Nice video on the design and manufacture of Mini-14

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Nice video on the design and manufacture of Mini-14

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Nice video on the design and manufacture of Mini-14

Post by piller »

I have a Mini 30. I like it and it is accurate enough. Handloads get about 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards, and steel case Russion junk gets between 3 to 9 inch groups. My handloads would be what I would use if I ever took it out hunting.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Regardless of your feelings about the 'mini' (I personally like them), this is a great analysis of design, engineering, and manufacture of one of Ruger products.

It shows why Ruger, the company, is where it is.

The old man with his original .22 Mk1 started it all with sheet metal and simple construction/manufacture.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep - the changes vs. the M1A/M14 make a lot of sense from a manufacturing standpoint, and if the only sacrifice is going from an easy 1 MOA to an easy 4 MOA, there is no real disadvantage in terms of the 'ranch rifle' concept. Ruger has improved accuracy, although there are several aftermarket companies that will do and sell modifications that help quite a bit. I have one of the Har-Bar modifications on one of my early-model Mini-14's, and it shrunk groups by 75% or so (from 4-5" to 1" or slightly over). It was a 10-minute install, and makes the gun look (sort of) more like a miniature M1A, which is kind of cool in its own right.
Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 5.15.53 PM.png
http://www.gunblast.com/JessHardin-Mini14.htm

I do think it's funny how so many dudes say the Mini-14 is a piece of garbage due to lack of accuracy, yet will turn right around and praise the 'AK' despite the fact that there are likely very few AK's that would hit a soccer-ball at 100 yards any more reliably than Mini-14's would, plus the Rugers use what is now more widely available, cheaper, and useable-in-other-guns type ammunition. AR's they are not, but Mini-14's definitely meed the perfect definition of 'truck gun', even moreso than leverguns, since you can't usually leave a (tubular) levergun magazine loaded in most jurisdictions, but you can slip an empty 5-rounder in your Mini-14, and have an ammo-can full of loaded 30-rounders, and be fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve, that is a nice looking Mini.

What are the '1911' buffers you speak of...?

Your comment on the M1A 'out of box' accuracy vs after accurizing or going the 'National Match' route makes sense. If a person spent what a sub-MOA M1A costs on accurizing a Mini-14, or that much buying one that has been made into a 'Match-grade' gun by a third party, they'd not be disappointed. Glad to see Ruger themselves join the party.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Whoa, Steve, great post. I have avoided the Ruger Minis for all the reasons mentioned. Good to hear they are "fixable," especially with current manufacturing and design improvements.
I had heard about the Har-bar mod that Doc mentioned. Are the current Mini14s in .223 more or less accurate than the current Mini-30s?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have mini-14 made in ‘79. Really like the all wood stock and hand guard. I learned they are over gassed after I got it, I like the fact it will shoot a 50gr bullet at 2600fps and is 100% reliable. Hopefully it will function with that or 55gr bullet down to 2300fps so I can use it like a reloadable 22 Mag +P+, for woods loafing. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Got a Mini, early '80's vintage, 183 series. Good, no great gun for what it is.

Can easily accept the 4 MOA accuracy, for a carbine it's useful and effective to 100 yards.

It's amazing how our expectations have changed, and Ian brought this out in another video interview with Ken Hackathorn on the M1 carbine

50's and 60's, we accepted that accuracy level (and worse) and less than 100% reliability because, well that's just the way it was.

Now, unless it eats every mismatched round available, fires and ejects, 1 MOA or better out of the box, on a windy day with snow blowing both directions, it's a junk gun.

I impressed myself building a $500 AR platform gun couple years ago. Now you can find them at sub-$400.

At that point, don't know how much longer Ruger will catalog the Mini. I can't believe their sales numbers are that good.

( edited to add link to that interview, it's fascinating: https://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2 ... rbine.html )