved.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

we would have to go back and un-seal "sealed" court records and any existing reports from my probation officer to properly answer that question... :)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Belt on the shelf. Love it. That was how I was raised, and how I raised my kids! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Weren't no belt on the shelf when I was growin' up... Dad would take it right off his pants... did that till I grew a pair and yanked it outta his hand... after that it went to fisticuffs fairly rapidly. I left home out the bathroom window... while Mom was bandaging his hand. I was supposed to be fixin' the cut on my cheek... but I knew it wasn't over... Once he quit bleedin' on Mom's carpet, it was back to the fight... nearly a year before we spoke again.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I didn't get in too much trouble, but I was pretty good at not gettin' caught. :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I don't worry about it any more. I just buy what I want.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.