prayers and suggestions for guidance

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

prayers and suggestions for guidance

Post by mickbr »

probably aint the place and I am a new guy here, but I got an older friend who is about 70 having a few problems. They thought they were having a TIA or a small stroke each day, but we worked out it was always 1230pm to about 130pm they were acting a little out, a bit slurry and wobbly, then they would improve. If they hadn't eaten in the morning it was a little worse but didn't make a whole lot of difference, it wasn't sugar levels. The doc did every test in the book, ct, mri, heart engiogram and echo, holtmann monitor, lots of bloods, heavy metals test, nothing showed except a minor high thyroid reading and some elevated lipases. Anyone ever heard of something like this that can cause same symtpoms every day same time that aint food related? The person also got stiff muscles the last year so they thought maybe parkinsons starting but where does this daily episode fit with that?

They sort of gave up checking further not having much finances, but one thing I think they left out is she takes a diuretic at about midnight for blood pressure which is slow realease. So I was thinking of suggesting maybe if its slow release it coincides with this turn they are having about 12 hours later? Could it do this? They are sort of accepting of the problem now so I don't want to stir it all up, but its bugging me.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: prayers and suggestions for guidance

Post by mikld »

Wow, be praying for your friend. I have has those symptoms, sorta, when I forget to take my blood pressure meds for a few days (I have a hard time remembering to take pills!). Sometimes a few cups of coffee, a little work (setting up targets and shooting bench) skip breakfast, and I'll get blurred vision, wobbly knees, weakness, and dizzy. I sit down for a few minutes and it goes away. But then as one fellow described this old guy, "You look like you've been rode hard and put away wet"...

BTW; 70 is just reaching a good age, like fine wine (or good ole sour mash)...

Later, I reread this post and I'm not making light of your friend's situation, I just enjoy life at 72. I went through 2+ years of cancer treatment, have a permanently screwed up knee and I have my FTFs and fliers often. Every day I wake up and not "come to" is a good day. Besides, every day is a good day, some ate just better than others...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I honestly mean no offense, but do think alcohol might be involved?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lots of measurable hormones fluctuate daily, and influence things, causes problems, or are affected by problems.

Insulin (and of course therefore blood sugar).
Testosterone and Estrogen (both in both sexes).
Even triglycerides and lipids fluctuate like that.

Lots of non-fluctuating things affect mental status as well, like thyroid (lots of older people lack iodine, selenium, zinc, magnesium, and/or adequate sex hormones, so they make more Reverse-T3 from their T-4 than they do T-3). Pregnenolone sometimes plays a role, if you listen to some of the 'alternative medicine' docs. Many people show 'adequate' B-12 levels, but if you measure their methylmalonic acid, it is elevated, indicating that THEY don't have enough for THEIR needs. About a third of us have methylation problems indicated by MTHFR mutations and/or elevated homocysteine levels, and that impairs neurologic function, and increases cardiovascular risk. Many docs get caught up in the rut of day-to-day survival, and don't read the literature (except to go to drug-company-sponsored 'continuing education' meetings in Hawaii), or just don't want to bother having to figure out what to do about stuff they don't fully understand, so you want someone who checks into things a bit more than average, but on the other hands, some get into lots of 'gimmiks' and go way out in the weeds medically for the wrong reasons.

Lots of things the docs can check, easily and cheaply.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Dehydration? Have her drink a glass of water yes water about 11am. Most folks do not drink enough water. Not that bottled stuff that has been filtered so much its devoid of minerals. Cant hurt to try and cheap!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:13 pm Dehydration? Have her drink a glass of water yes water about 11am. Most folks do not drink enough water. Not that bottled stuff that has been filtered so much its devoid of minerals. Cant hurt to try and cheap!
My very elderly Mom would slip into Sundowners much earlier if she didn't drink lots of water. She just would not do it on her own. Actually, anything you tried to impress upon her she would fight ya like a tiger. :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A long acting diuretic taken late at night would cause some odd reactions if the person didn't get enough water. It seems counterintuitive, but diuretics make it absolutely necessary to get enough water.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Since symptoms occur at same time daily, sounds like it may be medication related. Did doc check for drug interactions ?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm not a doctor and I don't play on on tv...

However has this person been checked for a urinary tract infection? It's known that elderly get UTIs and that can cause some goofy symptoms.

I have a neighbor, widow, cancer survivor, and she has been having some weird symptoms. The docs do tests and can't find anything. The skin pinch test showed she was dry. I suggested she drink more water. Sadly in this case this cancer melds have caused more problems as well.

I'm just spitballing here, again not a doctor...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

You guys may not be doctors but your common sense is up to par. I am not a doctor but I am a nurse and the things that popped into my head were, medication side effect/interactions, dehydration(d/t diuretic), or UTI. No idea if we are right but all pretty easy to check. Well done guys.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thanks all for the replies! The person has had delirirum tests and for UIT's it all came up nil, this has been occurring for several months now. I think its maybe the drugs, I am not sure what their hydration levels are like though. I might raise the point with them.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

What I do know is that I will die before taking Eliquis again. Had a blood clot from running over my leg with the Jeep and I was dizzy, disoriented, and nauseous a week after being on Eliquis. I told the doc and he said it was in my head. I took it for two months and stopped a month short. It took two weeks but after I stopped it I was back to normal.

No personal offense to our own very great AJMD but it's my uneducated belief older people are over medicated.

Water, water, water....older folks need to be fully hydrated. Yea, you got to pizz a lot but ya feel better. Eating regularly is also important.

Some of the most complex health problems can be remedied by the simplest of solutions. ----6
Model A Uzi’s
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

What everybody else said.

More water, more veggies, and more exercise.

This is an older person, and maybe isn't moving around as much anymore.
Exercise can work wonders for blood pressure. How high's the blood pressure,
and have other things been tried?

Might be a good idea to surf the 'net a bit and find out what side effects have
been reported for the particular drug he or she is on. Every maleffect is not
necessarily on the label, folks. If a drug IS needed, maybe try another one.

-Stretch
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Blood sugar levels are also a potential issue. Low blood sugar is irrevocably tied in to alzheimers. Even 1 episode of low blood sugar causing you to fall down is enough to know that you will have alzheimers. Low is as dangerous as high in blood sugar levels.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost