Savage Axis XP bolt gun comments

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Savage Axis XP bolt gun comments

Post by wecsoger »

Pawn shop find, a Savage Axis XP in 30-06 at one my haunts.

Took it to the counter, they said $241 cash.

Wow. That was total out the door, tax, title, and background.

Been contemplating a bolt gun and this seemed meant to be.

For those who don't know...

There are a lot of inexpensive bolt guns on the market now and this Savage is a perfect example

Relatively thin barrel but hey it's a bolt gun, you're not doing serious mag dumps here.

Synthetic stock. Free floated barrel and the forearm is thin so don't be running your hand way out there.

Trigger 5 - 7 lbs best guess. Plenty of comments on the internetz about lightening if you wish.

I'm thinking this is a work/truck gun so I'll leave it be for now.

Oddly enough, stock is fitted with a nice, soft, sticky butt pad which works well.

Came from Savage with a scope and rings.

Scope is a BSA 3-9x and to be kind, it's pretty pathetic.

Barrel was filthy but shiny after couple patches.

Bolts holding receiver were /very/ loose, but they showed no sign Cletus A. Gunsmith was in there boogering around.

I'm thinking the previous owner got a cheap rifle that wouldn't group at all, so dumped it at the pawn shop.

Range time and I was impressed. Savage has a reputation for accuracy and this rifle shows it.

Only had time at the 25 yard bank, it was 34 degrees, going south from there, and winds gusting.

So if I can take the 1/2" group there and it turns into a 2" - 3" group at 100 yards (as I'm sure it will), I can be very happy with that.

I was shooting inexpensive Privi Partisan 150's. Suspect better ammo will help.

Now that I know it functions I'll pull the bolts out, de-grease them and get everything torqued back correctly with thread-locker.

Scope, this scope has to go. I'll keep the rings but maybe a low end Leupold or Redfield.

For $241 this should be a great working rifle.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Savage Axis XP bolt gun comments

Post by fordwannabe »

You asked for opinions so I am giving these as a guy sitting in a tree stand as I type this with a Savage by my side. I have 6 or 7 Savages and talked two friends, my son,and my brother into them buuut they do have some issues.
When you are tightening the action bolts tighten the one in front of the trigger first then cinch up the other the savages like the back of the receiver to have a little float to them. Several mods on the internet as you stated to help the triggers. Those rings and base would go if it were mine an EGW base with Warne rings are on all my Savages and it really does make a difference not sooo much in the accuracy initially but in keeping it zeroed. The only things contacting the rifle to you scope are those rings and base so spend your money there. Also the stocks have a tendency to break at the wrist two of the ones I know of have done it including a friend’s and my brother’s. Also if you can’t get that thing to shoot MOA after about 80 rounds go over to Savage shooters forums and read up. Good luck. It can be a very accurate rifle.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Thanks much for the comments and I'll do that up with the bolts when I strip it apart again.

Wanted to add a bolt gun (and in 30-06) to the collection and this looks like a good entry-level work gun.

I've a feeling it will shoot a lot better than what I saw today

But I need better ammo, a much much better scope, and temperatures where my fingers aren't getting numb. (grin)
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Again I am an advocate for them just stating the good the bad and the ugly. Wish you good luck with it.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I like them. Have had several over the years(Savage bolts guns that is not just XPs) and all have shot well. Recently traded out of a Model 11 bull barrel 308 that had both the Target Accutrigger and target Accu-stock. Thiing was scary accurate but I have other long range rifles and he offered up a Savage Model 25 Walking Varmenter in 22 Hornet. I could not resist. Haven't got to play with the Hornet much yet but at 50 yards was putting the first load I tried into a 1/4 inch.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My Son loves the .223 Axis scope package gun he won @ a game dinner raffle several years ago.

He won it on a single $20 ticket - did I tell you that he ALWAYS wins something @ game dinners ? :mrgreen:

Earlier this year, at separate dinners he won a 12# Pork loin and a depth finder/fish locator.

I won a new 20ga Franchi 48AL Deluxe at a county fair by putting his name on the tickets (5 @ $20); and yes, I gave it to him.

He's taken more than a few coy-dogs here with the Savage.

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a couple of Savage rifles. Accuracy is better than the price suggests it should be. Their triggers are easily lightened to under 5 pounds. Cheap plastic stock, but it is what it is. If you want a better stock, buy one. All in all, good and inexpensive. You don't cry the first time it gets scratched.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost