Following in the Footsteps of Nath...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Following in the Footsteps of Nath...

Post by Old No7 »

I love seeing all the images that our friend Nath from across the pond takes when he goes hunting in England. He has a great eye for setting up a shot with a camera -- and for taking a shot with his guns too! I'll never see enough of the pheasants, foxes and other game that he bags over there, or of the beautiful English countryside -- but it's possible that I've seen just "one too many" of his posts about hunting with a blackpowder shotgun............

So.............

A like-new Pedersoli Classic Blackpowder Shotgun 12 ga came up for sale on a blackpowder website recently and after a couple of weeks with no hits, I made the seller an offer and he accepted. So I got a circa 2012 model with the changeable chokes (takes Browning Invector tubes). The seller had told me it was "unfired" and my close inspection shows that to be true.

I'm thrilled with the price, which was shipped to Maine at just under half the cost of a new one listed over on Gunbroker, and I also got 500 each of over powder and fiber cushion wads. So I just need to pick up some over shot cards and a few other small things, and soon I'll be ready to make some smoke with a "frontstuffer" as Nath calls them.

Here's an image I found online...

BP Shotgun 99.JPG

And a close-up pix of the one I got -- can't wait to get out and shoot clays or game with it!

BP Shotgun 04.JPG

But I do intend to test some loads and pattern it first. That will be fun too!

So cheers to my friend Nath -- thanks for leading me into the "dark side" (blackpowder) of shotgunning. :wink:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Following in the Footsteps of Nath...

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the doublegun dark side ;)

I LOVE my 20ga hammergun !

About a year ago, and 2 weeks after it found me, I patterned it @ another generous levergunner's gun club (Thanks, Jason) - where the pattern from each barrel hit the same POI @ about 30yds (just right for the thickets I hunt).

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent choice sirs .

Daryl. In all honesty, you may just need the overshot cards. Especially with the chokes.
A few os cards slip edge on past the chokes a treat and are turned by the rammer as they seat on the powder.

Now, here is a message from my three year old granddaughter whom spotted the smilies!

:shock: :idea: :idea: :? :?: :!: :lol: :oops: :mrgreen:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice find, my old double had no choke but but would pattern just as well with only over shot wads like Nath suggested.…. :D
My first venture into the Dark Side I just used toilet paper for wadding :shock: it did work but was liable to start forest fires… :oops:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:46 am Nice find, my old double had no choke but but would pattern just as well with only over shot wads like Nath suggested.…. :D
My first venture into the Dark Side I just used toilet paper for wadding :shock: it did work but was liable to start forest fires… :oops:
:lol: I keep the toilet paper for my pleasure. The frontstuffer gets newspaper if that's all there is.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nath, when I used toilet paper for wadding I had to use whatever the missus bought ( pink ) so I told my shooting buddies Pink gave higher velocity than White, I was surprised by how many believed me... :lol:
Darryl, I'm sure your new front stuffer will provide not only great hunting but humor too..… :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:02 am Nath, when I used toilet paper for wadding I had to use whatever the missus bought ( pink ) so I told my shooting buddies Pink gave higher velocity than White, I was surprised by how many believed me... :lol:
Darryl, I'm sure your new front stuffer will provide not only great hunting but humor too..… :wink:
:lol: :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Just to tease Daryl :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Very nice fellars, 8) doesn`t bees nest work good for a wad?
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks guys!

The dark side was calling and I listened... The great condition and nice price helped too!

To Nath and John -- so this is all I need ? ! ? :wink:

Pink TP.jpg

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have had the same Pedersoli 12 gauge for along time. Great Shooter, fantastic quality, never a problem. while not traditional I use OX-Yoke Wonder wads, one over the powder, one over the shot . makes loading easy. sure hope I get time to shoot it more if/when I retire. Enjoy. https://www.rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetail/s ... /27026/727
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/

If you want to experiment these folks have everything from old style to the latest. Couldn't load my 16's without them.

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nice double, Daryl. I have had the Pedersolis in all three gauges, and oddly, the fixed-choke 20 gave me the best patterns and handled better than the heavier gauges -- in my hands anyway.
I have used Ox-yoke wads, but usually go with Circle Fly.
Funny, I was just handling a William Moore at a gun show yesterday. This was a make favored by ML shotgun guru V.M. Starr.

https://circlefly.com/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Pitchy wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:03 am Very nice fellars, 8) doesn`t bees nest work good for a wad?
Guess everyone new that. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pitchy wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:03 am
Pitchy wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:03 am Very nice fellars, 8) doesn`t bees nest work good for a wad?
Guess everyone new that. :)
Yes Pitchy it does and so does leaves.
I stamp leather and old hats too.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Thanks Nath, i guess the point i was alluding to was the mention of a material that isn`t a fire hazzard which i don`t think bees nest does.
Leaves, cloth, news paper tend to light the woods on fire. :)
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Very fashionable chapeau you have there, Nath!

Pitchy, I have used a pinch of paper wasp nest under a patched round ball to prevent patch burnout. Worked fine. Still have a hunk in my possibles box.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pitchy wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:30 pm Thanks Nath, i guess the point i was alluding to was the mention of a material that isn`t a fire hazzard which i don`t think bees nest does.
Leaves, cloth, news paper tend to light the woods on fire. :)
Yes sure.
I have heard that wasp paper can still smoulder.... sometimes!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nath wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:30 pm I stamp leather and old hats too.
Um, gee, I guess I won't be following you on that Nath... :wink:
Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:38 am Nice double, Daryl. I have had the Pedersolis in all three gauges, and oddly, the fixed-choke 20 gave me the best patterns and handled better than the heavier gauges -- in my hands anyway.
I have used Ox-yoke wads, but usually go with Circle Fly.
Thanks Bill. I have heard of some guys who feel the large 1/2" tall fiber cushion wads will do nothing but blow a big donut hole (empty in the middle) in your pattern. I've also read where some guys will cut them in half or thirds and put all 2 or 3 pieces in, or crumble them up some, just so they don't disrupt the shot pattern so much.
.45colt wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:27 am I have had the same Pedersoli 12 gauge for along time. Great Shooter, fantastic quality, never a problem. while not traditional I use OX-Yoke Wonder wads, one over the powder, one over the shot . makes loading easy.
Thanks .45colt, yes, I will have many options to try -- hours and hours of fun ahead of me!

Old No7
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yes sir, to much gas pops a thick wad through the shot to some degree.
A guy who visits here stumbled on a good thing if you have loads of fibre wads and gotta use them. Skychief' is is handle on the muzzle loading forum and we all call it 'the skychief' load'.

You load with just thin cards or what have you betwixt powder and shot, the soaked with olive oil fibre wad goes on top of the shot.
The general consensus is the heavy wad retains some momentum and clears the shot column or put differently does not slow up into the shot etc.
I have tested it and it does work.

Certainly if used conventionally break the wad up first.
The good thing about oil wet wadding be it felt, leather or fibre it helps to keep the fowling soft. Even just thin cards can become a grease cookie by adding a blob of lube every now and then.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I have one of the Pedersoli baker plains shotguns and like it a lot.I also have one of the Euroarms magnum Cape guns and a Pedersoli flint mortimer in 12ga
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

barbarossa wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:13 pm Image

I have one of the Pedersoli baker plains shotguns and like it a lot.I also have one of the Euroarms magnum Cape guns and a Pedersoli flint mortimer in 12ga
8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nath, quite the hat design, it could catch on.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:17 am Nath, quite the hat design, it could catch on.
It's based on the string vest principle.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Remarkably well executed.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

:lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Another lady for your sorority! :wink: