OT - 45 Colt load for Ruger BH - 2400, 5744, or 4759?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

OT - 45 Colt load for Ruger BH - 2400, 5744, or 4759?

Post by 71fan »

I have one night to load up 100 rounds of 45 colt for my 4-3/4 BH for a hunting trip next week. 95fan gave me 100 230gr LRNs to use, and I only have three powders to chose from: 2400, 5744 and 4759. I think I want to be about halfway from orininal/cowboy velocity (800 fps) to max loads (1350 fps), so I figure about 1100 fps sounds good.

Does anyone have a tried-and-true load for me to use with these powders? I'm not worried about accruracy too much, I just want to get them loaded up and ready for my Wyoming trip next week. These will only be for plinking and unfortunate rabbits.

I'm thinking 4759 can't get me there in terms of velocity, and maybe not even 5744. I'm edging toward about 20 gr of 2400.

TIA!!
Chad
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

71fan,

I have used a bunch of 2400 and find it works very well. I like your idea of the 20 grs load.

I absolutely despise 5744. It is the filthiest powder I've ever used. By filthy I mean it leaves behind much unburned powder kernels. To the point of jamming up my S&W every cylinder full.
At one indoor range session I fired several cylinders full of ammo loaded with 5744 and to lesson the amount of old maids in my Ruger I pointed it muzzle up as I unloaded it. By the time I was finished I had a pile of unburned powder on the bench.
I will NEVER buy any more of that stuff. This is just my opinion based on my results. Others have had exactly the opposite results. Ranch13 (haven't seen him here for quite a while) likes the stuff.

EDITED to ADD: I've taken to shooting the remaining ammo loaded with 5744 out of my 94AE Win and my Marlin 1894. When I shoot the Winchester I get sprinkled by the excessive amounts of unburned powder as the empty case pirouettes out of the rifle. It's so bad I'm paranoid about getting kernels in my eyes. Now I'm down to shooting this ammo out of my Marlin.

I've never used an 4759 so I won't comment on that powder.

Yep, I'd stick with 2400 were I loading them.

Joe
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

+1 for 2400.
I haven't loaded any 230's but I use it for 250's 18grns does the job in my Vaqueros.

Forgot to mention that that load also packs a walop out of my 94 trapper :D .
Last edited by JReed on Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I don't think you would need 20gr of 2400 to get 1100fps with a 230gr.slug. Elmers load of 18.5gr 2400 under a 255gr is My hands down favorite. Have Fun. Jim.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

18 grains of 2400 is what I use.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Thanks everyone!!

So I'm definitely using 2400. Still have to decide on the charge. It's looking like 18.0 gr is winning out.
Chad
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

In that short barrel 9 grs of unique will get you some extra fps, with less muzzle flash and blast than the rest. Bluedot is another good choice.
I'm a huge fan of 5744 with cast bullets in over 35 bore, but handguns ain't it's strong suit. Chuck it up in a rifle and things begin to get better.
18 grs of 2400 will get about 1100 fps or so from my 7.5 in Blackhawk, and just a bit over 1000 fps from the 5.5 new vaguero, and accuracy is fine in both guns.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hey Don,

Long time no see. Glad you made it.

I didn't mention the Unique load because 71fan gave the three powders he did. But it's still my go to load. I have been reading a lot of reports from folks that are shooting and chronographing 9.0grs Unique under the 255-270gr Keith bullets. The velocities reported have surprised me. Many are reporting velocities in excess of 1000 fps. Not that I'm complaining.
I guess that the newer Alliant powder is a bit more ooomphy than the old Hercules version.

Joe
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I have used both unique and 2400 both powders are excellent in the 45 colt.
on the AA5744 yup in a pistol it does leave unburnt powder in the bore.that said it is the cats *** in my leverguns and the best I have "ever" used in my 45/70 period.

good luck hunting.
pete
DAV life member.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Joe its amazing how long it can take computer techs, and insurance companies to get their collective acts together :?

Anywho I only mentioned unigue account of I believe it to be the best choice for the short barreled guns,(according to my chrony) along with bluedot.
The powders 71 mentioned all will do well in longer barrelled hoglegs, and rifles but have only succeeded in comic book muzzleflash in the short guns I've shot them in.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Thank again everyone. I suppose I ought to get some Unique at some point. I like that I can get twice as many loads out of a pound of Unique vs 2400. That alone is reason enough. But for now it's 2400.

It's interesting to read the different views on 5744. I bought several pounds of it after reading Venturino's book, and figured on using it in 38-55, 40-65, 45-70, and 45-90. I never really planned on loading pistol cartridges with it, and now I for sure won't. I haven't loaded anything with it yet.
Chad
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Some folks whine and ball about the little kernels of cornmeal looking stuff 2400 is famous for leaving behind. I just ignore those like I do the oldmaid kernels of 5744.
Looking forwards to your report on the shooting results.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Don,

I'm going to be hunting in your backyard...we're staying at a friend's ranch just east of Wheatland out by the reservoir. We'll be hunting elk in 7 and deer in 55.

Are you hunting anything this year?
Chad
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don,

When I read 71fans original post, the 4-5/8" barrel part slipped right past my eyes. So when I mentioned the 2400 load I was thinking of my 7.5" BH.

OK, so I need to read a bit more carefully.

And if it were just a few kernels of unburnt 5744 I wouldn't care. But I get a bunch of them. Anyway, maybe it's just the Illinois climate that makes it not burn better :roll:

Joe
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

71 I'm in the book give a shout out when you get in country. Might be we can visit over a cup a coffee or such.
Been piddlin with elk here in 3 , but weather has been the pits, hot and dry and the elk really aren't cooperating well.
Plan to head to Encampment next week to go after real elk with my friend from Illinois.
Have deer and antelope licenses, but haven't had time to fiddle with either of those much.

Joe I've read alot of other folks complaints about 5744 and am at a loss as I've not experienced a great lot of old maids, and those that are left a just more or less gooey globs. You might be onto something with the humidity tho.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don,

I've run the 5744 up to around 20 grains with the 255 gr bullet and it does shoot nice. Very accurate from my revolvers and rifles. But still way more old maids than I can tolerate. And they are dry as well. I've tried Win WLP, CCI 350, and ... I think Remington LP primers and it's made no difference for me.

There's got to be a reason for this, but as of yet I've not figured it out. I'm almost out of the one pound of 5744 I bought and when it's gone, I'll not buy any more here in IL. If I had someone to work with me on the experiments I'd love to work on it and figure it out. But here I just don't have the wherewithal to do it.

Joe
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Joe it seems to me the more pressure the cleaner 5744 gets. Might want to crimp just a tad more, or maybe jump the powder charge up a bit.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Don,

I'll have to check and see how much 5744 I have left. As for the crimps, I always put a good heavy crimp on my ammo. But I'll double check it anyways.

Joe
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

I am going to load some up and try it in my 14" T/C contender and see if that makes a difference.
pete
DAV life member.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Pete I'ld be particularly interested to know what your chrony says about the loads you intend to feed that contender. :?: 5744 works quite well in the 16 inch trapper, I'ld think it won't show a lot of difference in the contender barrel. :idea: