Heritage Arms Sentry double action revolver in 38 spl ..... opinions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Heritage Arms Sentry double action revolver in 38 spl ..... opinions?

Post by wm »

Found for sale locally (feels more like it found me honestly) and am going to go look at tomorrow afternoon. Nickel plated, double action with 2" barrel, bought new by the current owners father in law in the mid 90s. What little I can find on it makes me think it most closely resembles a charter arms revolver (which isn't the worst thing in the world). Anyway the asking price is $100 but I sense considerable wiggle room.

I was thinking about buying it and storing it in a ammo can lock box up at hunting property. I would rather have a S&W model 10 with a 3" barrel or a Ruger Speed Six or Colt Cobra but you know budgets and what not.

So any one have first hand knowledge? Second hand? Intuition? WAG?

Wm
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Heritage Arms Sentry double action revolver in 38 spl ..... opinions?

Post by Rusty »

I've never heard of it but for a little bit more you might find an old S&W. IMHO.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

i have an heritage rough rider .22lr/magnum single action. they good for the bucks. they are good for farms or a throw around truck gun. you be better off with a s@w or a ruger for better quality. just my two cents.
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Crude little revolver. I bought it for $40. The seller really wanted to be rid of it. I think I could have gotten it for less if I had tried. And even at $40 I have already a little buyers remorse.

I stopped at range and fired 12 rounds of 38 spl 148 grain wadcutters at 600 ish fps. They all went bang and grouped decently well. But you have to pull pin and remove cylinder to load and unload the firearm.

Gunshow this weekend and this little revolver is going there with me and is not coming home.

Wm
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If keep it. It is reliable and basic.

There's something to be said for a gun that functions reliably but is not one you would be particularly sad if it got stolen.

Those make the perfect emergency guns to stowaway someplace in a can packed with ammo....sure, a Ruger or Smith could do the same job, but if someone swiped it from your retreat you would be out way more than $40, and a lot more upset.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:11 pm If keep it. It is reliable and basic.

There's something to be said for a gun that functions reliably but is not one you would be particularly sad if it got stolen.

Those make the perfect emergency guns to stowaway someplace in a can packed with ammo....sure, a Ruger or Smith could do the same job, but if someone swiped it from your retreat you would be out way more than $40, and a lot more upset.
+1
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Years ago when I was a LEO I took an old RG .32 off a guy I caught shooting dice. He had a cut off nail in it for a center pin but it went bang every time. The moral of the story is poor people have a right to defend themselves too.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Buyers remorse over $40???? Just because junk is junk and always will be junk does not mean to have to hurry and get your $40 back...as long as it shoots, it's worth something as a tool.

What a shame.....I took 6 non working real junkers to a Philly gun buy back program last summer and got $1200 in supermarket credit. We pretty much ate free for a month or more. Thank you liberals for donating money so me and mom could eat free. :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I believe any gun that works and does no harm to me (or the shooter) is a good gun. In the '60s I bought a Rossi revolver, 3" 38 Special. It was all I could afford. Yep, now that is a fairly crude gun, and I've had to do some minor 'smithing to keep it working, but I had many, many hours of shooting fun, and this gun got me into reloading. I'll have to dig it out and shoot it soon...

All guns are good guns. Some are just better than others... :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:11 pm If keep it. It is reliable and basic.

^^^^ This ^^^^
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Well I swapped the Heritage 38 spl and a old RCBS rock chucker press I bought at local flea market for $60 this past summer& $25 cash for 1000 rounds of 9mm steel case of Russian manufacture that my buddy wanted who then swapped me a S&W model 10-8 that was reimported by CAI. He thinks it was Philippine or Columbian police firearm and it needs a new main spring but otherwise it seems to be in good shape.

All in all I consider it a good trade for all involved but particularly for me. It reinforced my opinion that this time of year leading up to Christmas and then through to April 15th (tax time) always seems to be the best time for making deals here in Michigan. The other half of the year prices are more or less set and dealers seem less enthused about dealing.

Wm
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

You made out on that trade. Your friend...not so much.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

out of all the guns i own, ( just bought a winchester 1873 in 44-40) the rossi .357 is the only one to give me any bit of trouble, had nate jones slick it up for me, now shoots anything i throw through it.
gforce 12ga semi
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

44shooter wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:42 am You made out on that trade. Your friend...not so much.
The trade was his idea. He has little to no regard for revolvers or the 38 spl cartridge. He took this in as part of package of firearms from an estate to get a S&W 1006 that he has been after for sometime.

It all began when I told him about buying the Heritage and he was irked that I would buy a 38 from someone else when he was anxious to unload one.

I just wish he was anxious to unload some other stuff but its probably good that he isn't. Budgets. Responsibility. Priorities. blah - blah - blah :lol:

Wm
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Didn't mean to imply you took advantage. As long as everyone is happy. I'd rather have one good 10 than a basket full of Heritages