Post Season Woes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post Season Woes

Post by OldWin »

So....now that the season is over, we had some stands to get up to the lot. We had over a foot of snow during the season, but from running in and out it was passable for the trucks. The four wheeler went ok. We had chains on it.
The weather has been up and down since. Temps went from 4 to 40 degrees. We even had some rain at the house. Didn't give it a thought as the snow should be settled down and frozen. Easy peazy. :?
When I got home from work, my old dad had his old 98 Dodge 3/4 ton with 34s ready to go. Trailer with the four wheeler hitched. Had the chainsaw as we wanted to do some work for next season.
It's 17 miles from home to the lot. I noticed in the last couple miles there was more snow. Apparently, dad didn't. He wheeled the truck down in the road and immediately realized the mistake. Done.
I got out and unhitched the trailer, then got behind the wheel. The truck would at least move so by moving back and forth a few feet at at a time, I could slowly pack myself a trail. Half hour later, the truck was free. Took the wheeler off the trailer and hitched the trailer to it. With both of us on it, and beating the h3ll out of it, we managed to get the empty trailer out too.
No way we were gonna get that wheeler down into those stands.
We went home and got the snowmobile and started over. Couldn't get the sled to the stands as it was too rough. Had to wade in. I got 2, but will have to go back and snowshoe to the third this week.
Old dad is starting to have a hard time with these adventures. Makes me sad.
Weird. Two miles down the road there is half as much snow.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Post Season Woes

Post by Pitchy »

I love the snow until ya gotta get out in it and do something like that, you guys take it easy and don`t over do it.
Nice pics bro, i look forward to snow shoeing if we ever get some measurable snow. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I hate snow.
2" stops everything over here! Lousy drivers bend your vehicle for free too.
It's nice in the woods if you can get but that's it.
I hate snow.
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Love the snow but like Nath it's the other morons ya gotta watch out for so I just stay home and wait for it to stop- then I'm in my ranger with tunes blaring as I plow . I know the neighbors love me cuz I plow 10 or 12 of them too.

Today is the last day of our buck week, I want to go but my back is protesting, I have 3 properties I can hunt and not sure where to go!!!

I did a blueing job this morning so my day is up in the air now.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks guys.

Nath,
Our oldest son did a semester of college in your fair country. Made lots of friends. Great folks.
The day he arrived, they got about an inch of snow. He called home and couldn't understand what the hubub was about.
We've had 40" in one storm here. :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Gunny,
I hear you. For 31 years I've driven 50 miles to work every day. Driving in weather has no affect on me whatsoever.
Never been off the road. Knock, knock :D
The things I've seen, however......... :?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

OldWin wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:25 am Thanks guys.

Nath,
Our oldest son did a semester of college in your fair country. Made lots of friends. Great folks.
The day he arrived, they got about an inch of snow. He called home and couldn't understand what the hubub was about.
We've had 40" in one storm here. :D
1"= PANIC!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm with Nath on this one, inexperienced snow drivers especially those with 4 wheel drive vehicles that have never even been off road are lethal. Most of England never gets more than a couple of inches but driving amongst these idiots can be scary, I used to live on the Welsh Border where snow really was snow but traffic was lighter.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Oldwin, I can feel for your Dad. Shoveling the drive and sidewalk after a 2 or 3-foot snow just about killed me and I was only in my early 60s at the time. Young man's game.
And Gamekeeper -- you are right that people with 4-wheelers who have no clue as to their capabilities -- AND LACK THEREOF -- are a menace to the public welfare.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GK,
Funny, when my son was in Alaska, he said all the guys from the south that were stationed there bought 4 wheel drives. Then they thought they could drive like they were back in Florida. :D

Bill,
My dad is 77. He is tougher than a bag of hammers but I see a change.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I was raised in wisconsin now retired in utah at 6,000 feet. The best part of snow for me means I aint mowing lawn. My thing is trail riding with our RZR so the winter is boring to me as I cant ride. We pretty much go into hibernation. The country behind me gets high as 11,000 feet! We haven't got too much snow yet this year but know its coming. One thing though, we can drive 40 miles south to 2,500 feet where they seldom get snow and ride some on better days. Weather in the west is all about elevation.
Snowmobiles are big out here in the mountains and I would have one if I was young.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well I got in the stand about 12:30. Had a steady wind in my face- eyes were watering something fierce! About 1:30 on far end of the field I saw 3 doe come out about 200 yds away. They stayed well out of slug gun range. Then about 5 minutes later a half rack buck came out and followed the girls.
I gave them about 30 minutes and then i made a move to get out of the wind.
I snuck into the next field and climbed into another stand. About 10 minutes of sitting and i heard something in the thicket. Sure enough it was that half rack. At about 50 yards I gave him a 3" Remington accutip a bit too far forward but it did the trick. He went about 150 yards.
20181208_155150-600x1067.jpg
Not big in the bone department but I'd guess 140-150 dressed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's warm a man on a chilly day! 8)
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes I was huffing & puffing getting him out of the woods. Almost dropped a nut getting in the bed of the truck!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good job Gunny! I'm jealous.
We just don't have that many deer in our locale. I noticed yesterday getting the stands that what sign there was is gone. They have started migrating to yarding areas.
Farther south in the state, it was a great year, with many taken. Some huge bucks.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I love hunting in the snow! But we rarely get the chance here unless it snows early. Usually it's still dry or wet during elk season, and never snows during deer season.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I actually dislike hunting in snow immensely. It's either too quiet, or crusty and crazy noisy.
If the snow is on the trees, you get soaked moving, and it cuts down on visibility.
About the only advantages, is tracking and the light stays longer.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks Jay! Just a couple inches of snow is perfect!
I remember a blizzard years ago, I was wearing my Stetson, by the time I climbed outta my stand my neck was sore from holding all that snow on my hat!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

