After Fire Progress Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

After Fire Progress Report

Post by Shasta »

In light of the generosity shown to me by members of this forum after having been burned out in the Carr Fire here in Shasta County, California, I thought I should give a little progress report;

The Office of Emergency Services through a CalRecycle program has finished removing all the debris and ash from my .29 acre city lot. They used a huge excavator and a bunch of dump trucks, and took out a lot of soil. Initial soil testing found lead contamination (I wonder how that happened?) and so had to do a re-scrape and re-test, which passed. The lot was hosed down with a hydro-seeding product designed to stabilize the soil and prevent runoff, and straw wattles were placed around the circumference. I now have to wait for a release letter from OES before I can proceed. I had an arborist examine the eleven trees that we had, and they all have to come out. Then I have to replace the large amount of soil that was removed, which will require engineer testing for compaction and moisture content. We have a local architect drawing up house plans for a slightly better house than we had before. It looks like it will be at least a year or more before we can get everything permitted and built.
We have spent a very great deal of money trying to get our lives back to the way we were, and I am at last back to reloading ammo and hoping to resume bullet casting soon. I just have to figure out how I'm going to deal with several big chunks of debris encrusted lead that will require a lot of work to get back to usable condition.
Well, that's about it for now...

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: After Fire Progress Report

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks for the update, best to ya going forward Shasta.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Still in my prayers.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

We're glad that at least you & yours seem to be in good health - sending kneemail. :)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that there's progress... even if slow.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad that the progress is forward. Keep your faith and don't worry. We are praying for you, too.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks for the update. Been thinking of you.
Glad to see you are moving forward.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Much thanks for the update Shasta: I've been thinking about you and yours. Until this last couple of years I had no idea a wildfire could jump out of the puckerbrush and go on to take out whole subdivisions full of houses. Frightening to think how many millions of us there are out in the western third of the country who are vulnerable to such a fire event.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks for the update Tim.

And thanks again to all the Levergunners who contributed to helping out Tim and his family.

I can't imagine the HE11 that his family -- and far too many others in CA -- have had to endure............

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

Hello All, I thought I should dredge up this old post and update you again on our rebuild progress. We unfortunately hired an architect who turned out to be a crook, and the house plans he promised in two weeks took him a full year to finally produce. I was fortunate to get them at all as he wound up getting arrested and charged with grand theft for taking people's money and not producing plans. This was a major setback for us since most of the neighbors on our street have already completed their new homes and are moved in.
Since all nine of our beautiful trees were killed, we had them removed and the lot was filled and leveled last September. With so many homes destroyed, getting contractors has been difficult because they are all so busy with the hundreds of houses being built. We did get a good contractor who has been great to deal with, but progress has been slow due to his heavy work load and the weather has not been good.
As of now, the foundation, framing, roofing, and most of the exterior sheathing is completed. Here is a picture of it:

The best part is I am having a 24'x24' detached garage built in back that has a built in shop area that will be dedicated to my reloading and bullet casting equipment. :D

Shasta

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Nice looking place!

Be patient with your contractor, but keep in constant contact. I've been building homes for 30+ years. The people that treat me well get done more quickly and get much better service that those that don't.. Most of what I do is insurance losses. On the large ones, I have a weekly or by-weekly meeting with the homeowners. It helps! It's all about the communication.

Best of luck with everything!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Looks great Shasta.....even got yourself a new playroom......every man needs one. Don't know if you planned for it or even care to , but one thing I wish I would have done when we had the house built........a solid concrete room in the basement with a vault door.

Going through a fire loss can stay with with an individual for life. My sisters house burnt to the ground and was full of high dollar antiques and even though insurance paid her well, she said she'd do anything to have it the way it was.----6
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm glad to see things are moving on and you can now see real progress on your new home... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Shasta wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:32 pm Hello All, I thought I should dredge up this old post and update you again on our rebuild progress.
Looks great Tim -- glad to hear it. And thanks for the update.

I honestly can't imagine what you and your neighbors went through... It literally must have been h*ll.............. :shock:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good to hear that things are moving in the right direction.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Good to hear it is getting better...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Glad to hear you are getting back towards returning home. How did you do with getting your lead supply back into usable form?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

earlmck wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:01 pm Glad to hear you are getting back towards returning home. How did you do with getting your lead supply back into usable form?
Most of my lead is still inside the metal ammo cans, melted into a 120 pound brick that is extremely difficult to get out of the can, so I just haven't messed with it much. The loose bullets and bars that melted into the ashes were salvaged, and I have re-melted it into 1 pound bars. The lead was the only thing I was able to salvage out of my reloading shed.

Shasta