Ruger MKIIs

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Ruger MKIIs

Post by 2ndovc »

Great pistols!!

I've had the heavy, short barrel on the left for about three years. The stainless pistol on the right is new to me from a show last weekend
Both performed perfectly and each has their preference in ammunition.
Top to bottom at 40' 20 rounds each target.
Federal STD. Velocity
Browning HP High Velocity
CCI Mini-Mag HV RN. The HB pistol really likes these.

Fun stuff, and love the Ruger autos.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ruger MKIIs

Post by GunnyMack »

They look like shooters!
Here's my 10", didnt have any stainless to make the brake .
20181207_195624-800x600.jpg
Parker had to give it a quick LAB test
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice!!
Everything has to go through the Lab!! :D

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's for sure- even the door panels on my leased truck...she took 2 bites on each door! I gotta find new panels before the lease is up!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:08 pm That's for sure- even the door panels on my leased truck...she took 2 bites on each door! I gotta find new panels before the lease is up!
Got that! I'm about 35k miles over mine, good thing I like this F150! :D

jb 8)

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

My Ruger MK II is threaded for a suppressor. I like it.
My other Ruger the 15 week old yellow lab has “lab tested” 3 or 4 phone cords a tv remote and a spare stock for a Mosin Nagant.
Dam I love labs!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh I know how labs love to chew eat gnaw on anything & everything! My Winnie destroyed a leather couch!

I read a story years ago about a lab that ate a guys personal library of high end books! Anything made of wood is fair game, trim work to toilet paper!!

Parker was chewing my doors as I was stocking birds- she just wanted to hunt!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Ruger makes the best 22 pistol IMO and the MK II semi autos are the best of their lineup. The MK II was a definite improvement over the MK I with the addition of the bolt hold open. As far as I'm concerned, there was no need for a MK III with its relocation of the heel mag release to the button style by the triggerguard.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've had the Government Target MKII for over thirty years. Most accurate handgun ever.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Big fan of the IIs as well. Down to 1 now from a high of 5 at one time. The one I still have is not going anywhere as it came to me after passing through the hands of 2 departed friends.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice pistols jb, i`ve had a few over the years and loved them but they got traded off.
That hunter model is pretty cool looking they make. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

wolfdog wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:15 am Big fan of the IIs as well. Down to 1 now from a high of 5 at one time. The one I still have is not going anywhere as it came to me after passing through the hands of 2 departed friends.
The blued one came from an old high school friend of my Dad's. I'd had dad's Colt Match Target that he gave me when I was about 14. He was always asking about it so for his birthday a few years ago I gave it back to him. It's been in our family since it was new in the '50s when my Great Uncle Lynn bought it for bullseye competition. A few days later my dad stopped by with "Old Stinky Bob's" Ruger MKII. Bob had passed away from lung cancer a few months earlier and left my dad a few guns. Most were junk or butchered up but there were a couple of good ones in there. Bob's MKII has become one of my favorite plinkers and the start of a renewed interest in .22 autos.

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a 6 inch tapered barrel markII that I bought about a year after the markII came out. It is still in perfect condition. My son and daughter learned to shoot with that gun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

I have a Guberment Model MKII. Put a red dot on it because of failing eyes and took 3rd in a local club 22 pistol league. Up against a lot of fancy iron. Surprised myself, not of the pistol but of my luck . But out in the field I use the iron sights just "cause"

Love that Ruger

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Bronco wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:34 am I have a Guberment Model MKII. Put a red dot on it because of failing eyes and took 3rd in a local club 22 pistol league. Up against a lot of fancy iron. Surprised myself, not of the pistol but of my luck . But out in the field I use the iron sights just "cause"

Love that Ruger

John
For a short while I had a scope on my MKII. Didn't need a target. Just shoot the first one and the hole became the target. At 25 yards you could pile them all into nearly the same hole if you could hold steady.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Went to a show today, looking for MKIIs. There were a couple there but noting that "tripped my trigger" . Was looking for magazines primarily but I wouldn't mind a couple more MKIIs. I
'm thinking it would make a neat little collection.

jb 8)

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had a couple of those years ago. About the most reliable pistol I've ever seen. Every one I've ever seen that was broken was broken by the owner during disassembly/ assembly. If you don't mess up with that they'll last forever.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

From what I've heard, taking one of these apart is about as frustrating as taking apart a Mauser Broomhandle and putting it back together. I've done the Broomhandle thing and won't ever do it again! :D

jb 8)

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

They are not that bad to disassemble and reassemble. I used to charge my local gunsmith $25 to reassemble the ones people brought in a bag or box. Probably put 15-20 together for him
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

fordwannabe wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:06 pm They are not that bad to disassemble and reassemble. I used to charge my local gunsmith $25 to reassemble the ones people brought in a bag or box. Probably put 15-20 together for him
Yessir! Just follow the instructions and they go back together and work every time. My Father has one with a red eagle that he bought back a short time after they came out and it still works just as it was designed to work, and it is as accurate as any .22 lr pistol I have ever seen. Like most guns, treat them right and they last a long time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Each time I'm up north I keep my eyes open for a 5" stainless bull barrel MkII. That's the one I WISH I'd held out for way back when, picked up the blued 6 7/8" tapered target barrel instead. It was a great gun, just not the one I had been hankering for. Got in a hurry and traded into the one they had in stock instead of waiting. Ran a lot of ammo through that pistol over the years, eventually traded it off and haven't been able to replace it since then. The new MkIV is OK, but don't personally have any use for the Mk III.

As for disassembly and reassembly, once one gets the hang of it it's not a problem at all. It's been a couple of decades since the last time I had one to break down, but wouldn't hesitate to try it again. It's far easier than reassembling a Remington Nylon 66. :wink:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Richardx
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Richardx »

I had a Ruger Standard that I got in a trade in the early seventies, in 1982 I had been out of the country so the first MKII I saw was a bull bbl it was USED (like new they had only been out a few months) serial # 19-0012X, I bought it before they took it out the display case. Thousands of rounds through it, taken a lot of small game with it. Put target grips on it but went to Pachmeyers probably 30 years ago.
It will be the last gun I ever let go of.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

:D

I ordered a new set of plain black grips for the stainless pistol. I like the target grips that are on it but I really want that one as a easy packin' trail gun and the big thumb rest on the left side is just in the way.

I left my dad with a Ruger Single Six that he'd been asking me about and he wanted to know what he could trade me for it. I told him just to pick up another MKII and we'd be even. :D

jb 8)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:14 pm :D

I ordered a new set of plain black grips for the stainless pistol. I like the target grips that are on it but I really want that one as a easy packin' trail gun and the big thumb rest on the left side is just in the way.

I left my dad with a Ruger Single Six that he'd been asking me about and he wanted to know what he could trade me for it. I told him just to pick up another MKII and we'd be even. :D

jb 8)
Between my MKII Gov and the stainless Single Six with mag cyl, I'd have an impossible time picking if I had to give one of them up. The MKII is more accurate, but that Single Six is really easy to hit with and my fav plinker.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I was hoping mine would be too, but it's the absolute worst shooting .22 I've ever had. I told my dad that if he can get it to shoot well for him then keep it. If he wanted, he can pick up another MKII for me, but whatever he wants to do with is fine with me.. I was really disappointed with it.

jb 8)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

2ndovc wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:25 pm I was hoping mine would be too, but it's the absolute worst shooting .22 I've ever had. I told my dad that if he can get it to shoot well for him then keep it. If he wanted, he can pick up another MKII for me, but whatever he wants to do with is fine with me.. I was really disappointed with it.

jb 8)
Well...heck...There's something wrong with it. Send it back to Ruger to be checked out.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It was probably a Monday morning gun, the guys were all hung over! :D
Like Blaine says- send it back.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:32 pm It was probably a Monday morning gun, the guys were all hung over! :D
I've dealt with them a couple times. Call them, ManSplain the problem, they'll send you a postage-free mailer and some paperwork to fill out about the problem, and in a couple weeks they'll mail it back to your house. I wasn't charged both times, but if they think you broke it they might charge a little bit.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

BlaineG wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:36 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:32 pm It was probably a Monday morning gun, the guys were all hung over! :D
I've dealt with them a couple times. Call them, ManSplain the problem, they'll send you a postage-free mailer and some paperwork to fill out about the problem, and in a couple weeks they'll mail it back to your house. I wasn't charged both times, but if they think you broke it they might charge a little bit.
Didn't broke nothin'. :D
It was a birthday present from my sister last year and I tried everything from Agulia to Eley to see if I could get it to shoot straight. Thought the old man would have some fun with it. Sometimes it just takes a different shooter. The blued MKII that he gave me shoots great for me but he couldn't hit the side of the barn from inside the barn with it. With one of his Colt's, he can shoot little tiny groups all day long.

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had a single six years ago that was ok with LR but the magnums were just terrible. Didnt bother me much as the mags were twice the price as LR. Now in trying to remember what I traded it for.. oh yeah! A Security Six. But what did I trade that for...?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have that issue sometimes too. What the heck did I do with that? :D

jb 8)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Since the Ruger 3-screw I traded for a Marlin 336 44 years ago, I've never owned another, but... I've often thought about buying a MKII. Fleeting thoughts at best, as something else always came up on the "I need one of these" list before I came across a good MKII example.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I bought a Ruger Mark II Standard when I returned from working in Israel in 1983. Myself and two of my friends put 15,000 rnds through that pistol in two years. Then for some unknown reason I sold it. This year I finally replaced it with a Mark IV 22/45 Lite and just acquired a Standard receiver and barrel for $89.00 (see pics)-- so now I can change the configuration, this is one of the things I like about the Mark IV besides the quick take-down... Ruger Mark-anything are great pistols... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.