OldWin wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:21 pm I actually dislike hunting in snow immensely. It's either too quiet, or crusty and crazy noisy.
If the snow is on the trees, you get soaked moving, and it cuts down on visibility.
About the only advantages, is tracking and the light stays longer.
I feel the same way. I like just a dusting of snow for tracking but anything over an 1" or so is not good. I haven't been up to camp since I went hunting last month. My wifes uncle and his budy headed up last week to check things out to start scouting around for coyotes. They said they needed chains to get up and over Pleasant Ridge to get into camp. The next time they head back up probably not till after the holidays they'll bring the sleds for sure.

Mainehunter
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah, it's gonna be a long winter.
We aren't too far from you, over in Brighton.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well, I ran up to the lot and got the last stand seat out this afternoon.
Got to walk part way on the frozen snowmobile tracks from last Friday. That helped. :D
Then I strapped on my snowshoes for the last half mile. It was pretty good going, and a pretty day.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Great bud, nothing like getting out in the woods. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah, it was nice. It was 0 this morning, but warmed up to 15 or so.
Wish I'd of had more time to bum around. :D
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:15 pm I love hunting in the snow!
THIS is where I want to hunt next year!

I'll need a bigger spotlight though! ! ! And maybe a semi-auto too! ! !

( Just kidding............... )

AFTER Deer Season.jpg
( Click on image to enlarge )

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah........that won't be mistaken for my property, No7. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I love the snow but sometimes, too much is too much. A few years back, hunting elk in Colorado, we had a snowstorm that dropped between 2 and 3 feet. Rangers came and told all the campers they should leave and most everyone did, including my buddy Gunny and his brother. ,My boy and I stayed and that next day got a cow with the 86 in 45-70...,my boy got her.

It rarely happens, but when the snow gets deep and I'm off road, I drop the air pressure to 10 pounds.....then air back up when I can with an onboard air compressor. Well, it's not onboard but a quality one I hook directly to the battery.

One year in Colorado my boy and me decided to take this shortcut across the mountain to get to Steamboat Springs. There was a section, about a half mile that was no lie, at least 4 feet of snow.....to the top of the hood on his lifted Jeep. Me being a little nervous about it, "let's turn around" my boy, who had testicles three times the size of me, says ...."this is nothing." He would go as far as he could in his Jeep and when he could not go any more, he would back up a hundred yards and give it hell.....plow through another 100 yards of snow, back up...on and on....we got through. And we were at least 25 miles from the nearest macadam road. Needless to say, my knees were a bit wobbly after that. Did not bother him a bit.----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

My Jeep gets put up in the winter now. I don't do much "snow wheeling" these days. The club goes a couple times a year. I don't miss it much.
Still better than mud, though.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's called FUN in Colorado Six! We would do the same thing when I lived out there. All the guys at school, Ford,Dodge, Chevy, Toyota and we were all out to shame when one guys Subaru just went like crazy through snow!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If the snow gets too deep I like hunting in it less. Once it's over about a foot deep, just walking in it becomes a real task, and dragging elk in it is a huge task! We use a heavy mat with a rope attached to make a sled to put game on. But deep snow makes it not work as well, as it tends to bury in the snow. Then you have to 1/4 the elk and make multiple trips. Even less fun.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

We seen this herd of antelope a few years ago near Panguitch Utah and Bryce Canyon national park.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:19 am If the snow gets too deep I like hunting in it less. Once it's over about a foot deep, just walking in it becomes a real task, and dragging elk in it is a huge task! We use a heavy mat with a rope attached to make a sled to put game on. But deep snow makes it not work as well, as it tends to bury in the snow. Then you have to 1/4 the elk and make multiple trips. Even less fun.
Yup. People here use a Jet sled to haul out deer when the snow is deep. Another trick, even when there is no snow, is to use an old plastic bed liner for moose. A hole is cut through the headboard section for the rope. Rope tied to the moose. Then the moose is easily dragged without catching on stumps, etc.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Now that's a heck of an idea! But it dont work if your bed liner is sprayed on :lol: !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's true. It's harder if you have to use the truck bet too! :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Although the spray on liner with bed attached to the truck AND a set of tracks instead of tires and you could go just about anywhere in deep snow.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!