Flyover footage of the Camp Fire aftermath, Chico, CA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Flyover footage of the Camp Fire aftermath, Chico, CA

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It gets grimmer as the film goes on. Bitter, bitter lessons here for any of us living here in the West in high-fuel areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... LxWKaiZ5o4
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Flyover footage of the Camp Fire aftermath, Chico, CA

Post by earlmck »

Wow! It's hard to see how loss of life wasn't 10 or 100 times greater. Amazing that so many people managed to escape that thing with the few access roads winding through the fire zone the entire way out and the wind driving the fire so rapidly.

I am having trouble thinking of a more risky place to live, fire-wise, than in and at the edge of the Ponderosa Pine zone. And there must be millions of people living in that zone in the West. Yikes!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, you and I are on the same page on the ponderosa forestlands -- and the juniper zone is even worse if you let it grow near your structure. I'd say steel roofing, steel framing and Hardy plank siding are about the only things that make sense once you have already cleared a very aggressive defensive perimeter. Still wouldn't want to live near an unthinned forest. The accumulated fire and ladder fuels down here in the Lincoln National Forest make me nervous when hiking, and thanks to changing moisture cycles, the USFS often decides not to even try replanting burn scars.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I learned more from that video than from all the slimestream news put together.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

That Luscombe was the first plane I solo`d in. Does give you a good perspective of the fire. Thanks for the lead.