Anyone else remember this bullet?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone else remember this bullet?

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I used to see them in bags of 250. Man the lube on them was grungy, but they sure looked like pure quill and shot very well out of an early Vaquero I had with 7 1/2-inch barrel in .45 Colt -- and with black powder as well.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16014 ... round-nose
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Anyone else remember this bullet?

Post by J Miller »

I still have some. Very good bullets, really grungy lube. I have to take my seating die apart and clean it about every 150 rounds.

To bad they show them as discontinued.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I also still have some of these. I was looking for a .455 bullet for my SAA, but when I miked them, they were actually .453". Still, being of soft material, they obturated very well & provided exceptional accuracy from my EMF Hartford Cavalry SAA, which I had shortened to 5-1/2". I think I'm gonna order more of these pretty soon, IF I can find something similar, or maybe a box in a LGS. Merry Christmas everyone! jd45
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Good luck finding some, JD. There are likely a few stashes out there. My thought is that the dished base helped with the obturation, and maybe that's why they shot so well.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

That's a very good point, Bill...…….something I'd forgotten. I inspected one of the few I've got left, & sure enough, as you point out the base is slightly concave, which the gas acts on to help the bullet grab the rifling & sealing it to give it a little "kick in the butt" aiding accuracy. I was also looking for the Winchester version, (255grs I believe) which had a much more pronounced indentation, sort of like a truncated cone projectile, only "female". I think I saw it in an article by Brian Pearce in Handloader Magazine several years ago but I doubt these are available as a component. I don't think Win offers the loaded ammo anymore. The only way a person might get the Rem version would be to buy their .45 Colt Express ammo, which pushes the 250RN to about 860 in their catalog, that is, IF it's still available. Have a good day! jd
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Google Bear Creek Supply; they offer several calibers of moly coated hollow base style bullets. I have some that I intend to try in my .44-40.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Winchester discontinued the 255 gr lead .45 Colt bullet many years ago. I have a number of boxes of them found at a gun shop in IL some years ago. They have a large depression in the base and measured out at .456".
The Remington version weighed 250 grs and those I've used were .455". The base of the older loaded ammo bullets had a much more concave base than the last version available to the reloaders.

I still see the Remington and Winchester factory .45 Colt ammo on the shelves, but it could be what is left in the pipeline.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Thanx for the info, Joe. Hope you're doin well. Gotta be doin better since you're out of Illinois, eh? Merry Christmas, jd
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Talk about grungy lube.I have a couple hundred .30 cal flatnose gaschech bullets I load for my H & R singleshot 30.30.They were lubed with old RR steam engine grease .Cast from wheelweights with a little extra old lead pipe to soften them.XMP5744,a small amount of fish tank filter material as a fill to keep powder down on primer and regular LG rifle primer gives 3" groups at 50yds.Good enough for "the smell of cordite in the morning"..